Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #135638 08/13/12 04:44 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I would really, really like a part-time preschool option for DS3inOct but can't find much close to home. Has anybody had any luck with Gymboree's school skills program? I like the schedule MWF for 3 hours a day, but I suspect it's going to be too much sit-here/do-this for my strong-willed, free-spirited little guy who hates repetition. I'm pregnant and could use the break, but I don't know how soon and how much to ask my little guy to conform. I can see the notes coming home from the teacher in my head already, especially about circle time, his nemesis. I'm not due till Feb, so part of me wants to wait until Jan because I feel like we might get a few months out of a so-so preschool just with the novelty of it all. But I hope to look around for more options this month.

What are everyone else's fall plans for preschool?

Last edited by Somerdai; 08/13/12 04:45 PM.
    DS will be 4 in a few weeks. He will be returning to the same play-based preschool that he attended last year. It is 2.5 hrs, three days a week. He loves it and fits in really well. His teacher last year was incredible. She also taught my DD. I feel she was a good part of why my kids do so well at that school. She had DS figured out by the second week and did a lot to prevent his sensory issues from becoming a problem. This year, we are a little worried how he will cope without her. Hoping his OT will help!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    E
    E
    We're starting my dd2 into a "mother's day out" program this year to help her adjust to older ds starting K. She's extremely social and is going to miss ds like crazy. This program is at the same preschool my ds attended. I'm a little bummed she's been placed with the "younger 2s" as the teacher isn't as good, but I know she'll love it. It's two 6-hour days a week. I will see clients while she's at school. Sniff...my babies aren't babies.

K
    K
    Montessori school...3 full days a week, starting tomorrow. We've been off for the summer. We had a traditional age-graded day care/preschool from 18 months until almost 4 years old, but once they started getting into more "school readiness" DS was so far beyond what they were doing it was not a good fit. We've been happy with the Montessori school, and he seems to be excited about going back tomorrow.

S
    S
    Sorry for the late reply, but my daughter has started a 5x 1/2 day Montessori program for 3-6 yr olds (it is full day the last year). She will be 3 this month. She is transitioning from a daycare which had a preschool, but it was very teacher led and she was already bored with anything lesson-y. I would be pretty shocked if she is not reading by the end of this school year (not that I care, I just think she's very close to making that leap).

J
    Jai Offline
    J
    DS (3) just completed his second week in preschool whose teachers have Montessori training but the school follows the Reggio philosophy (it goes thru 8th grade). He attends 3 days/week 3 hours/day. The preschool class is combined ages 2.5 to 4.5. There are 2 lead teachers and 3 assistants. 44 children are currently enrolled but all kids are not there each day. They offer three and five day options, and if you select three, you can pick which days your child goes. I selected T, W, F because of the special 30 minute classes offered on those days. M-art, T-Mandarin, W-Spanish, Th-Library, F-double header with gym and music (by a Suzuki-trained instructor). DS loves it.

K
    K
    We gave up on DS almost four's gifted preschool and opted for a completely
    Play based school. So far we all love it. It is the oldest school in town, ds's
    Teacher has been there for 31 years! Kids from 3 to 5 are all mixed together
    And they never have any activity two days in a row. Most important of all; NO
    CIRCLE TIME! DS favorite classes are gardening and Drama.

We did not discuss with the director or teachers that DS tested as HG or any
    Of his talents. He usually is a hider but on the second day he was there his
    Homeroom teacher me me at the door at pick up time and told me he was a pleasure to have in class and that she had discovered that he reads as well
    As she does. ( of course he does not but it got her point across). She let him read a Halloween book to the class and he read it Fluently with inflection and then asked his clssmates comprehension questions. She then asked if we knew how extremely unusual it was that he could do that. It should be interesting when DS starts lecturing about Greek myths and ancient civilizations!

It certainly makes our life easier that the teacher made the discovery herself.
    Everyone thinks we are crazy if we tell them about his abilities and interests.
    Sure hoping he continues to like this school!!

F
    F
    We switched schools into a Montessori Pre-school. DD just turned 4. I have to say though that I am still a great believer that it does not matter the program it matters the teacher. The first teacher was ok. Better than what we had. We switched into another class with a different teacher and she is fantastic!!!! She has my little one reading in the class. She is not concerned with age. She connects with the child and works from there. I have a fourteen year old gone through quite a few teachers and this one ranks up there!! My little one has fine motor issues and the teacher sees right through all the issues. She has her coloring the continents and even though she can not stay anywhere near each one if you look close you can see that the colors are actually in the general area that they are suppose to be. Teacher got it right away. Little one came home and said that she wants to travel to all the different places. I am so relieved! I do not feel I have to advocate for her, but more of team member working toward the best for my kid. I hope it stays that way!

flower #139877 10/07/12 07:59 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Khombi
    Kids from 3 to 5 are all mixed together
    And they never have any activity two days in a row. Most important of all; NO CIRCLE TIME! DS favorite classes are gardening and Drama.

That sounds wonderful... wish I could find something similar.

Originally Posted by flower
    I do not feel I have to advocate for her, but more of team member working toward the best for my kid. I hope it stays that way!

So glad for you, certain teachers definitely make a difference.

DH and I decided to wait on preschool for DS3, so I'm just doing some at-home activities for now and DH is taking him on Friday mornings to give me a break. I'm still thinking about looking again in January though... smile

F
    F
    YUP...I think the teachers are more important than the program or philosophy..Although a good teacher imbedded in a philosophical program that is congruent with the teachers style is gold!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent