Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    eldertree #136430 08/27/12 09:49 AM
    Originally Posted by eldertree
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Since this thread has already left the reservation, I'd just like everyone to know that I just got a baby coffee pot that only makes four cups of coffee at a time.

I had no idea that they made baby coffee pots like this!

Well, I knew that there were Keurig (or whatever) coffee pots, but they're just designed to sell overpriced coffee.

If I were a girl, I would decorate it with pink flowers and ribbons.

We have one of those-- and it's a lovely shade of turquoise (which, being a girl, I totally appreciate).

Seriously, I think they market them this time of year especially for college kids. Possibly color-blind ones, judging by the Barbie Pink and Lurid Violet ones which sat on the shelf next to mine.

I had a birthday party for DD10 this weekend. My wife prepared nice pink goody boxes for the girls with girl stuff inside and green/blue boxes for the boys.

Naturally, the boys took the pink boxes, so now they have nice pink flower stuff.

Tetriste #136536 08/28/12 11:58 AM
    L
    L
    When I was young I made straight A's in school. I used to be a very good test taker and felt very smart because of it. I was able to get jobs that paid well because I scored higher on employment tests than most of the other people who took the tests.

I am one of the slow people now. I think my son sometimes gets impatient with me when I have to ask him how to do things on the computer. We sometimes race each other to do algebra problems and he always wins. He feels good about this. Occasionally he asks me why I am so slow.

I am slowly thinking about why this might be. Let's see. My first thought is that sleep deprivation slows me down--coffee no longer works for me at this point. I read to my 14-year-old son every night to help him fall asleep. He has to wear a painful scoliosis brace and he is more sensitive than a lot of people. The last several hours of brace wearing each day are the hardest and I told him three years ago when he first started wearing a brace that I would help him through this. I stay up until about 4 a.m. with him. My husband wakes up at 6 a.m. so I wake up, fall asleep, and wake up again until I can see it is just futile and I stay up. This morning my husband had another skin cancer surgery and I had anxiety about that. I think I got about 5 hours of sleep.

I let my son sleep as much as he can before I have to wake him up and put the brace back on him. The stress I feel doing this makes me tired. Not only am I slow but I am also very cranky. My son gets more sleep than I do and that's okay. He needs to get enough sleep so that he can learn. I just try to ignore his comments about me being slow.

Although I am actually middle class, I often feel poor. I worry that I won't be able to afford college for my son and I don't want him to take out student loans. When I was young I thought I would have more money than I have now, but life happened. Things happened that were beyond my control and that caused anxiety. I watched all the people who I was closest to deal with painful health issues. This raised my blood pressure. Blood pressure medication slows me down even more but as a highly sensitive person I have trouble trying to keep calm and carry on. I am the slowest of slow when I have a migraine.

If my son doesn't learn anything else, I want him to learn to have compassion for slow people who might be having a bad day, a bad month or a bad year.

As far as being lonely, my son and I know all about that. He didn't fit in with people who accept being told what to think and neither did I. He won't pretend to be like the other kids just to fit in.

CCN #136554 08/28/12 01:47 PM
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by Tetriste
    Is it normal to be impatient towards other people with a slow mind?

...I get frustrated with my husband - does that count?

(bah ha ha hee hee)

A-hem. Sorry.

Seriously though - he has his area of cognitive strength (i.e. very mechanical, memorizes formulas, etc), but he is not at all abstract, can NOT multitask AT ALL, and doesn't get metaphors (I live metaphorically!!). Sometimes I'll start talking and he'll just stare at me, dumbfounded. So then I have to start over and s-i-m-p-l-i-f-y. sigh.

Well, it sounds like I'm much like your husband. I'm sure I drive my wife nuts at times. We all have our blessings and our weaknesses.

I have trouble "seeing" text in my head. Many of my posts probably evidence this as my spelling has much to be desired. My wife can verbally spell a word and she has to repeat it perhaps 3 times before I see the letters form in my brain. On the other hand, I can look at a 2D blue print and build it in 3D in my mind in no time flat and see that picture in my mind in a heart beat. To me it's frustrating meeting with clients who need me to draw EVERYTHING for them in many perspectives just to grasp a simple concept visually. What's even more frustrating for me is how many clients come into our business ready to spend between 5k and 500k and have no idea what they want. Decision making for me comes very quickly.

Again, we all have our blessings and our weaknesses. The frustration comes when we focus on people's weaknesses rather than looking for their strengths and focusing on them be it in conversation, in education, or at leisure.

Lately my frustration is in people confusing the following:

Management and Leadership
    Knowledge and Wisdom
    Fair and Equal

Old Dad #136561 08/28/12 02:47 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Again, we all have our blessings and our weaknesses. The frustration comes when we focus on people's weaknesses rather than looking for their strengths and focusing on them be it in conversation, in education, or at leisure.

Nicely said.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...