Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Looking over our son's WIAT-II summary, it lists his composite scores as:

Mathematics: 150
Math Fluency: 110

Obviously a huge discrepancy (not surprising with his writing and processing issues).

My question is, on the DYS site, it says to submit "total mathematics" score for application. Is this a composite of these two scores, or is the mathematics score (w/o math fluency) enough?
I don't recall there being a separate place on the application for a mathematics score. You submit the score reports themselves as attachments, and they'll be able to look at whatever they wish.
sorry I wasn't clear. I meant, is the 150 mathematics score the qualifying score they're looking for or will they blend these numbers together? (in which case the math score does not provide the qualifying score needed on the achievement section of the application).

thanks!
Hi Elise,

We had the same question when our son took WIAT-III in Feb 2011. We couldn't figure out which one is "Total Math" since the test was administered at school, and they didn't have the answer either!

In WIAT-III report that we received, there are two separate composite scores for Mathematics and Math Fluency. My guess, by looking at the report, is that Math Fluency is a composite score for Math Fluency addition, subtraction and multiplication; while Mathematics is a composite for Math Problem Solving and Numerical Operations. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong ...

We applied to DYS with this report and our son got in. Good luck! smile
I have absolutely no knowledge of the WIAT and my kids have never taken it, so I can't help you with specifics, but fwiw when I had similar questions about the WJ-III Achievement tests I found the answer relatively easy by goggling WJ-III and the subtest titles.

polarbear
I suggest that you email DYS and ask them. They are very helpful and would rather you ask before submitting the application than to submit it and then they have to get more information.
So does anyone finally figure what total math score is in WIAT-III test? Please share if you know more. I emailed to Davidson and is still waiting for response.
I found a presentation on the Pearson website that shows which sub-tests are used to calculate each composite score. The "Math Problem Solving" and "Numerical Operations" sub-tests are used to calculate the "Mathematics" composite score. I assume that the "Total Mathematics" score referred to in the DYS Qualification Criteria is the "Mathematics" composite score. The "Math Fluency - Addition", "Math Fluency - Subtraction" and "Math Fluency - Multiplication" sub-tests are used to calculate the "Math Fluency" composite score.

The presentation is at: http://www.pearsonassessments.com/h...n_and_Scoring_Handout_September_2011.pdf
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum