Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #152503 04/03/13 07:41 AM
    OP Offline
    Our daughters love Legos and we have amassed quite a collection. Our problem is this - DD9 likes to build things but then doesn't want to ever take her creations apart. Her solution is to bribe her sister into letting her use her Legos or to just go buy more(or more often than not - ask us to buy her more). I wonder if maybe she just needs to move on to something beyond Legos, but what would that be?

She is already doing some motorized Legos at school and both girls are currently putting together a helicopter Erector set at home.
    We have some Magformers that she rarely even touches and I even dug out my old Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs(which I loved back in the day), but she didn't care much for them. I also found a 3D puzzle at a garage sale that we will try.

Here are some things I've thought about getting - please tell me what you think or if you have any other ideas!
    1. K'Nex
    2. Keva Contraptions
    3. Snapcircuits
    4. Elenco Electronics (I really like the thought of the Electronic Playground, but not sure if the product will hold up)

Since you're a frugal mom, here's a frugal answer: Minecraft. Your DD can build endlessly with it. It doesn't take up space, and you don't have to keep buying parts.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Since you're a frugal mom, here's a frugal answer: Minecraft. Your DD can build endlessly with it. It doesn't take up space, and you don't have to keep buying parts.

Exactly! I've heard about Minecraft, but haven't really looked into it - it may be time!

D
    D
    Have you tried taking pictures and doing an album or scrapbook?
    Maybe that would free her to dismantle projects.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by daytripper75
    Have you tried taking pictures and doing an album or scrapbook?
    Maybe that would free her to dismantle projects.

She does the same with all her other "projects" she creates. She may cut interesting things out of magazines, color a bunch of pictures, or name everything in her room using little cut out pieces of paper (this is a popular one for her), or use sticks to form some creation, etc. Once she gets her "projects" put together, she never wants to throw them away. I've managed to sneak a lot of these in the trash over the years, but every time she finds out it is like I threw out the most important thing in her life. If I didn't get rid of these things her room would be filled from floor to ceiling by now. The issue with the Legos is that they take up more room than the paper-type things she does and I can't sneak them into the trash and I don't want to - I just want her to reuse them to make something else.

I like the idea of doing an album. She is doing photography in 4-H this year so we may try to do an album of all her photos instead of just using the ones we choose for the fair.

S
    S
    I agree with Minecraft. But can she move up to Lego Mindstorm? My son did that at around 8 or 9, and he basically stopped with the kits. Problem is, now my 7 yo dd has all the old kits in her room!

We don't have this same problem with legos, but my daughter seems to have some SERIOUS hoarding tendencies. We have to implement limits. Her personal favorite is keeping paper! Doesn't matter what it is, she wants to KEEP IT ALL. So, when a big stack of stuff comes home from school, I tell her she can select FOUR items to keep in the drawer in her room - the rest go into the recycling. She's gotten a bit better, thank god.

~amy
    M
    M
    my solution to this (with my stepson when he was younger and for the future with our little boys) is NOT buying the kits but buying used Lego in bulk on eBay. That way they can go wild with their imagination, can follow the books to create but still have to substitute for missing parts and even if they want to keeps some of their creations, they have a lot of other blocks to build with. I am planning on switching DS4.5 from Duplo blocks to regular Legos when he turns 5 in the summer. We still use Duplos mainly because DS3 still puts things in his mouth so we try to only have bigger pieces of "stuff" around him. I have already started buying them on eBay (got 3 lots in the last 3 weeks totaling about 25lbs of lego pieces for about $115)

U
    U
    This reminds me that I have been meaning to start a thread about DD's hoarding issues...

P
    P
    A few random thoughts for you:

Our ds was (and is) really into Legos. He transitioned easily into Minecraft - and my other kids (who like Legos but aren't passionate about them) also went through a phase of really liking Minecraft. BUT - fwiw, I wouldn't purposely choose to intro them to it - it's online, it's a screen activity, and for my gang, it was far more "addicting" than working on a Lego project ever was. So if you have any concerns about screen time, I wouldn't intro Minecraft until your kids first hear about it from their friends smile

If you're not worried about screen time, my kids also went through a Spore phase prior to Minecraft, and in some ways I like Spore better - it's something kids who love to build will enjoy - it's just a different type of "building" (you build civilizations). Personally I think it offers a bit more of a brainy challenge than Minecraft.

Re the saving things forever - my dd9 went through a long phase of that, but for her it was just a phase so it might be just a phase for your dd too. I don't have any great parenting advice to get you through it - for our dd we basically just had to say "these are family rules, we don't keep ____ (or we only keep ____ x #s etc)". I like the idea of taking pictures and keeping a scrapbook as a way of easing out of keeping everything.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM