Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi Everyone!

I am somewhat new to this forum; I joined about a year ago when trying to identify my DS10 for the G&T program at school. I really appreciated all the feedback and insight while going through all that, and so here I am again with another issue!

We recently found out that DS10 has a very big discrepancy between his VCI and WMI on the WISC , with a 32 point discrepancy between PRI and PSI.

We had a full scale assessment done after he was taking a VERY long time doing homework that the teacher claimed should take no more than 30 mins to complete. He also has not been finishing his math tests. He is currently at an Academic magnet where all kids enter going into advanced courses in all subjects. Ironically, he's still getting A's, B's and high C's even though not finishing all work. We've basically gone through the year getting onto him and thinking he's just been lazy, and now feeling very bad now because there is actually a problem.
    Here are the scores:
    VCI - 132
    PRI - 135
    WMI - 107 (68th)
    PSI - 103 (58th)
    FSIQ - 128
    GAI - 140

The assessor said the GAI was a better representation of his cognitive ability, but I am wondering how it could be higher than any of the others?

His achievement in Math fluency (47th) was very low as well, but on the un-timed math portion 99th percentile.

Questions:
    1. Has anyone tried Cogmed for Working Memory, and if so has it worked?
    2. How long does it normally take to get an IEP in place? The psychologist wrote specific suggestions in the report to improve achievement (longer time for tests, less homework if showing mastery, etc)
    3. He qualified for the EXPLORE test, but I am thinking we won't do well since it's another timed test, which he doesn't perform to his best ability. Does anyone know if ACT would accommodate for extra time if there is evidence of a processing discrepancy? Is this test even worth it? Or do I have what I need with the WISC and Achievement scores?

This week I'll be trying to get the ball rolling on making accommodations in school.
    Wish me luck!
    Thanks in advance for any feedback! And sorry for the long post!

K
    K
    I can't answer most of your questions but I will warn you that you probably will have difficulty getting an IEP since your son is not behind in any way. His "low" WMI and PSI are average -- this is not the kind of stuff that gets you an IEP. Yes, there is a discrepancy but our state's RTI document explicitly excludes using the old discrepancy model. I'm guessing that it was something that changed when then reauthorized the federal IDEA law so it should be the same in all states?

You may be able to get him a 504 plan to allow him extra time to show what he really knows. Section 504 is a civil rights law that allows kids with disabilities accommodations to access curriculum. The catch there is that he needs to have a disability that substantially limits his ability to access his education -- you can look up the exact verbiage. Do you have an ADHD diagnosis? Did your tester recommend further assessments?

ETA: You may want to check out the Wrightslaw website and/or the book From Emotions to Advocacy to educate yourself about IDEA and 504.

Last edited by knute974; 03/04/13 08:14 AM.
    Z
    Z
    Starting at the recognized issue of homework taking very long, trends I've seen here that fit that along with the lower PSI and WMI scores are perfectionism or stealth dyslexia or possibly a variant of dygraphia or a very strong need for meaningfulness/relevance to be fully mentaly engaged.

At core, scores are subtests that have your kid doing something specific and rating them on that. Without other evidence I wouldn't view PSI (which includes a test of writing numbers in sequences) as an indicator of a gifted kid's actual processing speed anymore than WMI (time delayed memory of meaningless data) is a direct measure of his full blown working memory.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by serenitynow
    The assessor said the GAI was a better representation of his cognitive ability, but I am wondering how it could be higher than any of the others?

I'm not a testing expert, but I was told by our neuropsych that the GAI/FSIQ can be higher than the other scores because high scores are less likely to occur together.

His achievement in Math fluency (47th) was very low as well, but on the un-timed math portion 99th percentile.

His processing speed likely impacted the math fluency score - it's a timed test. The other math achievement tests are untimed and test conceptual ability etc. This happened to our dysgraphic ds who has a fine motor challenge, and he's very good at math, just not speedy at filling out answers using handwriting on timed tests. Did you notice any dip in the other achievement tests labeled "fluency"? They are all timed, and there is one for reading and writing as well as math.

He is right at average for PSI and WMI on the WISC but it's so far below the other indices.

Do you have his subtest scores? It might help to post them too. Each of the scores you've posted is an average, and the actual subtest scores can be useful in understanding what's up with the lower PSI and WMI. I'm also curious - what type of provider gave the full eval? Was it administered through school or privately? If it was private, was it a neuropsych eval where other tests were provided to understand what was driving the discrepancies? There can be different reasons for them... ADHD is one possible explanation but there can be others too - and sometimes the behavior children exhibit at school that *looks* like ADHD is a child's way of coping with some other type of unrecognized challenge.

Last year, when we had the KBIT done, The Psychologist recommended a full assessment but we declined after we found out that he was accepted into the academic magnet.

What reasons did last year's psych give for thinking a full evaluation would be helpful? Was it based solely on test score discrepancies, or did he/she have other observations?

2. How long does it normally take to get an IEP in place? The psychologist wrote specific suggestions in the report to improve achievement (longer time for tests, less homework if showing mastery, etc)

It depends on your school district, but first a request has to be made from either the teacher or a parent to start the process, which includes an eligibility review which may take anywhere from 45-60 days typically. I think what you are more likely seeking is a 504 however. What you've mentioned are accommodations; IEPs are used for providing educational services and you haven't mentioned your ds needing individualized instruction. The 504 process in our school district is much quicker than getting an IEP; you request a 504 hearing in writing, the 504 team meets and will usually make a decision very quickly. One warning - you might not get a 504 if the team feels that the accommodations you are requesting or that the team feels your ds needs can be met in the classroom and at school without it.

He qualified for the EXPLORE test, but I am thinking we won't do well since it's another timed test, which he doesn't perform to his best ability. Does anyone know if ACT would accommodate for extra time if there is evidence of a processing discrepancy? Is this test even worth it? Or do I have what I need with the WISC and Achievement scores?[/b]

We haven't applied for accommodations on the Explore or to the college board yet, but I have a ds with a significant discrepancy between processing speed and his other subtests on the WISC. He routinely qualifies for test accommodations, but there is usually a process that has to be followed to request the accommodations along with specific paperwork and you usually need lead time before the test to get the accommodations. The thing you'll need isn't just the discrepancy in scores but the psych's report (which you have). In our ds' case, it has also been helpful to have the accommodations officially documented at school to (our ds has an IEP, but a 504 would work just as well for this).

I'd also add - don't be scared away from tests like this due to your ds' challenges. Research the actual tests - how are they given (what type of response is required etc), is it given on a computer, does your ds typically use extra time on tests etc. You *will* most likely want to apply for accommodations to be on record for the long run, but it's possible you might want to consider letting him take the test without accommodations this time around if you can't get them. You can always look back at the results and note that they were what he achieved *without* accommodations - we have done this with our ds and it hasn't hurt him in any direct way that I can see. He's also had on standardized test administered through the schools where his accommodations weren't given (even though he was supposed to have them), and it has actually been useful to us as it very clearly demonstrated where he needs the accommodations. *Do* absolutely definitely advocate to get those accommodations however, even if you don't have them in time to take this year's Explore.

He has always been HIGH energy and very impulsive, but every time I mentioned ADHD to teachers they were quick to say that they didn't think that was the case - (he could sit for long periods of time to build legos, etc from age 4)

I think it's possibly significant that your ds' teachers don't think it's ADHD. On the one hand, perhaps your ds has ADHD and is simply holding it all together while he's at school, but otoh, I have two children who have both been mistaken by teachers as having ADHD when they didn't, both times based on behaviors. My dd11, in particular, is a very high energy child, and she used to really look like she had ADHD, but instead she had a vision challenge (and a *very* low PSI score).

Good luck as you advocate for accommodations at school - keep us posted!

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 03/04/13 09:33 AM.
    P
    P
    My DS9's 504 plan took 10 days from email requesting to written document (very quick - folks were on the ball). My DS has ADHD diagnosis and average PSI. Most of the accommodations were from the recommendations of the private neuropsych evaluation we had done. He was able to use his accommodations for the Explore - you have to request it separately - instructions are on the ACT website. One note about the accommodations. He gets extra time at school but since they don't take timed tests at his school/in his grade, his accommodation was listed as extra time on assignments which also includes tests. We had to clarify that for them by submitting additional documentation related to that. The most you can get time wise is time and a half.

Last edited by Deonne; 03/04/13 11:51 AM.
    D
    D
    We've basically gone through the year getting onto him and thinking he's just been lazy, and now feeling very bad now because there is actually a problem.

1. Has anyone tried Cogmed for Working Memory, and if so has it worked?

Haven't tried it. It appears to have more research behind it than some of the other programs out there. I would go for something evidence-based.

If you're starting from scratch, the school has to do their own eval for the IEP. A 504 is a less involved process if you only need accommodations, not services.

Backstory:
    He has always been HIGH energy and very impulsive, but every time I mentioned ADHD to teachers they were quick to say that they didn't think that was the case - (he could sit for long periods of time to build legos, etc from age 4)

Common misconception about ADHD: It's a disorder of *regulating* attention, not a failure to pay attention. Lots of people don't understand that, including teachers. If a child pays too much attention (has trouble shifting to a new task, you can't get their attention when they're reading) that can be a form of ADHD.

Last year, when we had the KBIT done, The Psychologist recommended a full assessment but we declined after we found out that he was accepted into the academic magnet. We recently had the full assessment done and got results earlier this week.

What was the conclusion of that assessment?

DeeDee

C
    C
    We never sought extended time on tests through talent search for my dd who has processing speed issues although she has had a 504 plan since 4th grade. Our thought process was that it was beneficial for her to try taking tests that were too hard & with not enough time so she would hone her efficiency and test taking strategies as much as possible. She always did well, but I'm sure that the extra time would have helped had we been looking for her best performance.

In my dd's case, her WMI was in line with her PRI and VCI and processing speed as well as block design (which is the only other timed part of the WISC and part of the PRI index) were low avg - below your ds'. Since she's now in 10th grade, we are looking at whether she can get the time and a half on ACT & College Board tests that the pp mentioned. From what I've been told, it is nearly impossible to get more than time and a half. The OT who recently reevaluated her said that she'd essentially need to be missing her arms to get more time than that.

For College Board time accommodations you need to have: IQ test scores showing a discrepancy btwn timed & untimed pieces, achievement test scores showing the same, and a dx of some disability that shows why the discrepancy exists. Just showing that it is there isn't enough. You need to show why and, ideally, it should be something in the DSM from what I understand.

I'll send you a pm if you want once we get through the process of applying for accommodations and let you know if we were successful. FWIW, my dd's recent testing (achievement and OT dx had to be redone b/c they must be within two yrs of the application date) had huge discrepancies. For instance, math fluency on the WIAT was well below the 50th percentile, writing fluency was avg, and untimed pieces for math & reading were 99.9th. Her dx are SPD & dysgraphia plus dyspraxia from when she was younger.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks everyone -

Here are the individual WISC scores
    block design - 15
    similarities - 16
    digit span - 10
    picture concepts - 14
    coding - 10
    vocabulary - 17
    letter-number seq - 13
    matrix reas -18
    comprehension -13
    symbol search -11

Math Fluency addition was the lowest achievement at 42%ile (multiplication was 68%ile ) Kind of odd that addition was lower
    All fluency achievement results were closer to average with oral reading being highest at 77%ile.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent