Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    it's here! DS4 is starting the special ed preschool on Monday! We had an IEP meeting today when the final decision was made as to which class he would be going to. And while the special ed director was pushing for him being in the more "advanced" class of older kids, I with the support of both the school OT and ST was pushing for the less academically challenging but easier on the senses class with mainly younger kids and I got what I wanted (I better not regret it later! lol). I told the director I'd rather challenge him academically at home and not send him into class where he'd have a daily sensory overload plus with fine motor and social skills he's more like the younger kids so it should be a decent fit!

One other thing that came up during the meeting ... she suggested that since his birthday is in August and he'll be the most likely the youngest kid in his K class next year (and because I am at least for the moment against holding him a year behind) ... they may start him off as a pre-schooler but transition him into K during the year based on how he'll be doing. K is only half day here as well so it would probably be a fairly smooth change.

And ... his pre-school teacher also works as a one-on-one aid with a disabled K student this year so will hopefully keep him challenged with some K curriculum when she finds it necessary. So, overall I think we have a good plan!

Now I need to put together a "policy and procedure manual" on how to work with my son to minimize any major hiccups at the beginning smile

I also finally got some answers as to "gifted" education in our school district. Nothing until 3rd grade and then there's advanced Math based on testing (basically the next year curriculum) and advanced LA also starting in 3rd grade. SO, when it comes to DS2.5, I'm at a loss. He will absolutely need some sort of early acceleration or we'll all loose our heads! My secret plan is possibly homeschooling K and 1st a year ahead and then putting him in 2nd, which would advance him by a year and the school wouldn't be able to do anything against it since he would be formally home schooled and eligible for 2nd even though he'd be a year younger. ... but that's still couple years away!

D
    D
    Woot! I hope he loves it!!!

P
    P
    Good news for DS4! Enjoy the victory and worry about DS 2.5 another time:)

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My baby did AWESOME! He was a little uneasy last night and definitely was against the idea of getting on the little school bus. But this morning, he just asked "is this the backpack you got my? I like it!" grabbed it, got on the bus and all was fine. Came home from school happy and full of energy (maybe too much!) and wants to go back to school tomorrow smile

I'm sure things won't go this easy all the time, but a great first day is HUGE. I can't imagine what it would be like if he came home disappointed. We seem to have the 2E part somewhat under control for the moment and can start concentrate more on the GT part!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent