Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    I know you mentioned in another post that you had surgery on your son's eyes. Are you sure that the it corrected the strsabismus completely? Have you had the NPC tests and all that again? From what I have learned in my research, my understanding is that the surgery is very often not a complete success and that often times the eyes appear to be corrected and looking staright but that there are still focusing issues, movement issues, etc. and vision therapy is still needed after the surgery. Also, I have heard that more than one surgery is often neeeded. All of this is just what I have been finding out researching how we want to proceed with treating DS' strasbismus so I am no expert by any mean s but just some thoughts.... My DS is doing VT now but I am still exploring getting surgery done.

I had to look up what NPC tests are. I'm not sure if his Pediatric Ophthalmologist did them but I would guess so. The PO is satisfied that his eyes are straight and that he is seeing well. He does use bifocals because his close vision is weak, probably because of the double vision he had for nearly 6 years. He also had intermittent strabismus which didn't start becoming obvious to us until he was about 4 or 5.

The PO seemed to think that with the type of strabismus he had the one surgery will probably be enough, but of course can't guarantee that. I had similar concerns about surgery at first. We decided to do the surgery because his vertical misalignment was pretty severe and likely would only get worse. We didn't want his brain to shut down and stop using one of his eyes. He also tilted his head and we didn't want to end up with head or neck issues. It turned out to be a relatively easy surgery - about an hour - and the recovery was easy for him. He does still have a very slight inward eye turn that could not be corrected with surgery (it's not noticeable at all) but this is being addressed with a slight prism in his glasses.

Whether or not the vision issues impacted his learning I really can't say.

Last edited by bronalex; 09/06/12 05:59 PM.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    OP Offline
    He sounds very similar to my DS8 when he was tested at 7.

From what I'm learning, 6.5 yrs can be too young to differential between ADHD and giftedness. My DS was diagnosed at 7 with having severe ADHD combined type by the psychologist (who is very competent in certain areas, but admitted herself that DS was difficult to test and that we should take the results with a grain of salt). Meanwhile our pediatrician was baffled by the ADHD diagnosis and insists that DS is very different from the countless ADHD kids she sees.

Anyway. I contacted SENG for advice. I was told that gifted kids often have prefrontal cortex developmental delays (that catch up later) that mimic ADHD and misdiagnoses are more common before the age of eight.

I wouldn't ignore the ADHD idea completely, but certainly take it with a grain of salt, and let some time pass for your DS to grow and develop.

Thank you for this information. I will definitely followup and research that. It makes sense to me.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Here's my input - it may come across as random and scattered - hope it helps a bit!

I think if the low dip in coding speed was related to a true LD (visual challenge or fine motor skill) you'd also see a low dip in the academic fluency score, because those tests require handwriting and are timed. "Academic Fluency" Is a combined score, made up (if I remember correctly) of writing fluency, math fluency and reading fluency. If there was scatter in the fluency subtest scores that might mean something, but I"m guessing your ds is solid across the subtests.

I have heard repeatedly over the years that low processing speed (coding) shows up in the WISC profile for kids with ADHD. That doesn't mean your ds has ADHD, but you've had feedback from school that he has behaviors that sound similar to what you'd see in a child with ADHD and the psych also commented that it's a possibility. I *wouldn't* want to wait 2 years to figure out if your ds has ADHD or not, but it also probably isn't something you are going to figure out right away. I would ask your pediatrician for a referral for an ADHD evaluation - the type of evaluation where the dr takes a developmental history and has parents *and* teachers fill out behavioral questionnaires. Our ds was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive type) in 2nd grade, but he is also EG and 2e. What clarified things for us was the ADHD-specific evaluation.

I wouldn't totally ignore the possibility of an LD either - as I said, I don't think you have signs of one in the scores but he does have a very low coding score relative to his other scores. If you notice he's struggling at all with handwriting or keeping up with timed assignments, then I think it would be worth investigating the low coding score further. FWIW, the behaviors that our ds had that his teachers attributed to ADHD in 2nd grade were actually behaviors due to his undiagnosed LD - he doesn't have ADHD.

Last thought - I was a little surprised your psych didn't give you scores for VIQ and PRI on the WISC. They do have scatter, and I've read that the degree of scatter you've seen is enough to have questions about the accuracy of averaging them together, but I've also never seen a report with that (smallish) degree of scatter not scored for VCI and PRI (but please know I'm not a psych, just the mom of two 2e kiddos!). I am *not* surprised they didn't calculate the FSIQ given the relatively low processing speed score, but I think the GAI (given it's calculated correctly) is a good estimate as long as the subtest scores for VIQ and PRI are roughly accurate.

Did the psych make any notes about attention or being distracted during the WISC?

Last thought on the coding speed - our ds had a very low coding score on his first WISC. At the time the psych felt it was due to his age (6) and not really "getting it" that it was important to move quickly on a timed test, and possibly being a bit of a perfectionist and she expected it would go up in a few years when he retested. She said these were very typical things for a 6 year old - so I am restating it only to let you know she felt they were very typical and wasn't surprised by a dip in processing speed when testing young children.

polarbear

Thanks polarbear - a lot of good information in your reply.

Here are his subtests on WJ-III.

Reading fluency 128
    Math fluency 112
    Writing fluency 128

But he got a 162(!) in calculation...I've seen him write out all the multiplication tables quickly - he draws fast and his handwriting is great (they teach cursive in Montessori beginning in K)

I think what you said about his age makes sense. I don't think he has had to do much timed work in Montessori and maybe didn't realize he was supposed to move quickly.

Just today, DS told me that he didn't do two in-class assignments he was supposed to do because he was doing other things and ran out of time. *sigh* At least the school knows that he is gifted and I hope his teacher (who is new to the school but had experience as a gifted teacher in public schools) will be patient with him. I'm wondering now if I need to talk to her sooner than later or let her have a couple months to get to know him and then maybe talk about his scores during P-T conferences? I don't want to pounce in the second week of school LOL

C
    C
    Originally Posted by bronalex
    Here are his subtests on WJ-III.

Reading fluency 128
    Math fluency 112
    Writing fluency 128

But he got a 162(!) in calculation...I've seen him write out all the multiplication tables quickly - he draws fast and his handwriting is great (they teach cursive in Montessori beginning in K)
    Knowing what the WJ tests are testing might give a little more insight. There should be more of them than what you've got here, but based on these four:

Reading fluency isn't one I'm familiar with. Math fluency is a timed test of solving math facts. Writing fluency looks at essentially how well a child follows written conventions (punctuation, spelling, etc.) in writing short sentences. Calculation tests basic mathematical computation skills and is not timed as far as I know.

With some help from someone with more knowledge than I have on calculating WISC #s, FWIW, the scores you have on your first post of this thread would give him a VCI of 121, a PRI of 129, a WMI of 123, a PSI of 91, and a FSIQ of 123.

OP Offline
    Thanks Cricket. That is helpful. Do you know if the FSIQ is comparable to the Total Achievement number (which was 143) - are they both considered an "IQ score"? They are so different so I am not sure what to make of that still. I was expecting to see scores on the WISC-IV like he got on the WJ.

I have more WJ subtest scores but was only listing those related to fluency which the other poster was talking about. Here are the rest:

Letter-Word ID 141
    Story Recall 115
    Understanding Directions 118
    Spelling 146
    Passage Comprehension 145
    Applied Problems 141
    Story Recall Delayed 114
    Reading fluency 128
    Math fluency 112
    Writing fluency 128
    Calculation 162

Reading fluency is "speed of reading sentences and answering yes or no to each" (I looked up what the tests were myself)

He seems to have issue with the speed tests and recalling things verbally (although I supposed 115 isn't really a "problem" but it's low for him...). We have noticed that sometimes when he is trying to explain things he gets "stuck" and it takes him a second to get the right word out. It doesn't happen all the time so I'm not sure if that is considered a stutter or not (he doesn't sound like what I think of when I think of stuttering...). Maybe that is related to all of this.

I guess we are at the point of deciding do we pursue more testing/evaluation now or wait until he matures a little bit? We know where he has some weaknesses which will be helpful in the meantime I guess.

N
    N
    Glad to see your post and responses as I was going to post about our DS9 that took WISC IV last year. Thought I would share to help and also seek any additional advice smile
    The difference between his verbal comprehension (155) and processing speed (121) 34 pts seems to be causing some frustration/overwhelming feelings now that he is in the throws of 5th grade. We just now figured out he may have ADD Inattentive type. He shows many signs of it that may have been "masked" in his Montessori class environment (he went through Lower El. Montessori classroom and switched to a traditional, magnet gifted class for 4th and now 5th). In his three years of Montessori he could daydream/stare at the creases in his hand for 5 minutes and it really didn't matter. Put the same kid in a traditional class and in 5 minutes the teacher may have just given the outline of what is expected on a project. He got through traditional 4th grade (with A's no less) with a teacher that offered "redo's" for careless mistakes and me hanging over his side prodding him to focus and get his work done. Now we know there is something needs to be addressed...sooner, not later smile Have a call in to the psychologist.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by bronalex
    WISC-IV

Similarities 13
    Vocabulary 17
    Comprehension 11
    VCI = Not interpretable

Block Design 15
    Picture concepts 10
    Matrix reasoning 19
    PRI = Not interpretable

Digit span 12
    Letter-number sequencing 16
    WMI = 123

Coding 6 (what? REALLY??)
    Symbol search 11
    PSI = Not interpretable

FSIQ = Not interpretable
    GAI = 129 (obviously not terribly accurate!)

WJ-III Acheivement (Clusters)

Oral language 121
    Broad reading 136
    Broad math 152
    Broad written language 138
    Math calculation 150
    Written expression 127
    Academic skills 150
    Academic fluency 133
    Academic applications 140
    TOTAL ACHIEVEMENT = 143

I just saw this thread (linked from your more recent thread).

I notice many similarities to my 7yo son's scores, see here
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted...._scattered_scores_Any_th.html#Post150672
    in particular, relatively lower scores in Comprehension, Picture concepts, Coding, Symbol search (but despite low PSI, still high fluency in WJ-III ach.). I'm also curious what it all means.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM