Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi all,
    I am going to be having my DS6 who has an Autism Dx (he is mild aka high functioning) take the WISC IV,
    and
    I was wondering if I should tell her about his DX?

My thoughts were this is a Child Clinical Psychologist, surely he would note some disabilities if there are any to be noted?

Most people would never guess DS is Autistic, so I guess I am curious what a trained Professional would see during the course of testing...?

But is this fair? to DS or to Tester? Any thoughts?

Am I setting DS up to fail by NOT letting Tester know his Dx?

At same time, I do not want Tester to have any preconceived notions of what he can/cannot do... if that makes any sense?

Finally, I am interested in finding out DS IQ- as well as how he fares on the 10 subtests. I want to know his strengths and weaknesses. (are these what others have referred to as the "raw scores"?)

Do I need to make sure the Tester is planning to include:
    raw scores (subtests?), the 4Composite/Index Scores, FSIQ, and GAI?(though my understanding is the GAI is only given if the Composite Scores vary by 23points or greater)?

Is there anything else I need to make sure is included?

*Should I ask for the "test age equiv"?
    -------------------
    ok, please let me know about the Autism Dx, and if I should inform or not- I am concerned that not just due to his Dx- but also because on a test, or on any question really--he takes his time and wants to get the correct answer- that his processing speed may be on the lower end and therefore bring down his FSIQ.

Sorry this is so long. I am still learning all about testing, and I am feeling anxious about it. That said, I just really want to have a clear picture of DS and how I can better work with him, as well as more info to help in advocacy for him with the schools.

Thanks so much smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

22B Offline
    My non-expert opinion would be to not tell them anything like that. Just have the administer the WISC-IV and see what results show up without the tester being influenced by knowledge of past results or diagnoses. The detailed results may confirm or contradict previous results, but at least you'll have received another independent opinion.

An interesting question would be, in what way does Autism manifest itself in WISC-IV results?

Z
    Z
    Alternatively, results on a moderated test like WISC may be more accurate if the tester has better information to create a positive rapport with the child.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Normally, I would say that if you can't trust your tester with the info, you need a new tester.

I agree with this.

Are you only having the WISC, or also other testing? If you want to rule the autism in/out you should get a wider battery of tests.

If your sole goal is an IQ score, knowing about the autism dx would possibly matter in how the testing report is written. FWIW our neuropsych told us that IQ scores tend to go up and become more coherent after autism has been remediated for a time; this suggests to me that you may not get an accurate score for a relatively young child with autism. It's better to know this going in. And probably better for your tester to know what s/he's dealing with in terms of the accuracy of the scores, as well.

DeeDee

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Alternatively, results on a moderated test like WISC may be more accurate if the tester has better information to create a positive rapport with the child.

I agree... I'd say tell the tester. The more information they have the better, imho.

C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    all wonderful advice!
    thank you so much!

Without actually saying "autism" I did sorta list some concerns we did have way back when(that eventually led to his dx @age 3)
    I did sorta HINT strongly to the Tester I am considering using, via a phone "interview", that yes, my DS spoke very early, but then he "stopped talking" and even though he did start to speak again- I noted that he seemed to have social difficulties in interacting with peers- DS does ok with adults and older kids. DS also has 1gifted peer and they get along excellently! (is that a word?),
    I told Tester that he seems to need to work on his Pragmatics (he actually DOES receive Speech Therapy to work on his pragmatics)---
    Tester said from all the other stuff I described that really he doesn't sound any different than any other gifted little boy- this of course without test- and we also discussed how a child can be a high achiever without having "gifted IQ" which is where possibly my DS is (and which I would/am totally okay with)
    This tester really believes that a gifted child needs to be around intellectual peers and that homeschool is not a good choice. Also disc with me the different way in which they learn. (which I already know, DS is NOT traditional sequential learner)

OH- Tester said would make SURE DS comfortable with her and that she works very hard to establish that, believing a more relaxed happy child will do better on a test vs an anxious child (that's a given for anyone), and she believes in breaks and even coming back for another session if needed...

OK I am still on fence.
    but leaning towards NOT saying anything else, except to make sure Tester knows DS "reserved" ?

and if Tester does start to mention anything afterwards, I will be honest re Dx, and decline further testing.
    ****if Tester NEVER observes NO s/sx/concerns re Dx THEN I might also tell Tester at this point.
    *I would not authorize any further testing.
    Thanks again smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

P
    P
    I'm replying from my phone so can't go into detail but fwiw I'd be inclined to share the information about your ds' previous diagnoses and also dhare that you have doubts about it (if you do). I see this as an opportunity to get "data" from another professional, not just IQ data but also her impressions of your ds' behavior etc. I think you will have a better chance of getting all-around feedback and valuable information if you are upfront about everything.

Fwiw - we've been in a similar situation with ms ds and an incorrect ADHD diagnosis when he was in early elementary, and sharing the info is how we've chosen to approach the situation, and it's worked out well for us. A reputable tester is not going to purposely change out or skew tests based on a previous diagnosis; they will draw their own conclusions through looking at the whole child.

Best wishes,

polarbear

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    A reputable tester is not going to purposely change out or skew tests based on a previous diagnosis; they will draw their own conclusions through looking at the whole child.

This has been my experience as well.

M
    M
    I would absolutely share the diagnosis you have, and equally to share any concerns you may have about that diagnosis.

I have to say that most people can't tell my DD is on the spectrum either. Heck, plenty of professionals can't tell that she's on the spectrum. But that doesn't change the fact that she IS and knowing that she is, or might be, or whatever, that does help professionals think about how best to deal with her.

If your child had a speech impediment that was mostly re-mediated now, but still lead them to be sparse with their words (particularly with strangers) and possibly to be fairly non plussed by therapeutic type situations - would you tell the tester that? Because telling might lead them to correctly realise when a little extra prompting was warranted, lead to better answers and a more accurate score.

Providing the tester with all relevant information allows the tester to provide you with the best quality results they are able to.

M
    M
    The tester who had the best rapport with my DD also got the best IQ results with her (no surprise there!), she was also adamant that DD had no quirks what so ever. She really really DOES have quirks. I am grateful to that tester for showing the best my DD can do on a good day, but I don't take her opinion on the rest as gospel - she spend 1hr with my DD, doing entertaining tasks, none of which clearly demonstrate her quirks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM