Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #133914 07/13/12 06:25 AM
    S
    SDMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    So, we had DS8 (eek, almost 9!) tested last week. It was tough. He had such a horrible experience with math at the private school he went to from Nov-June of 3rd grade. At the beginning of his time there they use the state end of year tests to determine what the lesson plan will be. LA he tested advanced up through 5th grade. Math, he got stumped on the 4th grade test (did well on 3rd grade). As the director was talking to me about math scores DS was within earshot and has consistently beaten himself up over his "poor" results (hello kiddo -- you were tested on things you've never been formally taught!!) The director/teacher also commented to him more than once that it shocked her that he stated on his application that math is his favorite subject since he struggles with it so much (hello! don't kick while he's down please). As a result he's developing what the neuropsych called a phobia of math. During achievement testing he consistently worried about when the math would start.
    Additionally, we have also been dealing with convergence insufficiency issues as well has handwriting. She has given him a Provisional dx of ADHD - predominately Hyperactive-Impulsive Type. Provisional because she did not fully test this -- (that would be more $$)

So here we go:

FSIQ: 134
    GAI: 153
    Total achievement: 133

WIAT-III (age-based scores… 8 years, 11 months)
    Oral Language: 142 (99.7)
    Total Reading: 129 (97)
    Basic Reading: 127 (96)
    Reading Comp & Fluency: 125 (95)
    Written Expression: 128 (97)
    Mathematics: 117 (87)

WISC-IV
    FSIQ: 134
    GAI: 153

Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 18
    Comprehension 19
    (Information) 18
    (Word Reasoning) 17
    VCI – 152 (99.9)

Block Design 15
    Picture Concepts 15
    Matrix Reasoning 16
    (Picture Completion) 17
    PCI – 133 (99)

Digit Span 9
    Letter-Number Sequencing 12
    (Arithmetic) 14
    WMI – 102 (55)

Coding 9
    Symbol search 13
    (Cancellation) 10
    PSI – 106 (66)

So, at the end of it -- the decision has been made to homeschool him for the coming year. I need to focus on getting his confidence level back to where it was previously. We are going to be doing a cyber charter, probably one of k12's branches -- mainly because DS likes the idea of taking a foreign language. I also need to make an appt with an OT and and an audiologist. Psych did say she would expect to see achievement in math greatly improved if he wasn't so afraid of it. What's funny is she did some word problems with him in conversation and he rocked them and then she told him he just did math. He just freaks out when he sees it written in front of him. Gee, thanks prior director/teacher -- when I had asked director/teacher during year if she thought there was an ADHD issue going on (she claims that she is a 2E pro) she dismissed it as him being spoiled and bad parenting (why I stuck after that I do not know!). DS did make one comment about the math testing from last week, "Mom, why didn't she ask me about binary? I LOVE binary!"

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    Geesh. That director doesn't deserve to be around children. Homeschooling may be the perfect solution. I would check out the Well Trained Mind forums for ideas (they have somewhat of a fundamentalist Christian bias there in my opinion, but you can look past it to get useful info).

I don't know what the homeschooling requirements are in your state, but I would make it a top priority to relax your son about math and make it completely fun. Ed Zaccaro Challenge Math, Life of Fred, and similar resources may help. ALEKS or something else that lets him go at his own pace may build confidence. For math I have a soft spot for Singapore Math, and they have some decent extra challenging word problems available that your son might like. Perhaps he would enjoy exploring computer programming or something similar where math skills would figure in some of the time. Please keep us updated on your choices and progress with him.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    K
    K
    We went through the same thing with my son's preschool about them thinking he was undisciplined and spoiled. My neighbors actually laughed when we told them, because we were definitely the most disciplined, strict parents on the block. They joked, "If you give me ANY time during the day, I can tell you what your kid's doing at that moment! And at any given moment, we can look over and see your kid sitting on the front steps because he's in a time-out for poor behavior!"

My son (6-years-old) also has problems with impulsiveness, though every year it seems to improve. We also wondered if there was an ADHD problem. (Nope- normal behavior for a PG kid we were eventually told.) But the school psychologist told us he "needs more structure and discipline". I kept thinking, "How much more structure and discipline can we give a kid without being a military-style environment? And he goes to an old, traditional, all-boys school!"

Needless to say, we're also in a different school now.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM