Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #127039 04/06/12 11:14 AM
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Does anyone have any feedback on these camps? They are offered at lots of universities and their promotional materials sound good, but . . . $900 for a full week day camp about creating apps for iPhone and iPad. Yikes! My son is begging me to go. Worth the money (will he actually learn something) or pricey babysitting with computers?

I've heard of kids loving this camp, but the price turned us off too. My son wanted to go too, but when we said, "How about we get you a laptop instead, and you can take some free online programming courses and teach yourself" he liked that idea even better.

B
    B
    If anyone is in Illinois..

At Northern Il Universtiy, in DeKalb there are general academic camps and a game development and 3D Virtual World World Development camps.

http://www.niu.edu/clasep/Camps/

http://www.dcl.niu.edu/index.php?q=content/summer-games-camp

http://www.niu.edu/clasep/Camps/other/index.shtml

For alot less $$

B
    B
    A professor of bioinformatics with a gifted son gave his opinion of ID Tech summer camps:

http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/cs-summer-camp/
    CS Summer Camp
    Filed under: Uncategorized — gasstationwithoutpumps @ 21:54
    Tags: education, gifted children, gifted education, summer camp, summer science camp
    On the mailing lists for parents of gifted kids, people often ask about the best computer summer camps. Even more often, they ask for people’s experiences with nationally advertised programs. So far, the general consensus has been that none of the computer camps work particularly well for gifted kids: the pace is too slow, the teachers don’t know enough, and most of the kids in the camp aren’t passionate enough about computers to be good peers.

That was my son’s experience a few years ago when he tried an idTech camp, and it seems to be a common experience for gifted kids in almost all the summer computer camps, no matter who is providing them.

There are several summer math camps that don’t have this problem, so it is not just a matter of gifted kids being hard to please. Rather, I think it is a deliberate attempt to reach the “average” kid that makes the usual computing summer camp useless for gifted kids.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks all for the feedback! This is the information I needed.

Hey, you might want to check out the camps that TCU offers. I am thinking of signing up DS8 for a couple of them. They offer several that are like $200 for half-day. https://lifelong.is.tcu.edu/wconnec...ROUP&Group=SUMC&Title=Summer+Youth+Camps

~amy
    B
    B
    The Wall Street Journal has an article on ID Tech Camp.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304211804577501172428439382.html
    Children Learn a New Way to Play at Summer Camp That Teaches Tech
    By RACHAEL KING
    July 4, 2012, 1:07 p.m. ET

MORAGA—Eight-year-old Daniel Katari isn't just playing computers games this summer—he's making them too.

Daniel, who will enter third grade in the fall, built five computer games within a week last month. He did this at iD Tech Camp, which specializes in teaching kids ages 7 to 18 everything from 3D modeling and animation to Web design and programming in C++. Daniel enrolled for a weeklong session at Saint Mary's College of California in Moraga.

"The best part is playing the games and seeing how they're all put together," says Daniel, who named one of his new creations Brick Braker II. Next summer, he says, he would like to enroll in a session for game design for the iPhone and iPad, which his 12-year-old brother, Michael, just completed.

Daniel and Michael Katari are two of the 23,000 children that iD Tech Camp, run by Campbell-based internalDrive Inc., expects to host this summer in about 60 locations nationwide. With the camps in the Bay Area starting at $799 a week and running up to $1,298 per week, internalDrive is tapping into children's growing appetite for tech to expand its business.

This year, internalDrive is forecasting revenue of $26 million, up 30% from 2011. The privately held company now has 70 full-time and 600 summer employees, compared with 45 full-time and 450 summer employees three years ago, and says it is profitable.

Pete Ingram-Cauchi, internalDrive's president and chief executive, says the company has become the country's largest provider of tech camps.

In the Bay Area, families have several other choices, including camps run by TechKnowHow Inc., in Foster City, Edventure More in San Francisco and The Tech Museum in San Jose.

"Our camps are run out of elementary schools, they're more neighborhood-focused," says Ed Caballero, 35, co-founder of Edventure More, which runs EdTech camps. Of his competitors, Mr. Caballero says iD Tech is the biggest and most well-known.

ID Tech has camps at universities such as Stanford, University of California at Los Angeles, Northwestern, Princeton and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The camps are generally more expensive than competitors, largely because of smaller class sizes—eight students per teacher. "Parents are seeing the value of what we're providing," Mr. Ingram-Cauchi says.

I'd love to have that much money lying around to spend on such things! Nearly $1300 for 1 week of camp! I flew to Thailand and back for nearly that much.

~amy
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by epoh
    I'd love to have that much money lying around to spend on such things! Nearly $1300 for 1 week of camp! I flew to Thailand and back for nearly that much.

I agree the prices seem high. I think kids with the aptitude and motivation to become programmers can teach themselves using Scratch, Codecademy etc, so I am more likely to pay for things like tennis and piano lessons.

Last edited by Bostonian; 07/05/12 07:43 AM.
    C
    C
    I found the price for day camp to be highway robbery! Around my area, it's $750 for day camp only. That is $400 more than any other day camp around, and since sleep-away camp for a week is $1200 it's insane. I suppose if they needed to start up their own facility I could understand the price. But they are using (renting) University computer labs, not purchasing new computers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM