Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and was wondering if it is possible to iq test a 2 1/2 year old. My son appears to be gifted and I wanted to know where he falls so I can try and find the right programs for him.

Thanks so much..any help is much appreciated.

Asha

C
    C
    Have a search here (searching using google and site:davidsongifted.org works better than using the built-in search) as this is a FAQ. Short answer: there are people who will take your money, but it isn't a useful thing to do. You know your child, and this means you have the best knowledge you can have at the moment to find the right programmes for him. IQ testing won't give you new options. You may possibly find that one of your options will require IQ testing for you to take it up, but they won't be interested in an IQ test done on a 2.5yo anyway. And welcome!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Hi Asha
    Welcome. You are not alone in noticing that your toddler is 'not like the others' but this age many of the moms here have learned to button their lips when getting together to chat politely with the neighbor moms. I have met a lot of mon who decided that motherhood must have changed then into shy untalkative people when really it was the subtle looks that shut them up.

So I wish that their was such a thing as an IQ test for a 2.5 year old that was both accurate and respected. I further wish that there were programs availible to slot kids into by ability.

I think the closest you will get is Talent Ignighter Website. If you can find a preschool program that is only for gifted kids, then they will probably have a particular way to test that they prefer, I'd go with that.

It's really heartbreaking to send your kid to preschool with a bunch of agemates that can't talk to your kid or understand the kind of games your child wants to play, so I totally understand your worry and concern.

Visit various programs, see what the kids do, see how the teachers treat them, see what's on the book shelf. Especially as the mom of a girl, you want to be extra careful that whatever environment you place her in will be sending the message: 'We like that you are strong of mind. We respect you.'

Sometimes the best sort of preschool is the 'one room schoolhouse' sort of set up, perhaps a home daycare with older kids in a playbased setting. The worst is the kind were kids sit in circle for hours being force-fed 'Apple starts with A' over and over.

Keep posting and let us know what's on your mind. I'm just guessing here!
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I agree with previous posters. Don't think so much about testing at this age, but rather about providing stimulating experiences. If he's reading, make sure to provide plenty of interesting things at an appropriate challenge level. If he's interested in math, get him some manipulatives and appropriate games and toys. Take him to museums, etc. If you can find a preschool that will provide appropriate stimulation and isn't afraid to place him with older children, it might be a godsend, but you might have to be content with just socialization for now on that front.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you so much for your replies. I feel much better knowing that I am not alone. There really needs to be more programs for gifted children.

It is so true that it is best to keep a lid on what your gifted child can do. This is hard for me because my son doesn't realize that when he goes around everywhere counting, spelling, and doing sign language, other parents are not happy about how advanced he is. I don't go around bragging but he brings attention to himself and them women I thought were my friends are now acting funny. They give me funny looks and don't conversate with me like they use to. I know they are comparing my son to their children. I can't help that he is gifted. Of course I am happy but I'm just a mom and want the best for my child like any other parent. Really all children have gifts and talents. I don't think parents should be comparing there children so much to what others are doing.

I really would like to find other moms whose child is doing similar things. My son is obsessed with numbers and letters and has been since about 14 months. He says his ABC's forwards and backwards, says the phonics sounds and is reading and spelling at an early level. He also is really into sign language and taught himself the sign language alphabet. He likes to hear and do everything in the spanish version too. This really isnt bragging. Maybe it sounds like it but I feel like I can't find any other playmates for my son that want to sit and spell and count and sign words all day. He is already socially outcast at his daycare. I just worry that eventually he will start underperforming once he realizes that his peers don't think what he's doing is cool.

Best of luck to all of you with gifted children. I know no one feels sorry for us but it comes with its own set of struggles.

Last edited by Isaiah09; 06/29/12 09:54 AM.
    We're your people. smile

LOL. In all seriousness, this is where I can be completely forthcoming about the odd things that my child does and know that I am not causing other parents to feel threatended or insecure.

It's just about the only such place, too. I have two other friends/acquaintances in my 'real' life that are in this category, and both of them have MG children of their own, and have known my DD for many years.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I've thought of starting a 'Chapter Book for Toddlers' book club at the library, or taking out an add in the local newspaper!

More seriously, your state Gifted Association may have programs for Parents/kids. Also rub elbows with the local homeschoolers. Some are motivated by religious reasons, but others have advanced kids that they don't want to subject to B&M schools. They may not use the label gifted, but if they don't flinch at your kid, that is plenty fine.

Or call the local IQ tester and see if they know how High IQ kids meet up in your geographical area.

Smiles,
    Grinity

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks so much for all of your input. I have got so discouraged. It seems like no matter where I look there is no real help anywhere. I think the whole marketing thing on this baby/toddler genius has got so out of control that when truly gifted kids come along people just think its parents trying to make their kids gifted. I honestly can't say what is for sure going on with my son but I'm just going to take him to his pediatrician and discuss it with him. Hopefully he can point me in a direction where I can get some answers.

D
    D
    In case you haven't yet, you can also search the archived posts for useful information. It's amazing how the same questions come up over and over again, and so nice to have a place (here) where you can talk about it.

Our DD8 wasn't doing things quite as early as your son but was an early reader and all we did for quite awhile was just be sure to read to her a lot (until she could read herself, and wanted to read alone) and keep a lot of books around--including the 'next level' books (you know, the ones they will start reading next--like early reader chapter books for your son), and books in any area for which they have expressed some kind of interest.

For schools, our DD has had some wonderful luck and some awful luck with Montessori schools, depending entirely on the particular teacher. If your kid is at all unusual, you should try to find a teacher who is okay with that rather than considering it a pain in the neck or it is unlikely to go well for your son.

Good luck with your pediatrician, but be prepared to be gazed at blankly, or knowingly (ah, another one of 'those' parents). I actually never broached this subject with any of our pediatricians because it just seemed like it would be a waste of time. But it's worth a shot--it would be great if more pediatricians (and teachers for that matter) were aware of gifted issues, and your bringing it up may be helpful in educating them.

Best wishes,
    Dbat

Last edited by Dbat; 06/30/12 04:23 AM. Reason: xtras!
    Originally Posted by Isaiah09
    I think the whole marketing thing on this baby/toddler genius has got so out of control that when truly gifted kids come along people just think its parents trying to make their kids gifted.
    Oh yeah! That's why I find the idea of 'levels of gifted' so appealing. The shape of the bell curve predicts that their will be an army of parents in the 120-127 range who are consumers of the 'make your baby smarter' stuff compared to the much much smaller numbers on the other side of any cut off you pick.

I think the pediatrician can be a great idea - but some are dismal.

To me, if your friends are looking at you with those strange expressions than you know all you need to know - you kids is unusual enough that schools where your friend's kids are recognized as 'bright' will be 'not a good fit' for your child. How your child handles being in that situation depends a lot on your ability to 'super-parent' and your child's personality.

Seek out local gifted social outlets and see if the parents there get your jokes.

It is possible to win, but the deck isn't stacked in your favor. I'm hoping this Discussion Forum can take the place, to a certain degree, of the 'local parent network' that just isn't that useful when you are raising an outlier.

I'm not saying that you kid is the smartest baby that ever lived, just that 'around where you hang out' he's beyond the comfort zone. We see this.

Sigh,
    Grinity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years