Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    My son, age 11, is going to be in 6th grade next year. He is in the advanced reading and math programs and will be attending the jr high next year just for math class, then back to the elementary school for all other classes.

Since he'll have a gap in his day, the district is discussing giving them (him & a friend)a computer class through our district cyber school. The issue is that they say the boys won't get credit for the class. I realize that in later grades, this can't count toward class rank, gpa, etc., but I think they should still be given the credit and have the class on their transcripts since they are taking it and will pass it.

I spoke to the high school principal today, what a condescending jerk! (<- I used a stronger word when telling my husband) He just kept reiterating that it is "policy and I'd like to change that this summer" but told me that I wasn't understanding what he was saying. Of course, he couldn't be the problem! He said that only classes taken during 9-12 grades could be given credit toward graduation. This class would fulfill the requirement, but not be on their transcripts.

I feel that if they take the class and pass it, they should get the graduation credit for it and it should be on their transcripts, but it should be omitted from gpa, class rank, etc. All because they aren't in 9th grade yet.

I want to call the administration building and ask the person in charge, but since I work for the district, my husband worries about my job. I'm taking my college classes, so I'm only planning on working here 5 more years or so anyway, so I really don't care what happens to me, I want my kid to have what he has earned.

Where do I go from here? Should I drop it, is it a non-issue and I'm overreacting? Should I ask at the administration? I am so fired up right now, I can barely see straight so I'm trying to cool down before I do anything rash.

C
    C
    I don't think that this is the decision of the high school principal so I don't think that it is worth arguing about it with him. It is likely a district policy and, if you want it changed, it is something I'd address with the school board or the superintendent to see if the policy can be changed (calmly, if possible wink ).

Our school district recently changed policies regarding this exact issue. My dd11 will be getting high school credit for both her math and Spanish classes starting next year and the grades will count toward her high school GPA. They've decided that, once kids hit Algebra I and foreign language I, they are high school classes and they show up on the transcript as such (grades and all).

O
    O
    Since this is a computer class and technology changes on the hour these days, I'd want my DD to repeat the class in high school. That way she'd get current and relevant instruction. Just my two cents. If it was, say, History of Expressionist Art, my opinion would be different. I work in the technology industry and anything I learned last year seems to be obsolete this year.

Originally Posted by 4cliffdwellers
    Should I drop it, is it a non-issue and I'm overreacting?
    Great Idea to vent here - we get it, we really do, but do drop it. It is a non-issue. Really.

Even if you don't give a hoot about your job, you don't want to spend your political capital on something so distant from the main point.

What is the main point?
    1) Getting your son in classrooms where he has a chance to learn.
    2) Getting excused from classes that offer no chance to learn (such as computer literacy at the High School Requirement level in many places.)

If you want it on their transcript, declare (to yourself for now)that he is both a homeschool student and a public school student, and keep your own transcript.

I'd bet a dollar that you have very good reason, to be so angry with the Principal, or the policy, but you haven't communicated it so far in a way I can understand.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    It's hours later and I'm almost calm.

The problem I have is that our district policy doesn't specifically state that the credits will or will not count, therefore, wiggle room. Also, according to PA's new standards the testing they will begin soon that will be required for graduation can be started as early as 6th grade and will count toward graduation. So, the state allows it and the district isn't clearly defined, so I see no reason why they can't simply add it to their transcripts.

The huge problem I have with the principal is that I went in calmly, asking nicely to have it explained. At one point, I simply stated that I did not understand. He started yelling at me that, of course I don't get it, he's stated his point 2 times and I've repeated it back two times and I still don't understand! Yelled at me!

I put in a bid for a position at that school. It will be rescinded before the bid time is up. If he treats parents that way, I can only imagine how he treats his staff and students. It is not easy for me to remain calm but I tried very hard and kept my cool.

I was told by another guidance counselor that the principal/guidance counselor at his school would be the ones to make the decision and according to the parent/student handbook it is the principal who handles these things.

I honestly never want to deal with this man ever again. I know I will not go in alone ever again. I still feel the pull of going to the administration since I don't think I'm asking for much, just acknowledgement on his transcripts. Everything I've read today says that colleges look for a challenging course load and taking a high school class in elementary school would definately qualify and show that it's been a pattern for him.

Everything I've read today says that colleges look for a challenging course load and taking a high school class in elementary school would definately qualify and show that it's been a pattern for him.
    Colleges do look for a challlenging as possible course load but only starting in 9th grade with the possible exception of Math....depending on the school. The other thing to know is that colleges appear to be totally immune to the ...wow and so young...factor. To them a perfect SAT in 8th grade is no more impressive than one in 11th grade. They also want to feel that the kid wasn't. Locked in their room trying to please the Parents everyday aftter school which is their first suspicion when they see young achievers. Talk about unfair!

Anyway glad to hear your calmer and that you won't have a boss like that.

Here we get it that there are lots of kids that need big challenges to thrive. They are just wanting what every other kid gets...a chance to learn at scchool.
    Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I'd advocate as Grinity suggests (letting it go), but with one very important caveat.

Make very sure that any coursework "required" for high school graduation by your state is going to recieve credit on a high school transcript.

That won't be the middle school principal's problem, of course, if it happens in five years that your child has to take "algebra I" again because the state won't allow a high school diploma without the course.

This may or may not matter-- my advice is simply to check into it at the state level before deciding to let it go or not, because the only thing more nightmarish than the current scenario would be to have to REPEAT a course (that the student aced in 6th grade)... as a 12th grader.

Our household rule has become; "If it's a high school course with high school classmates, it goes on THIS student's high school transcript same as all of the other students in that class, thank you very much."

One more helpful tip; when an administrator says something completely bizarre, it is sometimes helpful to ask, "Can you show me that in writing?"

(Phrased as tactfully as possible, of course.)

"Can I get a copy of that for my own records?"

"Is that on the school/district/state/public website?"

"Can you repeat that? I want to make sure that I have that down correctly in my notes."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM