Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Are the speech struggles receptive speech or just expressive speech? What kind of speech and hearing eval has he had?

Can he follow single-step instructions? 2 step instructions?

He's never had a speech eval, and his hearing tests fine. I think his speech issues are just expressive, although he just doesn't retain info he hears. I think he understands well in that moment though.

He does follow single-step instructions well. I've noticed that he will grab on to one word or concept if I give more complex instructions. If I say, "Go downstairs and get the book that is beside your pencil box." He might come back with the pencil box. He just grabs hold of that one word or concept and runs with it. I've been chalking this up to immaturity and being more developmentally typical than his brother was---but maybe he's not able to retain all those words in his mind. I might experiment with this or have him repeat things back to me and see what I learn from that.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    I can speak from my personal experience as a farout visual-spatial learner. With the right focus and some introspection, there are a lot of coping strategies that can bring the v/s strengths to prop up auditory weaknesses. Some deficits remain, but I'm indifferent to them (e.g. I can only remember all the words to one song.)

You might experiment with some typical v/s coping strategies like encouraging your son to doodle while listening to instructions. Also watching a speaker can be very distracting, music and sounds can make reading harder, and other things.

Where can I learn more about this? Is there a website or a book that will teach me more about typical vs coping strategies for VSL?

Z
    Z
    I'll poke around, I tend to remember how things work, not always good at where they came from. But I've caught up on a lot of more current research from reading the Eide Neurolearning Blog ( http://eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.com ), but don't have a specific post there to point towards.

I've seen a lot of sites talking about visual-spatial learning that don't really get it and think it is just about presentation. It is as much about system and conceptual thinking.

Z
    Z

E
    E
    Two very strong visual learners here (me and ds6). We went through a phase where we thought ds was delayed in auditory processing around 2.5-3.5; he just didn't seem to "get it", as you said. We had 3 speech evals done (at different places from 2-4 years) and audiologist-performed hearing eval - all were 'normal'. DS did not seem to have trouble with word recall and speech fluidity, however. He DID stutter for about a year (they said his brain just worked a lot faster than his tongue).

I clearly remember trying to teach DS his address and home phone number. I made up a little song for our phone number - but it never really stuck (although somehow it sunk into his long-term memory because he'll sing it NOW...2 years later). I finally wrote is name, address, and phone number in large print and put it on the fridge. I never reviewed it with him, but he would read it outloud randomly. After about 2 weeks he had it down.

I,personally, remember things more easily to songs and rhymes, but ds doesn't seem to take to this approach as easily. I think I'm actually a more visual-dependent learner than he is. I can't remember names if I don't see them written, and don't even waste your breath telling me auditory directions to a new place. It means nothing to me. Draw me a map, write the directions down - no problem. The best way I can explain it is that I think in pictures...the clearer the picture, the easier I can access the information.

My grades went up considerably when I got into middle school, and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I started taking notes. Taking notes completely solidifies what I'm hearing. I'm really, really good at listening whilst still filtering the information I need to write down - and that is why I think I was able to succeed in college.

It AMAZES me the people who have never had to take a note in class. It also blows me away when my dh, after seeing a movie just once, can quote specific lines verbatim.

Anyway, I suggest that you go ahead and do a good hearing test (with an audiologist) since any evaluator will want to have that information. Beyond that, maybe a private speech therapist would be a good starting point (they're usually covered by insurance). A speech therapist may not be the only stop as you figure things out...but might give you a general direction.

Also...thanks for the references, Zen Scanner. I wish I had known more about visual/spacial learning when I was younger. I spent a fair amount of time feeling 'dumb' because some things just didn't sink in (like I could not tell time FOREVER...it was humiliating).

BTW...may be incidental, but I am a lefty and so is my ds.

Last edited by Evemomma; 09/21/12 11:46 AM.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by Staceyshoe
    Are the speech struggles receptive speech or just expressive speech? What kind of speech and hearing eval has he had?

Can he follow single-step instructions? 2 step instructions?

He's never had a speech eval, and his hearing tests fine. I think his speech issues are just expressive, although he just doesn't retain info he hears. I think he understands well in that moment though.

He does follow single-step instructions well. I've noticed that he will grab on to one word or concept if I give more complex instructions. If I say, "Go downstairs and get the book that is beside your pencil box." He might come back with the pencil box. He just grabs hold of that one word or concept and runs with it. I've been chalking this up to immaturity and being more developmentally typical than his brother was---but maybe he's not able to retain all those words in his mind. I might experiment with this or have him repeat things back to me and see what I learn from that.

Go get a speech eval. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. By 4, he should be able to understand that slightly more complicated example and execute correctly.

If he cannot understand spoken speech, it makes perfect sense that he'd struggle to learn from it.

I have found that there are places that will get you in for the initial evaluation very quickly, and others that give the same evaluation have a mile-long list. With a 4 year old, you don't want to wait 6 months. Get a referral, and also get on the phone. These are standardized tests that are relatively easy to administer, and I don't worry about how giftedness affect the interpretation of the results.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Wow... he sounds so much like my DS8. Yours has more advanced visual-spacial, but then again, none of us (in my family, I mean) have ever tested as PG (just HG).

Anyway, my DS8 has receptive and expressive language disorder as one of his diagnoses (which are still ongoing, lol! sigh)

When I help him with reading, although we do work on phonics, I encourage him to use his strength which is memorizing the words. He's not quite as extreme as your son in that he can change font and even read cursive (he's older though), but he MUCH prefers to memorize rather than decode.

Btw, my son has had FIVE normal (and properly done) hearing tests. He was prone to ear infections when he was younger, which thankfully haven't damaged his hearing. He was asymptomatic many times, so I don't know how many ear infections he had during those important early years of speech acquisition.

He tested negative for CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) but does have a significant binaural integration imbalance (his brain prefers his right ear).

As to the maturity aspect: when I initially wanted to pursue CAPD testing I was told we'd have to wait until DS was 8 because... drum roll... auditory processing can sometimes be delayed in normal development, and usually catches up at about 8. Our audiologist thinks that DS did in fact have an audio processing delay and has now caught up enough to not meet the criteria for the disorder. Meanwhile the binaural integration issue should even out by the time he's 12ish.

Meanwhile... interestingly... he's making new progress with oral language in school (he's in French Immersion). He has lagged behind his classmates in French since about grade 1 (in KG they were all new to it and DS's language issues hadn't presented yet).

The other day I just checked the on-line (school database) copy of his IEP progress report and his "oral" and "decoding" (i.e. phonics) marks had been increased... to "meeting expectations" (grade level). This is the first time he's ever been at grade level in these two categories. He had just turned eight a week or so prior to the report being changed. Interesting timing!! wink

Last edited by CCN; 09/21/12 12:17 PM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Oh... I just thought of something else... the other day on the way home from school I heard my DS8 talk to his sister (9) in a way that I've never heard before. He was easily and fluently able to express his thoughts. I'm so used to speaking for him because of his history of struggle that it literally shocked me when the words I had on the tip of my tongue came out of his mouth instead. It was a really eye opening moment.

(Background: a year ago he tested in the 0.5th percentile for receptive language and 12th percentile for expressive). This last year has represented incredible growth for his language skills.

I should also add that he's had time at school with a speech language pathologist. My personal opinion is that French Immersion, while suppressing his achievement, has helped by stimulating the language areas of his brain.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Go get a speech eval. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. By 4, he should be able to understand that slightly more complicated example and execute correctly.

If he cannot understand spoken speech, it makes perfect sense that he'd struggle to learn from it.

I have found that there are places that will get you in for the initial evaluation very quickly, and others that give the same evaluation have a mile-long list. With a 4 year old, you don't want to wait 6 months. Get a referral, and also get on the phone. These are standardized tests that are relatively easy to administer, and I don't worry about how giftedness affect the interpretation of the results.

Agreed... 100%. Don't wait. There are things you can do as a parent that are as simple as modifying the way you speak to him (make sure he's looking at you, speak v-e-r-y c-l-e-a-r-l-y, etc). With my DS I researched CAPD and treated him like he had it, and it's made a big difference. It's not about his ears, it's about his brain being able to take in language and develop linguistically.

B
    B
    I missed the age of your child. However, the early steps program offers free evaluations and free therapy. Universities with PHD programs over every good evaluations with very low cost. We addressed my son's speech issues immediately, waiting list were long, etc.. but it's very important to address early. All speech should be inplace by 7. Our son is 7 with 4 correctable errors and we are still in speech. The school system, should also be offering services at the age of 3-5 at home if you call them. I am sure this is different geographically, but it's worth a try. If I would have listened to people who told me not to worry about his speech, we would not have made this much progress.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM