Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 294 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #143166 11/20/12 01:01 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Hi, my DS7 was tested recently and I have received the results for him WISC-IV. He did very well execpt for the Working Memory. Has anyone had this experience? I'm not sure what it means. His scores were:
    VC 132
    PR 133
    WM 107
    PS 131
    with a Full Scale of 135 and GAI of 139
    The psychologist just emailed me the results but did not really give me any clarifications. I had him tested because the school was complaining how he talks to much and is a little on the hyperactive side. I am hoping that they will now give him some more challenging work. Any guidance anyone has would be much appreciated as I'm new to all this. Thanks.

P
    P
    Welcome! My 2e ds has a relatively low WM score when he was first tested with the WISC (7 years old), but he also had a PSI lower than the WM. Working Memory refers to the memory available for use as you're working a problem (sorry that's not a very technical answer!). A low WM score can be a concern if there are other issues causing an overload on WM, but in general I wouldn't be too concerned about the score. When we asked our neuropsych about ds' WM score when he was 7 she said that her view of it is WM is either "on or off" and a WM lower than PRI/VIQ etc isn't a cause for concern in and of itself. She also mentioned that WM sometimes goes up with age, and that absolutely happened for our ds - when he was re-eval'd prior to going into middle school, his WM score increased significantly.

Best wishes,

polarbear

M
    M
    Hi! My DD also scored a 107 on WM and received a higher score of 121 on PS. She had a gap of 40 points between her WM score and her PR. She is 2e and has a diagnosis of ADHD inattentive type. The psychologist who tested her said her scores were reflective of that profile. I'm not in any way trying to imply your son has ADHD though. Working memory involves the ability to remember multi-step directions and remember and mentally manipulate numbers or verbal information. The good news is working memory is something that can be improved on. There are tons of "brain training" type games that can help increase working memory function.

This is the definition Pearson gives for working memory "Working memory is the cognitive function responsible for keeping information online, manipulating it, and using it in your thinking. It is the way that you delegate the things you encounter to the parts of your brain that can take action. In this way, working memory is necessary for staying focused on a task, blocking out distractions, and keeping you updated and aware about what’s going on around you."

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations