Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #145447 01/04/13 09:07 AM
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Does anyone have any experience with SIG? My dd will be 11 this summer, and there is three week SIG summer program close enough that she could commute. I recall hearing mixed reviews, but can't remember specifics. Any advice much appreciated. Are the programs any good?

gabalyn #145480 01/04/13 05:16 PM
    N
    N
    I have looked at the SIG program as we are quite close to the campus you are (likely) considering. I thought that the courses did not look very rigorous - and my kids are MG/HG types. Of course, it would be best to hear from someone who attended. Also, SIG costs quite a bit.

There are other programs in the area, though I haven't researched all of them. My kids never seemed too keen on going to school in the summer and a lot of summer programs conflict with travel softball. My middle kid (had just completed 8th grade) went to a creative writing course last summer through Pennsylvania Writing and Literature Project. Her teacher was the gifted coordinator in a highly regarded local middle school. My kiddo enjoyed it and it wasn't expensive. Go to http://www.pawlp.org/ and go to Youth Programs and look at the 2013 brochure. Might look at some summer sessions at local private schools too - some courses are academic, but others look fun.

gabalyn #145489 01/04/13 07:05 PM
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    NSG-- yup, I think we are thinking of the same campus! I'm wondering what about the course descriptions made you think they didn't look rigorous? The selection for 11 and 12's looked pretty interesting, although in terms of rigor, it would probably be all about how it was done.

Since dd has never been to school, the whole format might present a bit of a challenge to her. If the classes are dumbed down, though, she will definitely hate that.

Thanks for the link to pawlp. I will check that out. She loves to write.

gabalyn #145499 01/05/13 05:05 AM
    N
    N
    The humanities courses might be fine, but the math didn't seem very advanced (and my kids are not math types). I would try to find someone who has attended to learn more. I would also look into http://www.curiousjanecamp.com/ and check into the Curious Jane or Blue Tree programs (held at the same location as SIG).

gabalyn #145506 01/05/13 09:06 AM
    C
    C
    We've never done SIG either, but there was a thread about it a few years back here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/70563/1.html

Really, I think that only one person whose kid had been posted, but it was something. She seemed to agree that the math courses weren't as academically challenging as would be desirable.

I found a few other reviews online as well:

http://www.campratingz.com/ratings/1284/Summer+Camp+Summer+Institute+for+the+Gifted+(SIG).html

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...g-summer-institute-gifted-princeton.html

gabalyn #145507 01/05/13 09:37 AM
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks so much, Cricket2!

NotSoGifted #146144 01/14/13 01:41 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    The humanities courses might be fine, but the math didn't seem very advanced (and my kids are not math types). I would try to find someone who has attended to learn more. I would also look into http://www.curiousjanecamp.com/ and check into the Curious Jane or Blue Tree programs (held at the same location as SIG).

do you know of any other camps in the area for younger kids?
    I've been looking and only JUST came across the SIG camps. This curious jane looks right up my daughter's alley!

Googling 'gifted camps on the main line or philadelphia' gets me no where though. I don't know where to look.

gabalyn #146145 01/14/13 01:42 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by gabalyn
    NSG-- yup, I think we are thinking of the same campus! I'm wondering what about the course descriptions made you think they didn't look rigorous? The selection for 11 and 12's looked pretty interesting, although in terms of rigor, it would probably be all about how it was done.

Since dd has never been to school, the whole format might present a bit of a challenge to her. If the classes are dumbed down, though, she will definitely hate that.

Thanks for the link to pawlp. I will check that out. She loves to write.

gabalyn - I sent you a PM a few days ago about a post you had written in another thread about a good person to do testing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent