Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I had to cut my previous comment short so here's the rest ...

it drives me crazy to see how they approach him in therapy (with the exception of one therapist who seems to really get him). Especially speech therapy ... they treat him like a low functioning 2 year old in an almost 3 year old body and that's why I think he gets so frustrated. I tried to convince the therapist to use his skills that he already has. Why keep pushing him to say "blow bubbles" so the therapist would blow bubbles for him ... he's a very visual learner. The kid can read a lot of words ... WRITE down for him "blow bubbles" and he'll read it and use it with no problem! She keeps pushing and pushing and he can be approach so much easier if you use his strengths!

A lot of reading I've done talks about play therapy. Join him in his play rather than constantly keep trying to get him to join you. He gets frustrated when he's treated like he has no brain.

So, as I said before, we'll probably give the preschool a shot but if we see him being more unhappy and frustrated, we will pull back and work with him at home.

For the first time EVER today he actually let me read a book to him ... and he enjoyed it! Just kicking back and relaxing while I was reading. Something I didn't think would ever happen. ... one of those things where I really see we're making progress! smile

M
    M
    I definitely see why you are bothered, it doesn't sound like they get how to utilize what he can do, but I would also suggest that looking at the therapist and conversing with her is a different skill to reading something to her. Reading is not conversing or making a request...

Like wise it's really worth using a child's own interests to engage them in play - BUT one of the features of a child with ASD is that they want to play THEIR play, their way, by their rules, with all other players really only being tools for their play. I imagine it is a very conscious choice on the therapist's part that they are not playing his games his way but instead trying to work on joining in with others, doing new things, doing them new ways, etc.

They may possibly be failing to realise and utilise his intelligence, but both the examples you have given I am guessing that there is an actual therapeutic reason for what they are doing. It sounds like you need to have a talk with them and find middle ground where they acknowledge his skills and interests but still work on the deficits it seems like they are trying to address?

Last edited by MumOfThree; 01/17/13 07:31 PM.
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    His main early intervention speech therapist is fairly freshly out of school and I don't think she has much experience beyond "normal" speech delayed kids under 3. Pretty much no experience with autistic or gifted kids frown. She just can't seem to be able to think outside of the school-taught box. His developmental therapist on the other hand is probably little over 50 years old and has worked with autistic kids and gets him ... as soon as she got to know him, she started bringing more advanced toys and activities and has been able to engage him a lot more and I don't think he's ever ... not ONCE thrown a tantrum while with her.

So I think what I really need to do at this point is focus on finding a new speech therapist (since he's out of EI in 2 months) who has experience with both, gifted and autistic rather than just a general language pathologist? And not worry much about school just yet and let him mature a little more and then maybe start the preschool in September (vs. starting right away in March)

M
    M
    That sounds like a top plan.

D
    D
    My hunch is that the preschool might be able to provide speech therapy that's more integrated with other activities. The earlier you start, the better, IMO. Getting a child with a speech delay "caught up" takes time, but once he's talking his gifts will be more visible to people besides you.

DeeDee

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    Hi MK,
    I think most important is the social, and that it is important to observe the public special ed preschool that they will be placing him in. My son was offered same, and initially I did place him, but it was ultimately a bad experience because of the range of abilities in the class. Many were lower end vs high functioning. As a result there was alot of noise and often confusion in the class, and my DS didn't do well with this. Not many of the students were verbal, for various reasons- &I felt it was important that he was around kids who were speaking- to help facilitate his own language development.

I didn't feel his own individual needs were being met. Other things were brought to my attention and I chose to pull him from the program, thankfully he was still able to access the school districts Speech/OT services.

I made sure that he was involved in a weekly playgroup- all neurotypical peers, ranging from toddlers to age 5/6. We met each week for several hours at parks etc and celebrated all holidays with parties, as well as birthday parties, we must have been going to about 2parties a month! **I believe the time he spent with this group was a huge help in his social skills! He would have never received this peer interaction at school all day! ((These kids were NTs and not in school though some did do private preschool in am a few days a wk)

I also took him EVERYWHERE !!!
    I treated him no differently, and I just exposed him to as much as I could... Don't laugh but we spent a lot of time at COSTCO haahaaa "warehouse therapy" LOL

I was also fortunate enough to get ongoin NPA Speech/OT services, and that was another huge HUGE help in his overall development, because they were all very into pragmatics vs the school based therapists.

His 2nd year of preschool, I flat out refused the preschool program on grounds he was too high functioning, and thankfully the teacher also agreed that it would be more of a deterrent than benefit for him.

When he was closer to turning 5, I was told he must do kindergarten to continue services. I was fortunate enough to place him in a Transitional Kinder program, all the kids were (mostly) NTs age 4 turning 5 (like DS) that fall. We were also Blessed in that the Speech Therapist at he school was a firm believer in Pragmatics!! He rec'd alot thru her. So this was te 3rd HUGE help! This class focused on the social aspects of school ie routines, groups participation etc. *no one ever suspected he had autism, and he continues to be friends with several of the boys from this class, even though they all fanned out into different schools!

Which leads DS to this current year, he started public kinder as a 5yo turning 6. Even though they were given no true kinder curric the previous year, he was completely bored etc and w/o reposting everything we went thru- (like your child MK my DS was also reading before age 3)

I am Happily Homeschooling DS as a kindgartner smile
    but- Thru the Public School- it is an independent study program, so all curric is provided and he is currently in kinder, but the teacher we meet with for 1hour/wk, after assessing him, is having him do the 1st gr curric and she has told me she believes he is "gifted" and that she is gathering "evidence" of his work to present when the time is needed... He is just about ready to move into the 2nd grade curric if she will let him.

I forgot to add, that I did get him started in Adaptive Skills program last year, 10hrs/wk, it is all play based therapy. (not ABA at all) And thru this therapy he has continued to really move forward in leaps and bounds!

Finally, I have just learned that he has been once again "verified" as gifted, and depending on lottery results, may possibly be able to attend a Magnet school for the highly gifted, next year as a 1st grader!

I truly believe you know what is best for your child. I learned early on when he started Adaptive Skills (age 4 3/4), thru the Child Dev Psych that everything I had been doing all along- was all based on the play therapy model they incorporated. This approach isn't right for everyone, I know many who prefer ABA, and one kiddo who began in ABA but is transferring over to this type of therapy. It all really just depends on your childs individual make up and needs.

This board has provided me a huge amount of information and support and you've received lots of good advice already smile
    Please let us know what you decide for your little one!
    take care
    PS
    deedee! Sleepaway Camp!!! I love that! I am with you in introducing our kids to many and all we can, and encouraging them to try new things. Sounds like your kiddo is well on his way smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DeeDee ... we would definitely do speech therapy through school no matter what ends up happening with the preschool program. DS4 went through once a week small group ST at school before he started the preschool program and the approach there was much better than EI speech therapy.

cc6 ... thanks for your experience! Your son sounds very much like our little guy! I will look into the Adaptive Skills therapy. That's something new to me!

If we refuse the preschool, we can still get speech through school. The way it works here is they offer a range of services based on his needs and we can accept all or some.

He is still 2.5 years away from K so I am considering starting him on K curriculum informally a year earlier. K is not mandatory here so one of our options is start him a year early homeschooling both K & 1st and then he could go straight to 2nd basically doing an unofficial grade skip (of course, if he's somewhat ready for it socially when the time comes). If not, then we'd probably keep homeschooling.

Here the school doesn't really get involved in anything related to homeschooling. The school "can" accept partime homeschoolers if there are spaces available but those not full time at public school do not receive services like speech therapy and such so then we'd have to go the private route for speech.

There IS still a good chance that just like with our older one, his speech will really take off in the next couple of months. He too went from 10 words at 26 months and still no sentences at almost 3 years old to speaking in full sentences and just weeks later and now close to 4.5 he speaks well beyond his years. Plus we are doing two languages with both of them, which makes it harder too.

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    hi, i just popped on! saw this reply,
    wanted to clarify that it was soley for purpose of cont to receive speech, that we did "independent study" thru district, vs homeschool.
    the other plus is curric is free!
    and he is allowed to participate in his homeschool activities etc if wans to.
    and--- he can get a full IQ work up thru the school smile

if doing straight homeschool (i could as filed affidavit) he wouldn't rec any of that.

trade off of mtg with teacher 1hr/wk is not horrible.
    since i am working at my DS pace, it all good!
    mostly ;)~

oh- re speech- my DS speech excellent- it really is all about the pragmatics at this point smile "social speak" i call it smile
    *sounds like you have formulated great plan for your guy!

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Well, since in IL school isn't mandatory till the kids turn 7 years old, I could technically keep him home for another 4 years (while homeschooling the later two) while he would be receiving the speech services through school because he wouldn't have to be officially enrolled yet ... hmmm smile

E
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Often a child with autism has one person (usually the mom) that they do this with. As Mum3 says, it's part of the deal with this diagnosis. Often it means that they've trained you to give them what's easy for them and doesn't stretch their capacities.

In our case it's the opposite-- while dd says I "get her better than anyone else, I'm also one of the very very few who doesn't let her skate. She can work that disability like nobody's business with most people. With me she works harder and with less complaining because she knows it doesn't work.

We homeschooled through the mid-grades (fourth through eighth) with a couple of abortive attempts at the public gifted magnet. It worked pretty well for us until eighth grade, which is why she's at the high school now. Her brother (also at the high school) was homeschooled for fourth, fifth and sixth, but did pretty well with the middle school option available, so he was officially enrolled there (though he missed a lot of school time for cultural events, or if we were working on something interesting at home).

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM