Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Okay, so after some time off, and homeschooling for the year, my dd10 has decided she would like to go to school. If I sell one of my kidney's and maybe one of my husband's, she may be able to go (I think she will be accepted, application pending) to a Day School with a lot to offer. Long school days, all kinds of art and music and robotics as an in-school class and a debate team. She also is training to be a pro-ballerina almost all nights. They say they can, have and will accelerate or skip children. They say the skipped a boy 4 years once. They are thinking she would start in pre-algebra right off, which is skipping 6th at this school (I think she should take algebra). Anyway, she scored an overall 127 on the OLSAT admission test. She did not have her much needed reading glasses. She scored a 119 in non-verbal and a 137 in verbal. The school says that the average score for their school is 120. I'm wondering if this is too good to be true, or if I can expect the same thing she experienced in our above average public school. I don't want to give up kidneys so she can go to a school where she will still be waiting for everyone else to finish...any ideas about these numbers? I would love for her to experience a class where other kids are as quick as her. I can't imagine it...is it too good to be true? I can't go around asking other people how smart or motivated their children are...The school has a good reputation and admits about 60% of applicants...Thank you.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    lol..Kindeys...We have had 2 tours, and a very enthusiastic place it is! If this place is actually as good as I feel like it is going to be I will have to pinch myself. I have gotten my hopes up so many time. I couldn't believe that the same issues we were having at public school were/are happening in homeschool groups. Where I ask the girls in my group if they can spell regurgitate....and when my daughter spells it, I have to ignore the fact that she speled it correct as to not discourage the rest of the girls. If I'm doing it to my own daughter, how on earth can I expect a public school teacher to be able to teach her in a regular classroom and be enthusiastic about her learning and success? When her success directly points to the others as non-successful, in their minds...

We have even had parents refuse spelling bees and I always feel like it is because my dd will always win everything...I BEG them to ask their children to study and BEG them to have their children prepare and the enthusiasm just isn't there. My dd10 is disappointed time and time again, when the kids in her group didn't read the book, or didn't learn to spell the words or sulk when asked to do a project....So, sounds like you get it...anyway...our kids should play...:) A gifted program sounds better than no gifted program! and they are sweet and polite and you feel like a monster telling them that your child is unhappy and not thriving...good luck and I think I might get rich (selling kidneys) and start a scholarship fund....but it would not be the kid I would interview...it would be the parents.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    AND I didn't mention the BEST thing...They have three subjects a day...Each subject is 1.5 hours...So there is Day A and Day B. So, 6 cour classes....They have sports in the middle of the day, with lunch and after that a WHOLE hour of music EVERY DAY! They have built in time with advisors and ....I just hope we can pay for it all...we have a 7 year old who is out-of-the-box gifted...visual spatial and not so clear. I'm not sure 7 year olds are ever clear...but she is so sure of herself and so gifted and brilliant...(confirmed visual/spatial and reads Harry Potter, gifted reading class) but can't finish any of her WORK! Now, paying for one kid to go to the crazy good school and wondering about the other's ability to even function in society...:) she is super sweet...reads all day. A little more obviouvly on-her-own-planet and only motivated by her own self...what a handfull...all this crazy stuff. They really should make a check-list...like a tax form. If a,b and c, then check d and e. But if a and b, but not c then check z......I think we would need to make a new form! When is your dd10 available to work with my dd to figure out how to grow kidneys?

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I wish I had the advice about keeping academics at home. That would have helped a lot but knowing me, I have to experience it first hand to understand! Good luck!

Last edited by sydness; 02/13/13 08:48 PM.
    G
    GHS Offline
    G
    In my opinion if it is as good as it sounds, it seems like it would be worth it. Do they offer financial aid?

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    They do. We wait to see how much. Thanks.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    They offered more than we expected. She is going!

M
    M
    I hope that it is all it purports to be and that your daughter will be very happy there! smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent