Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 435 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Looking over our son's WIAT-II summary, it lists his composite scores as:

Mathematics: 150
    Math Fluency: 110

Obviously a huge discrepancy (not surprising with his writing and processing issues).

My question is, on the DYS site, it says to submit "total mathematics" score for application. Is this a composite of these two scores, or is the mathematics score (w/o math fluency) enough?

I don't recall there being a separate place on the application for a mathematics score. You submit the score reports themselves as attachments, and they'll be able to look at whatever they wish.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    sorry I wasn't clear. I meant, is the 150 mathematics score the qualifying score they're looking for or will they blend these numbers together? (in which case the math score does not provide the qualifying score needed on the achievement section of the application).

thanks!

C
    C
    Hi Elise,

We had the same question when our son took WIAT-III in Feb 2011. We couldn't figure out which one is "Total Math" since the test was administered at school, and they didn't have the answer either!

In WIAT-III report that we received, there are two separate composite scores for Mathematics and Math Fluency. My guess, by looking at the report, is that Math Fluency is a composite score for Math Fluency addition, subtraction and multiplication; while Mathematics is a composite for Math Problem Solving and Numerical Operations. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong ...

We applied to DYS with this report and our son got in. Good luck! smile

P
    P
    I have absolutely no knowledge of the WIAT and my kids have never taken it, so I can't help you with specifics, but fwiw when I had similar questions about the WJ-III Achievement tests I found the answer relatively easy by goggling WJ-III and the subtest titles.

polarbear

P
    P
    I suggest that you email DYS and ask them. They are very helpful and would rather you ask before submitting the application than to submit it and then they have to get more information.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    X
    X
    So does anyone finally figure what total math score is in WIAT-III test? Please share if you know more. I emailed to Davidson and is still waiting for response.

T
    T
    I found a presentation on the Pearson website that shows which sub-tests are used to calculate each composite score. The "Math Problem Solving" and "Numerical Operations" sub-tests are used to calculate the "Mathematics" composite score. I assume that the "Total Mathematics" score referred to in the DYS Qualification Criteria is the "Mathematics" composite score. The "Math Fluency - Addition", "Math Fluency - Subtraction" and "Math Fluency - Multiplication" sub-tests are used to calculate the "Math Fluency" composite score.

The presentation is at: http://www.pearsonassessments.com/h...n_and_Scoring_Handout_September_2011.pdf

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations