Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Such an interesting question. I didn't really "know" until she was 5, when we had her tested (WISC-IV) by Educational Psychologist that specialized in Gifted Education.

Of course everything made sense then. But I think you know when you have to know. My daughter had gone to an amazing montessori preschool starting at age 2. They let her teach herself to read and write and spell before she was 3 years old. They never drew any unnecessary attention to her "giftedness". The social and emotional support they gave her made her seem and feel that she was always right where she should be even though, looking back, she was light years ahead of children her own age. It was also a mixed age classroom so she had children 2 and 3 years older than her which kept her engaged socially. There was no reason for us to think she was anything except, exactly what and where she should be. They always let her go as far as she needed to, to be satisfied and challenged. They even let her go to the upper elementary to pick up new, more advanced materials in reading, writing science, math, etc. Nothing was age based.

When we sent her to a Private Independent school that claimed to be "rigorous" and promised to "challenge each child at his or her own level" in Kindergarten, we thought we had picked the "perfect" school for our child. We assumed she would be ahead of most the kids as she always had been and that the teacher would differentiate according. We were sooo wrong. By December I thought I would have to pull her out and return to Montessori. She was extremely depressed, yet according to the teacher "the top of the class". The teacher described our child as someone I had never met. She had isolated herself socially, stopped doing the work even though it was things she had mastered at 3 or 4 years old. She had developed severe insomnia. She asked to go to ANY other school except her own and withdrawn herself in every area of her life.

The teacher literally was perplexed at how to engage our child. We then had her tested for her grade level which was 3rd grade month 9 which is essentially a 4th grade level. The teacher was trying to "challenge" our child with 1st and 2nd grade material when she had mastered through grade 3. At that point I HAD to KNOW. Was she really "gifted"? Although at this point we were not surprised that she was gifted but we were surprised at how highly gifted she was. She tested over 4 deviations above the norm and was Profoundly Gifted. I would say at that point we "knew". Meaning, we finally "got it" with our daughter. There is such a big difference between moderately gifted and profoundly gifted. If we had gone on assuming that she was just regular "gifted" we would have never "got it", like we do now.

Looking back after all the research, reading, and education I have done now, if I would have known all that I know now, I would have "known" much earlier. Like when she walked at 9 months. When she showed her pediatrician at 18 months the difference between numbers and letters. When she spelled the words cat, hat, mat, and sat when she was 3 and then read them back and explained the "at" family word pattern. I guess I could have "known" then. But I didn't need to know because before Kindergarten she had everything she needed and more. As long as your child has what they need and are getting academic, social and emotional support above and beyond what they need, labels and testing are irrelevant. Once you need that info to advocate and make decisions based on that information--I highly recommend getting that information so that you can advocate accurately and with confidence as we have been able. But only when you need that information. Based on what we learned we were able to do a full grade skip and it has been life changing for our daughter.
    I hope that perspective helps.

Allison

As long as your child has what they need and are getting academic, social and emotional support above and beyond what they need, labels and testing are irrelevant.

Oh, that is frame-worthy. We are still coming to terms with what it means to be "PG" instead of MG or even HG. We've been more than a decade in letting go of what is "not possible," too. Sometimes those things that serve as niggling doubts (nahhhh.. couldn't be... and yet...) are our only real clues to solving problems.

When we see problems, now, we've learned that it isn't always horses, but we ought to at least consider zebra causes as well because there is no "rule of thumb" for development in a child this unusual. So sure, we can seek advice from others... but the bottom line is that all PG children are their own singularities in some ways. When you've met one PG kid, you've met one PG kid. KWIM?

Once that asynchrony gets just so big, the interplay between areas of strength and personality quirks becomes just as critical in figuring out "HUH??" moments as predicted developmental stages are in most children.

Boy, do I ever wish that I'd known that sooner. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM