Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #141406 10/25/12 08:18 AM
    OP Offline
    Hello all. I've been lurking off and on for a while, but decided to jump out on that limb and introduce myself.

I am Canadian and a mother of three, a gifted 13 year old super high acheiver with anxiety, a gifted 11 year old who is lazy and unmotivated, and a very likely to be identified gifted 8 year old with wicked intensity problems.

So, we're having lots of fun over here. wink

I am always looking for ways to help my anxiety child chill and enjoy life, ways to motivate my underacheiving lazy bones who is super smart but no interest in doing more than the bare minimum, and of course, last but not least, a way for me not to lose my schmidt on my 8 going on 18 year old, who is like a little firecracker and could start exploding at any minute. Tears, anger, screaming, and yes, even hitting at times (as her poor brothers can attest to). It's really a work in progress, very slow progress, but we keep trying.

Anyway, stepping out from the shadows and looking forward to getting to know everyone better. Cheers!

3piggies #141678 10/28/12 08:58 AM
    E
    E
    The good news is that they do turn into marvelous grownups who can actually carry on an intelligent conversation, if you don't bury them in the back yard at some point between 10 and 18. I think I like my adult children better than pretty much any other adults I know, at this point, and not just because I have to.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    3piggies #141683 10/28/12 09:23 AM
    Nice to meet you!!

LOL. Eldertree, I love it. laugh (Particularly amusing since I happen to have all three of the above children in the form of my single 13yo DD... wink I--jokingly-- offered to "get Dad the shovel" yesterday during the height of the vector-induced full-drama-llama meltdown.)

We "tell Katie* to go home now" quite regularly. (* Katie here = Katie Ka-Boom... for examples, see YouTube and prepare to laugh if you have any experience with a teen who has OE's.)

When she's not being completely insane, I quite like the person that my daughter is becoming, even if I don't agree with her. So I believe that Eldertree's statements are true. I've seen glimmers of evidence.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    3piggies #141684 10/28/12 10:06 AM
    Welcome! Always nice to see another Canuck!

I have an HG+ DD10 who is 2e and struggles with anxiety (getting much better, though!). She is the definition of lazy and unmotivated.,. by her own admission. DS4 is not identified as gifted yet. He struggles with emotional intensities and SPD. Just this morning, I had to drag him screaming from the drug store when he couldn't cope.

It is never dull, having kids like this!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    3piggies #141688 10/28/12 12:12 PM
    V
    V
    Welcome from another Canadian!

I have the lazy unmotivated variety (DS12, MG+, ADHD). DH has been away for a week and I pretty much lost it with my son last night. He just started middle school in an IB program, which I thought would get him working harder, but so far . . . well, not so much.

My new plan (since last night) is to let DS handle deciding how and when to do his school work and see what happens. He thinks that I am way too involved and controlling (and he is at least partly right about that) and I think he is way too laid back about keeping track of and doing his assignments. We are really like oil and water. I am a perfectionist, anxious and like to finish ahead of deadlines. My DS is the opposite. Anxiously awaiting DH's return so I have a live person to vent to . . .

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs