Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    DCDad43 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Anyone had any experience with the Summer Institute for the Gifted in the K-3 day program?

D
    DCDad43 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Bueller. . . Bueller . . . Anyone?
    The program sounds interesting and has been around for a while, but the SIG Program at Sandy Spring Friends School is new. They state that they are affiliated with the National Institute for the Gifted or something like that, which isn't NAGC.
    While I don't think it is the elite of the elite, it might be a good place to send my DS6 for a couple of summers until he reaches the CTY eligibility.
    Any thoughts?

S
    S
    Originally Posted by DCDad43
    Bueller. . . Bueller . . . Anyone?

LOL, sorry don't know anything about it personally and have read mixed reviews from people. I haven't heard anything at all about how it works for younger kids. Hopefully someone will see this and respond if they have experience with it : )

S
    S
    Hi DC Dad,

This is Christine from the SIG program. I hope you will receive a response from some SIG participants. I saw your post and just wanted to let you know you can meet our President Barbara Swicord at the Sandy Spring Summer Program Open House on March 13. She can certainly answer any questions you have.

SIG has been running our summer residential programs since 1984. We began with the day programs for younger students in 2000. This is our first year running the program at Sandy Spring and we are very excited about it.

You are correct, the National Society for the Gifted and Talented isn't NAGC. It is a membership society with resources for families with gifted students.

C
    C
    Dd#2 is itching to go to the Cal SIG, but it is just too far out of our budget. Let me know what you think if your ds goes.

DS7 attended SIG last year and we weren't happy with his experience. There was some bullying and while he enjoyed 2 of his classes, the math class was a joke. I ended up with one very miserable child.

I know some people who were happy with SIG but it wasn't us. We don't care to repeat this experience and for sure not for that kind of money. I also know other people whose children didn't have a good experience in SIG camps.

LMom
    D
    DCDad43 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by SIG Staff
    You are correct, the National Society for the Gifted and Talented isn't NAGC. It is a membership society with resources for families with gifted students.
    Christine, didn't mean to offend, just hadn't heard of the National Society for the Gifted and Talented. I initially confused it with NAGC and didn't want others to do so as well. Your program looks great from what I saw on the website. I reviewed both the SIG and SIG @ Sandy Spring powerpoint presentations and hope to attend the open house on the 13th.

D
    DCDad43 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by LMom
    There was some bullying and while he enjoyed 2 of his classes, the math class was a joke.
    LMom,
    Could you provide some more details? If you don't want to share publicly, you could PM me, but I would be interested in hearing more about your experience. What was the math class? What were the other two classes he liked? Did you raise your concerns about the bullying with the administration?

S
    S
    DCDad - no offense taken wink. We are also promoters of NAGC - they do great things. We look forward to seeing you on the 13th.

LMOM - I would love t hear from you about your experience...

I am also interested in hearing opinions about SIG. I have my DS7 signed up for one in our city and he is really looking forward to it. Hearing about bullying concerns me, because my son is also autistic. Nan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM