Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    The very large company I work for is hiring software developers without degrees, for example... So who knows what I'll be thinking in a few years.

That's generally been true for software people generally.

Just like in law, it's generally true that the best thing you can do for your legal career is to go to Yale Law. The second best thing is to go to Harvard Law.

Different career tracks have different entry requirements.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    We're right there with you right now--DD is at a GT magnet and the math is a year ahead. They start them off slow the first year, though. This year--not anymore. She's struggling a little right now--what? I don't understand this instantly? I have to PAY ATTENTION? I must be AN IDIOT! I AM NO GOOD AT MATH! AAIIIIEEEEEEEEE11111!!!!!
    (I know all the other kids in the class are going through the same thing bc I've talked to their parents)

It's very early in the year. This is the polar bear swim.

Every night. But she has gotten 95s on all the quizzes so far. The process is just painful!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ... and I'm coming from the perspective of not only parenting a high school junior right now, but also from a point of believing that there is much, MUCH more at stake than having a child who gets into an Elite College.

Yep. Me too. My other thoughts on the matter, since I do have but an 8 year old, is that college degrees ain't what they used to be, and they continue to change. The very large company I work for is hiring software developers without degrees, for example... So who knows what I'll be thinking in a few years. But it is WONDERFUL to teach perseverance as early as possible.

Yes, yes, yes. This is how I see it. For my dd's talents and passions, (not mathy/computery) I think she will for sure be attending college--but I do think that she could find intellectual peers at a state school even if it might require a little more effort.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Yes, yes, yes. This is how I see it. For my dd's talents and passions, (not mathy/computery) I think she will for sure be attending college--but I do think that she could find intellectual peers at a state school even if it might require a little more effort.

I hope she does. There is wide variation in the selectivity of state schools. UC Berkeley attracts students who are as good Stanford's best but who were rejected for non-academic reasons or who wanted to save money. I don't think many of the very best students are found in a less-prestigious UC school such as
    UC Davis. Nowadays admission to flagship state schools has become more competitive. I have written a lot about Ivy admissions, but getting in has such a lottery aspect that no student or parent should count on it. Not getting into the flagship state school I consider a real loss, however.

O
    O
    I'll agree with posts by numerous others. 7th-8th grade is a GREAT time to explore, perhaps face plant, or at least struggle enough to be forced into learning how to study. Grades in MS have zero bearing on any college application. Better to learn to struggle and persevere now rather then hitting that wall for the first time as a 1st semester Freshman in college.

Learning to learn is the most valuable thing one can accomplish in Middle School. Struggling, being somewhat frustrated, yet keeping after it and succeeding is what builds true self esteem.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    I'll agree with posts by numerous others. 7th-8th grade is a GREAT time to explore, perhaps face plant, or at least struggle enough to be forced into learning how to study. Grades in MS have zero bearing on any college application.

No, but they determine whether a child will placed in honors courses in 9th grade, which does matter for college admissions.
    In addition, the correlation between grades in 8th and 9th grade must be substantial, so mediocre grades in 8th would concern me.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by deacongirl

I hope she does. There is wide variation in the selectivity of state schools. UC Berkeley attracts students who are as good Stanford's best but who were rejected for non-academic reasons or who wanted to save money. I don't think many of the very best students are found in a less-prestigious UC school such as
    UC Davis. Nowadays admission to flagship state schools has become more competitive. I have written a lot about Ivy admissions, but getting in has such a lottery aspect that no student or parent should count on it. Not getting into the flagship state school I consider a real loss, however.

This is highly field-dependent.

And FWIW, UCLA is one of the most selective public schools in the nation right now. Average accepted student GPA's are topping 4.50-- yes, really-- and that is far higher than at either Stanford or Berkeley. The reasons aren't really clear, in all honesty-- other than simple population density.

Also-- Davis is the flagship school if your interests are in veterinary medicine, and some kinds of molecular biology. In those fields, a degree from either Berkeley or Stanford would be considered second rate. wink

Just noting that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    J
    J
    I would definitely not pick on the University of California, Davis. It is ranked #38 in US News and World Report. The average GPA for an accepted student there is 4.20 on a 4.00 GPA scale. In California, all of our state UC schools are overflowing with students.

The quest for the perfect high school transcript and college application is an unhealthy one on so many levels.

B
    B
    I will admit to knowing little about UC Davis except that it is not as famous as Berkeley. But looking at the SAT score ranges of the two schools confirms my statement that Berkeley has more top-notch students.

UC Berkeley
    Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
    SAT Critical Reading: 600 / 730
    SAT Math: 630 / 760
    SAT Writing: 610 / 740

UC Davis
    SAT Critical Reading: 520 / 650
    SAT Math: 570 / 680
    SAT Writing: 530 / 650

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard