Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    We didn't end up signing DS up, but the local, very expensive private university actually had a similar camp that was only $200-$400 for the week.

~amy
    My son (YS9) attended this camp last week. He had a blast. He did the Game Design for iPhone and iPad. He also did the overnight option. He attended two week long overnight camps this summer and both were in this price range. I wish we had more day camp options closer to us but even at the price we will probably send him back next summer.

Crisc
    A
    A
    Not a summer camp, but... our ds, now 12yo, has taken several online programming classes through Northwestern University's Gifted Learning Links. He is doing an IOS game programming class this summer. It is an 18 week curriculum for about $600. He does benefit from the structure the assignments provide, and puts a lot of time into them. I am sure he is learning much more than he would in a weeklong summer camp.

Last edited by amylou; 07/09/12 04:37 AM.
    B
    B
    Not about computer programming summer camps, but the NYT has an article about the University of Washington being a place that attracts recruiters from Silicon Valley as well as Washigton-based Microsoft and Amazon. "Stanford is considered the Hogwarts of techdom", which (not having read Harry Potter) I assume is a good thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/t...orthwest-pipeline-to-silicon-valley.html
    A Northwest Pipeline to Silicon Valley

DS9 attended an ID tech camp 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it. We just did the day program, but he wants to sleep over next year. I agree about the cost...I was anxious we would be throwing money away. But for him to have a whole week with his peeps was worth it. He called it a "computer geek lockdown" because the lab was open to the campers only. He got to be with the teenagers learning C++ and hear kids talking about "real" programming while he did his game design/graphic design using Multimedia Fusion. I would recommend it. Kate

B
    B
    The 2005 book "Kids Who Think Outside the Box" by Stephanie Lerner recommends

http://www.computercamps.com/

and

http://www.giantcampus.com/cybercamps/

(which since the book was published discontinued camps but now offers online courses) , and a College Confidential post
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/9080562-post3.html had some good resources for high school students.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM