Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    I know this post is from several weeks ago...but I am never on here anymore and when I saw the title of this thread wondered if I had written it. : ) Anyhow, my DS8 has had similar issues. He is PG kid and has been tested before school started. He had one full grade skip but it's still not enough. Thankfully his school has been accommodating in some areas and has allowed him to work 4 additional years ahead in math, and to do some different work than peers in reading and ELA. He does enjoy school for the most part because of all the extra stuff (gym, music, lunch, etc...and math because it's a little closer to his level this year). But he still struggles with focusing during some subjects, with getting his work done and not daydreaming and reading a book instead. His teacher has really been on us this year and he has explained to me that he doesn't know why this happens, but that he is not motivated. I have seen this at home too. He also loses track of time and just doesn't get things done, and we were getting tired of all the extra work coming home. Some nights he would have HOURS of work. I am supportive of the school but sometimes you just have to draw the line. Anyhow, his teacher created a sheet for him to monitor himself for Math, ELA, Social studies/science, and in the hallway (since he apparently skips or swings his backback). So if he does what he is supposed to with one or less reminders and gets his work done he scores a 1, if he has a few reminders and gets it done or some done then he gets a 2, if he doesn't get it done and has lots of reminders he gets a 3. Since he usually doesn't get Wii time during the week I have told him that every day he gets all 1's then he can go on the Wii that day. Amazingly he got all 1's every day last week. Now he has the motivation! And he has less homework at home which is awesome. Anyhow, not sure how long this will last, but it worked for a week at least and it's mid winter break this week so another week of peace. I know that story may not be relevant, but if it is a matter of him not doing the work because it is not interesting, then some motivation may be helpful. But then again, work needs to be more at his level too. We have that for the most part, and we supplement at home because he is always doing enrichment things on the side of school anyhow (lego robotics, piano classes, chess club, math olympiads, science experiments and museum trips, etc.) That stuff keeps him going enough to deal with the boring parts of school. So far, it works for us. : ) Good luck!

Oh, and from what you said it appears he would qualify for a 504 plan if you needed one. With the report from the neuropsych and the epilepsy, I am sure you have more than enough evidence to support you (I also work in schools as a school social worker so if you want one and it would benefit him, push for one).

Last edited by shellymos; 02/20/13 03:01 PM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by junior
    I had similar issues with my DS6 and DS8. If you have the time, you might ask his teacher if you could volunteer in your son's classroom so that you can observe what's going on. It's eye opening to finally see what kind of materials they are being taught and at what moments your kid starts losing interest

Yes! I did this with DS8 when he was 6 and in grade 1.

It was the pace of the activity that shut him out. It was soooo sloooowww.... I could feel myself getting stressed out on his behalf. He was in and out of his seat, looking under his desk, staring at the ceiling, examining the overhead projector to see how it worked, following the path of the electrical cords, etc etc, all becauuussee tthheee leeessssoonnn wwaasss soooooooo sssllloooowwww...

(sigh)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs