Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #147948 02/05/13 01:06 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We're looking into whether we want to keep our math-accelerated DS9 in public school next year or move him to the private school system his siblings are in. Unfortunately, the teachers at the private school believe that their math curriculum (Saxon) is superior to the public school's math curriculum (Everyday Math) and that their students are therefore about a grade ahead of the public school students. We know this not to be the case, both from our previous experience with our other kids but also because, anticipating their argument, we have had DS working out of the 5th grade Saxon math book in his free time and we are finding the content to be virtually identical.

Is there a counter-argument to their statement that their math program is superior or should we just accept that they feel that way and that their minds won't be changed?

Luckily we're not in a position to have to send him to the private school so we can walk away if they don't agree to let him do math at his appropriate level, and they are in need of more students so they may capitulate. But I'd really like to be able to show them some statistics or something disproving their theory.

She thought she could, so she did.
    Z
    Z
    So, the consequence is that they would want to hold him back in math? I don't think the argument is this math can beat up that math. Seems the very issue we all face is trying to get the school to teach our kids at their level of learning. So the mano a mano is your son vs. whatever math achievement/placement tool they want to administer independent of his past historical instructional method(s). What if he had been homeschooled and you were interested in paying them money to educate him at his level?

U
    U
    Can't you just ask them to test him? TBH, Everyday Math may well be inferior to Saxon, but that means nothing about *your son's* ability to do fine in Saxon!

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ah, but we *are* willing to pay them money to educate him, but *only* at his level.

They don't do placement tests for any other kid coming into their school with a regular placement. So, if a child has completed 4th grade in a different school, they just put that child in 5th grade at their school. Should work the same way with my child, I would think. He will have completed 5th grade math at one school, so he should be placed into 6th grade math. Why should he have to take a placement test so that they don't make him repeat a grade?

Ahhhh-- but is this about proving your point about the two curricula?

Or about getting what your DS seems to need from them?

Those two outcomes may well call for quite different strategies.

For the latter, might I recommend sleight-of-hand?

"Oh, yes, we've never been especially pleased with Everyday Math. That's why we've opted to enrich his learning at home-- so that he wouldn't have to be in remedial coursework elsewhere."

Or allow them to dictate to you what would constitute "proper remedial action" over the summer? You know, so that he's "on track" with his classmates in the fall.

In other words, I'd go in with statements that clearly ASSUME the placement you believe to be appropriate, and express confusion/cooperative attitude about "working together" toward that goal.

But that's me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    I'm a strong believer in the customer being right.

Hadn't thought of it at the natural progression of one year; was thinking about fighting to get at the next level up. So, they are completely blowing smoke on the math comparison as a way to dodge your requirement.

Nothing like a government site to blow smoke back at...
    Here's the What Works Clearinghouse on Saxon math:
    http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/WWC/interventionreport.aspx?sid=447
    and on Everyday Math:
    http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/WWC/interventionreport.aspx?sid=166

I came across this when the discussion came up here acouple of months ago as philosophically I kinda like the Everyday Math concept when done right.

Val Offline
    The thing with private schools is that you have a bit of leverage with them that you don't with public schools.

IMO, I'd tell them you're thinking of enrolling your son, and then tell them that the math is a sticking point that's giving you pause. Work out the details before you give them a check (and get it in writing, because people WILL forget or may not interpret a statement the same way you do).

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I suppose I want to prove my point about the two curricula and get what DS needs from them. In the end it is most important for DS to be in 6th grade math next year since he will have completed 5th grade math this year at the public school. But, if I could prove my point about the curricula, then I think they might be less skeptical and possibly less antagonistic towards DS (and us) next year.

We'd like DS to transition to this private school because he will eventually enter this private school system. It's where his best friends are, albeit in the older grade. And they have some programs that the public school doesn't offer. But we're not willing to make the move next year if they won't let him do 6th grade math. We're not even prepared to let them give him a placement test because he will have proved his proficiency by having already completed 5th grade math at his current school (the actual class, not enrichment). It would just be nice if we could persuade them that he is prepared to make the move to Saxon.

Last edited by mnmom23; 02/05/13 02:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

D
    D
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    We know this not to be the case, both from our previous experience with our other kids but also because, anticipating their argument, we have had DS working out of the 5th grade Saxon math book in his free time and we are finding the content to be virtually identical.

If you are confident of this, and if you think they are reasonable people who would accept a fact-based, sensible argument, I would consider pointing it out and asking them where they think the two programs differ. At least you can mention it in passing and if there's anyone there who cares about whether what they're saying is true, they will at least take a look. If not, you know there may be other things going on (for them to ignore what they've said) but at least you've brought it to their attention so if they really care they will act on it. Perhaps what they looked at is not what you're looking at, and maybe there is some kind of difference in the order that subjects are presented in the two programs that would lead to the conclusion they've drawn. Good luck!

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    We were [] close to putting our dd in a private school that believed itself to be advanced compared to public school. And it was advanced in everything but math. We had several meetings but couldn't see eye to eye in math. You see, they had SAXON math and SAXON math is a spiraling curriculum which means that if you miss anything, you will be lost the next year when the subject comes up again. And SAXON works with a wide range of levels, offering challenge problems for the children who finish early as well as offering multiple chances to learn material through it's repetitive nature.

Yes, this is what we're getting from the teachers. The administration is encouraging and they want DS at their school. But as we all know, if the teachers aren't on board, it just isn't going to go well. We're hoping they'll come around, but we're not going to beg and, at this point, there is no reason to compromise. Perhaps there is no convincing Saxon people that any other curricula could work as well.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM