Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 104 guests, and 68 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I wanted to consider that perhaps gifted adults, or as Stephanie Toland put it "Gifted Ex-Children," are an underserved population. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.stephanietolan.com/gifted_ex-child.htm

I have found that my oversensitivities has dulled down considerably through the years. I also have found Parenting as I very balancing activity - although I suspect any intense form of service would do.

What do you Gifted Ex-Children find to be useful ways to help yourself to be healthy?

Smiles and Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    That's so true. I think as a kid people noticed me and even though I was horribly neglected by both family and educators, my "brilliance" and "maturity" often wowed people and it was enough boost to my esteem to keep my puttering along.

Now I've learned to cover my gleaming tracks in order to get along with the general community. Every once in awhile I find someone like me and attempt a connection. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

To keep my brain flowing and in peak mental health, I will take up a hobby and become an "expert" in it. For example, about 2 years ago I took up recumbent cycling. I absorbed everything about the history and sport.

The next year I took up web design and swallowed books whole.

This summer it was surging through 2E and getting to know the nuances of my gifted boys that I had missed all these years.

I'm in a lull right now. Mostly I'm dealing with my physical health, but that bores the wits outta me!!! chuckle.

My oversensitivities are tamer in the emotional realm, but the others still seem pretty hyper when compared to my peers.

I'm off to read the article now. I always speak before I have all the info;^)

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Willa Gayle -
    I do the "hobby thing" also!
    I recently read in Ruf, Losing Our Minds, p243 :

"In my experience, most girls and women, as a group, tend to see shades of meaning and concepts more easily and are more general in their interests than most boys and men. Many girls and women also enjoy learning about a variety of topics to a fairly high level more than they tend to enjoy specializing in something that they feel would restrict them in any way. When both people in a couple have equally high intellectual abilty, it is not unusual for them to assume that the male is smarter because he can dominate in his one subject. I point this out because women often underestimate themselves and their intellectual abilities (Kerr, 1994).

I can relate strongly to this statement, particularly the wanting to avoid being restricted, and being fairly open in my interests.

Thanks WG!
    Trinity

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm thinking about Kirk and Spock, my childhood role models. I saw just the begining of a Star Trek rerun, the episode where they first meet the "Selectivly breed humans."

Wow, Kirk was so aware of all his "men," twinkling and teasing them "just right" in the opening sequence. Also, Kirk is so sure of himself and his right to be captain! He must be very high on the intrapersonal insight as well. He knows what makes him tick! Spock's superior grasp of details bothers Kirk not at all. Also, he's got so much good will toward everyone. It's as if, since he has recognised himself as able, and been recognised as able, he can afford to be generous with others.

So, my question to you is this - we all know lots of "Spocks," but have we met any "Kirks?" Is Captain Kirk another model of being intellectually gifted?

Thanks for listening,
    Trin

W
    W
    That Ruf quote is fantastic. That is exactly what I am going through. I really don't want to be pinned down to one topic. And definitely on the guy being thought of as the one who is intelligent. When people hear about Mite they will often say, "Oh! That's no surprise. He gets it from DH!" In actuality, DH is gifted, but not highly gifted. He has worked hard to attain his knowledge and is definitely an "expert", but he's not that over-the-top, learn everything in a breath type.

BTW, I know a Kirk. He definitely doesn't have a belly button, either! He is highly intelligent and knows his field well, but is intensely into people and quite capable of "teasing the just right way". He knows to tease on the positives, not the weaknesses and the teasing enriches the bond between him and his friends.

I wish I were like him and I try to emulate him when I can.

Interesting, when I was young, I was more attracted to Spock.

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    If you liked that quote, (and I wonder if I shouldn't be being encouraged) here's another:

"Of course, not all boys or all girls fit the profile described above. But this information is crucial to an understanding of normal behavior and interest profiles that are different for most gifted boys and girls. It also has ramifications for the social lives of both sexes because it means that the most intelligent males might have more difficulty finding a partner or spouse who is on an equal intellectual level with them. The most intelligent females have a larger pool of hightly intellighent males from which to choose, but they are at considerable risk for feelings of isolation and differentness because there are fewer females like themselves. There are additional issues that gifted young women face that complicate their own achievement and goals - issues most related ot the dfferential way that marriage and parenthood affect females as compared to males.

Endnote - for an excellent article on this topic, read Reis 2002, Winter "Internal barriers, personal issues, and decisions faced by gifted and talented females." Gifted Child Today, 25(1) 14-28

thanks WG (but I don't get the belly button reference) ((shrug))
    Gins,
    Trins

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm looking for the Reis Article. All I have so far is this abstract:

The writer discusses the personality issues and personal choices that gifted and talented females face as they try to realize their potential. The single greatest issue for gifted, ambitious females has been identified as the ethic of care, along with belief in the importance of relationships. Other key issues are related to a sense of self and self-efficacy; multipotentiality; resilience; fear of success; lack of planning or poor planning; hiding or doubting abilities and feeling different; the imposter syndrome; confusion about effort and ability; perfectionism; conflicting messages from different environments; unrealistic expectations or lowered aspirations; self-doubt, self-criticism, and comparisons; religious training; loneliness; physical attractiveness; confusion about passivity, assertiveness, ambition, and accommodation; and the interaction between career and personal lives.

LOL - Looks like we'll have to start two new topics: Gifted female ex-children and Gifted male ex-children! Please give me a hand dear male cousins with some of your favorite links and tips.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity (wink)

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Here's a link to a page that discribes the characteristics of Gifted Adults: http://www.giftedservices.com.au/adults.html Friday's Blog is on this subject!

W
    W
    thanks WG (but I don't get the belly button reference) ((shrug))
    Gins,
    Trins

I always say adults who are highly intelligent or gifted, "have no belly button". It is my own little thing. I thought I used it on here before. sorry.

check under your shirt!!! lol!!

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Interesting! Mine is suddenly missing (just kidding!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs