Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 294 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    For me, I was very confused because I have a son who was/is incredibly achievement driven. I wasn't sure if his, "way out there" achievements, was just because of him being so driven, OR, if there were more to it than that. Meaning that I might have a kid with an extremely high IQ. The latter turned out to be true.

Before testing, I would talk myself into that it was all just because of his drive. Something inside told me that was not true. I kind of knew the results were going to be high, but I was in constant denial. So finding out made me have to see him for who he is and work with that.

S
    S
    Kelly, here's my 2 cents - follow your gut instincts. I could not agree more with MasterOfNone! We struggled throughout 1st grade and most of 2nd as to whether we should test our ds (now 8). We initially thought we did not want him "labeled," as we were not seeking special funding, he attends a private school and there seemed to be no real purpose. Last year in 2nd grade, his teacher could not understand why our son would not sit quietly in the "high-reading group" and focus on a Flat Stanley book he had read to himself in kinder. And that is just one of many, many incidents. Finally, like you, we had to do something. Following the advice we received from a couple well-regarded outside educators, we decided to IQ test him and much to our surprise, we learned he is literally off the charts in his language skills. Long story short - he's now a DYS and we all have a much better understanding of what our little guy is all about. While his school has a "fixed" curriculum, they understand him a little better, although their curriculum does not really accommodate his learning style.

The IQ test measures the child's learning ability - what the child is capable of achieving. Our tester helped us understand how our child thinks and learns best. And it's amazing how much better we understand our son now that we have this information. And it's equally amazing how ill-equipped teachers are about giftedness. Many teachers think gifted kids just need "harder" work, but that's not necessarily the case. It's more about how these kinds of kids think about things, how deep they go into a subject or issue with their endless penetrating questions.

Our child's teachers don't have time to teach to this kind of child. They can't answer his questions or think about his ideas, and we understand why they can't do what is better for our child. We're now looking at schools that teach to gifted kids - schools that require an IQ test for admission. They focus on the child's ability, not what they learned so far. The bottom line - these kids are different and consequently, their needs are different. Based on the past few years, it's become clear that we need to find a school where our child fits in, and we need to quit trying to make the school fit our child. I don't think any one school is perfect, but just understanding the issues is a huge step toward giving these special kiddos what they need.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I can relate to a lot of what many of you are sharing.

SwimMom, I feel like you and I share the same feelings/issues on this matter. I really just want to fully understand what I am working with so I can make a game plan and figure out what is best for my daughter.

And if I need help, I need to be able to figure out who it is that can help me.

Thanks for the reassurance. I am waiting until February because Emily (my dd) is getting braces on 12/27 and I want to give her a good solid month to get past the trauma (LOL) and get used to them so she isn't distracted or preoccupied for the test.

The tester fully agreed when I discussed waiting until February.

So hopefully in February I will have some information that will help me better understand and advocate for my daughter.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM