Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline
    Are you planning on bringing all of the principal's documented bad behaviors (shows a pattern)?

Ugh. Good luck.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    I ran the question of this FBA eval past DD's psych and she said "no way" - that it is totally inappropriate. So it seems that all of this fuss and drama was for nothing. They blindsided us and tried to force us into approving an eval on the spot, tried to get the record to reflect that we rejected their request when in reality we said we needed to discuss with DD's psych and it turns out to be a totally inappropriate eval.

You can't make this stuff up if you try...

N
    N
    Perhaps you could suggest to the superintendent that it seems to be time to do a Functional Behavior Analysis to determine what is triggering the principal's anxiety? smile

I won't say this is all unbelievable, because I have seen plenty of school administration behaviors that take the cake, but it is all unacceptable to say the least. I hope your superintendent gets it straightened out for you!

I am with MON, though -- the sweet "noticed you left early, are you ok" email is not about a "nice approach", it's about provoking a response that you can use against her. If you get a nice response (unlikely), that's all well and good and you can leave it at face value, and if you get no response, same thing, but more likely you could get an insane rant and that's ammunition. Made even better by the fact that it was in response to a perfectly nice email of yours.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Superintendent meeting was yesterday - well, sort of. I told Consultant I would really rather he speak to her alone if possible. I figured he could talk "superintendent to superintendent." Cut through all the nonsense and try to (finally) get something substantive done for DD.

So we got there and he asked to speak alone for a few minutes. New DSS was there and totally acting submissive and awkward, wouldn't make eye contact with us, scrambled to find a room where she could wait rather than be anywhere near me and DH. About 40 minutes later Consultant came out, smiling, and said "Let's get out of here and grab a cup of coffee." DH and I never entered superintendents office.

Apparently they dispensed with the principal's outrageous behavior pretty quickly. "I am aware of it and am addressing it. Obviously I expect my staff to behave in a professional manner at all times. I can't discuss it but I am aware of it and am addressing it." Consultant told her "the parents understand that." He said superintendent appreciated that we handled it this way. However this opened up the opportunity for him to explain why this situation absolutely cannot continue. The parents feel disrespected and cannot trust the district. It is unfortunate because the district is spending a lot of money and providing a lot of services but this situation simply cannot continue. "We just had 6 hours of [IEP meetings] involving 12 people all to review and implement a simple AT eval. And that is going to happen with everything. This cannot keep happening."

So after indicating that he has tried to work with new Director of Pupil Personnel Services "but she's too green - she doesn't understand how to make it work" he went on to walk superintendent through step-by-step how to arrange for the OOD placement DD needs. He spelled it all out - including how to word things so the district is protected. He pointed out that this is the very last attempt before we bring in the spec ed lawyer. "And you know [lawyer] - he'll come in and work his magic and you will end up agreeing. You know that. This is the last chance we have to save both the district and the parents unnecessary legal fees. Wouldn't you rather spend that money on the child?" Oh, and the district's attorney is the same consultant worked with in his prior district so he knew EXACTLY how to present this to her, too.

So it went well even though I assume principal will slide as she always has. However it is one more mark we have managed to get on her record. In principal superintendent agrees that DD's needs aren't going to be met in district. She understands that we have found an OOD placement we think will work but are open to considering others if they propose them. If it doesn't work amicably we will bring in the attorney. She knows this attorney and he has been very successful against our district. Basically she has our consultant, at our cost, working out a mediated settlement. Now we just wait and see what happens.

S
    S
    Doing a little happy dance for you! laugh

E
    E
    Wow, I hope it plays out the way you hope - this would be a great resolution to it all.

D
    D
    Pemb, you are doing it just right. Kudos to you and Consultant. :-)

Hoping,
    DeeDee

Wow-- what a terrific amount of progress!! So thrilled for your family, Pemberly. laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Fingers crossed things keep going well now!

I
    I
    Pemberly, Wonderful! I am so happy to read this!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM