Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Easy communication makes a huge difference. Alfie Kohn's 'Unconditional Parenting' worked well with DS and also helped reduce tantrums.
    We don't say much about DS4 and what he is up to but I will never forget the look on a friend's face when DS at 1 asked clearly for cranberries smile. I just said " yes he loves those" and moved on!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    At 10 months DS was clearly saying "guitar," which made one of my friends very uncomfortable because her five year old could not say it so well. Now, he easily says things he wants, like zucchini and cheese. He hasn't had cranberries yet. smile

It's strange. My Mom's group (composed of mom's whose babies were born in the same month and year) are usually very supportive, but any time DS language skills come up they either shut down or say things like, "It's just a stage" or "It's just his thing." Sigh....

Thanks for the recommendation. I am amassing quite a list of books.

S
    S
    I try not to discuss DS's advanced things with the other moms unless they ask now. It just works better that way for us.

As for mainstreaming, I think it really depends on the child and what you are hoping to do. I was somewhat mainstreamed in a public school that had pullouts for math and reading. Even with the pullouts, it was too slow and I was miserable. I was also shy. I had friends but learned to essentially turn my brain off in class. My grades were good, I was seemingly well adjusted but miserable.

For my DS, I am looking for a private school for when the time comes that will have small classes and challenge him intellectually. It is not about status, but about being happy with who he is and continuing to love to learn. I have not ruled out homeschooling. This is all a bit premature though as DS is not even 2.

I think mainstreaming is less important now that technology has made the world smaller. A person can find a virtual community or hybrid community (like DYS) for peers now whereas before conforming might have been the only way to avoid loneliness. Although I would say trying to conform to have friends is really very lonely...

S
    S
    It is wonderful that you have so many instruments. DS has been asking for a guitar for a while now. He enjoys his little piano (& I enjoy listening to it.) I was thinking of getting him a 1/4 scale guitar. Smurlene, you mentioned that your DS has 2 full sized guitars. Does he also have a small one? What led you to go with the large ones? Are they all nylon stringed?

Would love any suggestions you could offer.

Thanks!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    SAHM....I think we have the same objectives. I want DS to be in a school where he thrives. I want his love for learning to be nurtured. The school I have chosen for him has an 8:1 ratio and multifaceted learning environments.

As for the guitars. My husband is a classical guitars, so we have five or six guitars just hanging around the house. He loves to play them. We have considered getting him his own, smaller guitar, but we haven't looked at them yet. He does have a toy guitar from the Backyardigans that a friend gave him for his 1st birthday. He likes it alot, but of course, it is not like the real thing.

Isn't it fun when they play the piano? DS has a full-size keyboard in the living room that he has been playing with for ages. He is just now starting to really get the hang of singing.

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot. I feel like I can talk about DS here and no one things I am being a jerk.

S
    S
    I really like reading your posts. :-) It is so nice to find others in the same boat.

It must be wonderful at your house during family music time. What a gift to your son to have such a nice environment.

I am just beginning my search for a guitar for him... am currently considering a jasmine by takamine js141, strunal, or guitarworks. I don't know much about the GW one other than it is a solid spruce top w mahogany and is more budget friendly. All are 1/4 scale nylon strings. I don't have any grand plans... just want something that sounds nice and might survive for a couple years.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I know! What a relief to find this group! I feel so alone sometimes, and he is only 15 months. What will it be like in another year?

There is music here all the time. I am grateful that our whole family loves it.

Thanks for the tips on the little guitars. I am going to check them out online. I really appreciate it.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    I understand where you are coming from. It is a wonderful and exhausting adventure that is a bit lonely. My DS is only 22 months. Same early milestones as others here... walking and first words by 6 months. Now he knows and loves letters, counting, colors, etc. He has taught himself some sight words.

My only advice is to follow his lead, teaching what he wants to learn, and providing opportunities to stretch a bit. Ignore some of the age limits on toys but keep a close eye on safety issues. These forums are great for toy and book suggestions. A kid's piano has been great for us also.

It is nice to find age ranged activities. I second Music Together if you find a good teacher. Kindermusik with its small age bracket did not go well for us. Sigh. Toddler gymnastics has been fantastic.

A word of warning. I am not much further along in this parenting journey but I have been really surprised by other parents. There is definitely negativity from some that you must be doing something horrible to your child if they can count/speak well/read so early ... "Why can't you let him be a kid?" No amount of talking will convince them that your child just loves learning. My child will chase me around the house with a book, saying "Read please!" ... just follow your child and ignore the unsupportive strangers.

I obsess over future planning, preschools, schools, etc because it makes me feel like I may find a good place for all of us. We will probably do a playbased preschool next fall (lol at the how early this seems).

Lately I am focused on trying to find some nice playgroups for the near term. Having a hard time because the kids his age aren't interested in playing with others yet and the older kids aren't nice to him.

Sorry if I made this more about us than you. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. If you are in Michigan, we'd love to play some time!

Sorry for the rambling post from my phone.

My 21 month old has been inviting everyone to play with her lately, but the kids her age mainly play side by side, and the older kids mostly completely ignore her like she isn't trying to interact with them. ;-\
    It doesn't help that she uses sign language so much. They think she's just a baby.

S
    S
    Yes! My DS keeps introducing himself on the playground. He is a very outgoing kiddo and is down when they dont respond positively. No luck so far.

I have emailed my local GT network and offered to start a local playgroup if any of the members have young children. The group seems targeted toward parents of middle and high schoolers. It is a bit out of my comfort zone but I am trying. If only we had something like New Zealand's Small Poppies...

S
    OP Offline
    S
    My DS has been doing the same and they just roll by him. I feel so bad. Some of the older kids are sweet to him, but they run away to play with their own agemates.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM