Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Hi there. I agree with the "fudging" of ages being wrong, and also the pushing of ages. One thing if the instructor asks the child to bump up (ie "doubtful guest"'s experience, and another poster's experience), but otherwise, I believe it is wrong and you should look elsewhere. I say this as the parent of gifted children, who could EASILY move up to higher groups, but also as the parent of children who has been so incredibly irritated by younger children pushing their way into older groups. They may not belong from an ability-standpoint, even if their parents think they do, but they really don't belong from a peer standpoint. Even being in the shoes of a gifted parent, and knowing my kids can go up, I can swear to you that my older, gifted children really don't want to be surrounded by younger children in these activities. There are age brackets for a reason. Sometimes these activities are also fun social opportunities for kids. Picture yourself, with your 3 year old. Would you want them in class with a 1 year old, regardless of how genius that baby might be? Probably not. Fast forward to when they are 7. Do they want to be in class with a 4 year old? Probably not. It's not just about what your child gets out of it, but think about if your child is hampering the positive experience of others. I've almost never seen the kids who were pushed upwards to be anything but utterly annoying to the older kids. Breaking the rules is not a good idea. And I offer this as someone who is frequently tempted to push my kids up. However, if your child is proactively invited to move up, that's great!! (Although again, I think it's fair to take a few moments to think about whether they will be fully welcomed and appreciated by the other paying families who are within the rules--who wants to be the annoying family that irritates everyone? It's easy enough to provide stimulation for your kids). My two cents, I realize it may be controversial!!!! Good luck.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    with ongoing extracurriculars, we've found that when the age-grouping isn't working, it gets so obvious that someone (instructor/librarian/kid/us) speaks up.

Their perceptiveness is reassuring!

Originally Posted by C squared
    My two cents, I realize it may be controversial!!!! Good luck

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, C squared. I see value in hearing opinions on both sides of the issue and appreciate your thoughtful input.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM