Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The neuropsych finally emailed the report for the testing we had done last month (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/133079/1.html).

And after reviewing the report and the results and comparing them to his last test, I am completely befuddled. His scores are so much lower across the board. I don't know how that happens or whether the testing environment and the tester's lack of additional prodding on certain answers made that big of a difference. I've started the process to ask for a second opinion, but I'd love as many opinions here as you all might want to offer. Any insight you might have would be so valued.

VCI score 96 / percentile 39
    PRI score 98 / percentile 45
    WMI score 94 / percentile 34
    PSI score 88 / percentile 21
    FSIQ score 92 / percentile 30

Block Design 10
    Similarities 11
    Digit Span 09
    Picture Concepts 10
    Coding 07
    Vocabulary 10
    Letter-Number Sequencing 09
    Matrix Reasoning 09
    Comprehension 07
    Symbol Search 09

Children's Color Trails Test
    CCTT-1 standard score 58 / percentile < 01
    CCTT-2 standard score 82 / percentile 12

Children's Auditory Verbal Learning Test (standard score / percentile)
    Immediate Memory Span 92 30
    Level of Learning 84 14
    Interference Trial 89 23
    Immediate Recall 88 21
    Delayed Recall 77 06

The neuropsych made the following comments worth noting: "He also presented with slow mental processing capabilities, and it took him over 20 minutes to complete 26 arithmetic items. Noteworthy in his presentation is that he had a tendency to overintellectualize things, especially on verbal tasks. This had the effect of lowering some of his scores, as he would offer overly-elaborated responses to questions that require a fairly simple or straightforward response, such as, "How are red and blue alike?" or "What is the definition of the word obey?"

The neuropsych kept the diagnosis of fine motor skills developmental disorder in place but provided no new diagnoses other than to say that he could not substantiate a diagnosis of ADHD.

Here are his original results from his testing through the school two years ago:
    Original results (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ed_info_on_Dysgraphia_ske.html#Post83513)

[/quote]The neuropsych made the following comments worth noting: "He also presented with slow mental processing capabilities, and it took him over 20 minutes to complete 26 arithmetic items. Noteworthy in his presentation is that he had a tendency to overintellectualize things, especially on verbal tasks. This had the effect of lowering some of his scores, as he would offer overly-elaborated responses to questions that require a fairly simple or straightforward response, such as, "How are red and blue alike?" or "What is the definition of the word obey?" [quote]

My DS at just turned 6 also "overintellectualized" his answers but there are methods to deal with this. Was there anything in the answer that provided the simple answer or asking a follow up to the question which I gather they are allowed to do. I don't know much about the scoring but for some reason my DS wasn't penalized as much on the WISC as on the SB5 for doing that, I think on the SB5 you had to get the easy ones right to get the scores regardless of getting the hard ones but my sense is he didn't have to do that on the WISC, but I could be wrong. On both tests he answered the hard ones much more readily and correctly. But both our testers were very familiar with gifted kids.

Sorry it's been so frustrating for you!

DeHe

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes, DeHe, you're right - they are supposed to ask additional questions when a child answers correctly but too detailed, but this tester did not. He just marked them wrong.

There was one additional thing I did find interesting about the results - in the description of the several low scores for the Children's Color Trails Test, it indicated that this was indicative of children with "frontal lobe disorders" and "executive functioning disorders".

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    One updated note - I finally reached the right department within our insurance, and we can ask for a second opinion. The only caveat is that we have to find a psychiatrist willing to make another referral for more testing. But how to find one that at least has seen a 2E kid before. Anyone near New Mexio that has recommendations on a neuropsych, please PM me.

Might be worth a trip to figure this out, or a phone call, to the 2e guy everyone recommends - Ammend, Abend, something like that. I have read a number of people here doing phone consults with him.

At least you are getting insurance to cover, but it really sucks to have an unhelpful professional, and to have to put DS through it again.

((hugs))

DeHe

B
    B
    If your in New Mexico AZ might not be too far, or a phone consultation.

Dr Beljan a pediatric neuropsychologist (office in Scottsdale, AZ), has been recommended on this site, and does phone consultations. I also think he was in one of the SENG videos.

www.paulbeljan.com/

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you, Barbara Jean. Very appreciated.

E
    E
    The slow processing score combined with the comment about "overintellectualizing" is notable. Mostly what it says is "the kid took too long because he was thinking too much about it". Which basically says that the tester has very poor skills with gifted kids, and not a whole lot else.
    Executive function issues combined with some of the other things noted may indicate ADHD (or something similar) compensated for by a bright kid. Or you may just want to look at this whole test as your insurance company's money well wasted, and start afresh elsewhere.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you so much for all of your comments on both threads, Eldertree.

I called the insurance company and finally got far enough up the management chain to be told that we can have a second opinion, which my son is also willing to do. I meet next week alone with the original psychiatrist who referred him for testing, so I'll be free to be candid without my son having to hear all I have to say.

Originally Posted by eldertree
    The slow processing score combined with the comment about "overintellectualizing" is notable. Mostly what it says is "the kid took too long because he was thinking too much about it". Which basically says that the tester has very poor skills with gifted kids, and not a whole lot else.
    Executive function issues combined with some of the other things noted may indicate ADHD (or something similar) compensated for by a bright kid. Or you may just want to look at this whole test as your insurance company's money well wasted, and start afresh elsewhere.

B
    B
    We used the gifted development center. We had to pay for the test, but it has been worth it's weight in gold on many levels.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent