Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    On recent testing, ds9 (ADHD) has been identified as having a learning disability in math (and writing). His processing speed and working memory were extremely low.

This was the first time he's been tested without ADHD meds, other than when he was given the Stanford Binet-V at age 5 (those scores were MUCH higher across the board).

In fact, a little over a year ago, he was tested using the same cognitive testing, and his scores were significantly higher (on meds), although areas of strength vs. weakness were opposite (compared to the current testing).

Who knows what to think. He's off all meds at this time due to significant side effects and adverse reactions. We've tried them all.

Anyway, my question is whether or not Rightstart Math might be a good curriculum for him in light of the identification of the math learning disability. If not, any other recommendations? Memorization of math facts has been difficult; worksheets/workbooks are torturous.

Thank you.
    ~Jen

Hi Jen -
    Does the answer to this post apply?
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ue/Re_Math_disorder_help.html#Post135294

is it a problem with getting any information to Automaticity,
    http://wp.me/p2tcDf-1S
    or only Math?

Best wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    What disability was he diagnosed with, out of curiosity? Was it dyscalculia?

RightStart might not be a bad choice because it supposedly has spiral aspects to it (i.e. the curriculum periodically "spirals" back to reinforce topics already learned). I guess my opinion would have to be based on more knowledge of whether he does well with conceptual learning but has more trouble with math facts, or something else is going on.

I personally have a very high opinion of Singapore Math for elementary grades, and think that if it were correctly administered that it would work for almost all children very well. Some advantages for your situation include a progression from concrete (hands-on work with manipulatives, especially in earlier grades) to pictorial to abstract; the ability to add extra work at each stage, through workbooks and extended practice sets ("intensive practice" and "challenging word problems" books); strategies for mental math and problem solving that work well (though one could fairly claim that the over-application of the SM bar model can be confusing); clear guidance for the instructor through the teacher's manuals and similar home instructor's guides; and in general a very thorough and clear presentation of topics. It would also be easy to add extra practice with an online or written program at each step, though I suppose that's true with most programs.

There are some thoughts and links relevant to math facts practice in another thread.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM