Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Emerson Wong), 172 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Deonne
    I can't say anything much better than those who have already posted, but I just wanted to say that your son is lucky to have someone who believes in him when others don't.

Okay, thank you very much for that. smile All the other comments are giving me good perspective.

I'm leaning toward letting my husband go alone. The conferences will be kind of meaningless for me in that I know my son's strengths and weaknesses and don't have anything in particular to discuss that I feel can be addressed in a brief meeting.

I know that this teacher and my husband both want to help DS, the problem is that the waves of their concern interfere constructively and the result is that they GET INCREASINGLY WOUND UP!! And suddenly a discussion about long division is a red alert situation. It's a mess and I'm increasingly thinking I'd rather skip it and save my energy for the important meeting on Wednesday. This teacher (definitely) and my husband (possibly to probably) will also be attending).

Last edited by Val; 03/07/13 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Added: And leaving the two of them get all wound up about DS's difficulties tomorrow may result in them giving off high-intensity concern at the meeting on Wednesday, thereby increasing DS's shot at getting services.

This could be a viable strategy. And thinking about it is making me feel better.

B
    B
    Hi Val
    Whatever you decide to do tomorrow, good luck. As the parent of a 2E who has spent hours and hours on homework, I have no ideas left of my own as how to help (everything makes her upset) and recently allowed her to delay math homework "until the morning when my brain isn't so tired" (true) but something that should take 15-20 minutes takes over 1 hour - IN THE MORNING - this morning I thought I'd have a 1)nervous breakdown 2) heart attack 3) accidently burn the house down while trying to make a nice hot breakfast and dealing with 2E high drama.

Does your DH ever spend homework time with DS? This year, the past few months, my DH has (I'd had it with him not being engaged in her problems - they are real!) and it really turned him around. And he is very mathy and loves his DD very much. He's gotten very perplexed during math homework time, she is so bright and understands such big ideas but the details...and has shaken his head alot and it totally turned him around to the point where he's given me the blank check on trying to find people to help us understand her and get her help. He doesn't say anything anymore about her being lazy or not trying hard enough or being stubborn or dramatic.

Anyway good luck and have a good weekend. IMO, calm family time and down time is really what will get these kids through to where they need to be in a healthy place in the future.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Val
    don't have anything in particular to discuss that I feel can be addressed in a brief meeting.

I know that this teacher and my husband both want to help DS, the problem is that the waves of their concern interfere constructively and the result is that they GET INCREASINGLY WOUND UP!! And suddenly a discussion about long division is a red alert situation.

I would make a vivid demonstration of using their criticism as a way of setting the agenda for the next meeting. Take a notepad and pen, and ask questions.

Teacher: and he doesn't do any of the problems right!
    You: I see. Which problems? does it happen every day, or only when he's already been writing a lot? (taking copious notes)
    DH: if he would only buckle down it would all get done!
    You: (still writing everything they say down) do you think he is choosing not to do it, or do you think there is some obstacle in his way ?

If you are having a problem-solving meeting next week, this is all evidence. If you write down their anecdotes and complaints, that's all contributing to the solving of the problem, even if it's couched in panic language.

DeeDee

P
    P
    Update?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM