Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    BSM #149734 02/28/13 08:11 AM
    U
    U
    . Part of his problem is that he's easily distracted, has trouble getting started on assignments, and difficulty focusing. But once he gets going, he's fine. Lately, he has had problems in class with rigorously timed assignments, as he usually wants more time to finish his work. He also has trouble with transitions, as once he is digging into a topic, he wants to stay on it for a while.

This also describes my DD. She also has a lot (too much) homework--about an hour a day. (She is in third grade.)

BSM #149740 02/28/13 09:04 AM
    S
    S
    Hi BSM - I think you have it exactly right that their learning styles may not be easily accommodated in traditional schools. My son is similar in that he loves to learn - he's a sponge with material that interests him. But rote learning and timed testing bore and frustrate him.

We've tried Khan academy and just teaching him on my own which has helped, but I've gotten to the point where I feel if I introduce him to new material then the gap between what he's learning in school and what he already knows and wants to learn continue to widen. Right now in first grade they're working on single digit subtraction. My son already knows multiplication and wants to work on division. Another issue is that DS is in a Spanish immersion program (and has been for the past 3 years so comprehension isn't the issue) and math is taught in Spanish. So the teacher, while saying she is differentiating him with extra material is really just giving him busy work that's not new. The school doesn't pull out for gifted programs until third grade. So we're faced with the same situation for next year unless I can have the teachers understand that their not meeting his learning needs is contributing significantly to his behavioral issues. I suspect he has ADD as well which we're in the process of evaluating.

We're taking things day by day, but I know that we can overcome these issues eventually. After all DS gets his stubbornness from me smile.

BSM #149745 02/28/13 09:52 AM
    He sounds a little like my son, who has a Dx of PDD-NOS... my son is very, very rule-oriented and couldn't tell a lie to save his life though.

My only advise is to seek out help from experienced professionals and don't be scared to use meds.

~amy
    BSM #149806 03/01/13 02:12 PM
    H
    H
    You might find Dr Daniel Amen's book The 6 Types of ADD helpful in sorting some of this out. His book and clinic have been phenomenally helpful in sorting out our son's issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM