Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Wyldkat
    DS6 has now been tested using 4 different tests, first because we couldn't get over what we were seeing and I needed some validation that it was the "more" I thought he was. Then 2x in 2 different tests to get into schools and just recently as partof his IEP. I completely get what you re saying and the questioning. We got DS WISC back and he had missed Davidson by one point I was so upset, and i wondered why, nothing had changed for him, or about him, and I started wondering if it was more about me, and my validation. Turns out the extended norms came into play, and now he has qualifying scores. He's the exact same kid! But I felt a sigh of relief that now I could apply for him to Davidson.

But if you put Davidson aside, what did we get from the 4 tests, lesson 1) cancel if he shows any sign of illness, we didn't and he bombed it. Although interesting the pattern of strength and weakness was the same across the 3 iqs. The WISC gave us out best most thorough tester report. The first told us little beyond the score and in retrospect I wish I had known that it was a minimal job. The second more professional but limited as he was ill but told us some interesting things - like how he couldn't be bothered on some easy ones and blew her away on really hard ones, pretty typical for him. But this last one, was really insightful and thorough and really helps us to understand how he thinks, what is difficult for him, and also how to work with his issues.

I'm the kind who wants evidence and also the validation, yes you see what you see but at the same time the score wasn't going to undo the fact that my 6 year old has the same level of understanding of atoms, electrons, electron shells, the periodic table, that I had in 10th grade AP chem. And ont get me started about space.

If its not a cost thing, then do it, you can always test later if it's not Davidson level, or just go portfolio. And if the scores are lower then it's either having a bad day or that he is a nice combo of iq and high achiever. Remember regular gifted is 130, Davidison 145, huge gap between the two of people not profound but not served by a normal classroom either.

I think these feelings are all part of the uncertainty of parenting our kids - as with all things, the more rare, the more unique the needs and feeling undone or at sea is kind of par for the course.

DeHe

I
    I
    Isn't it about meeting him where he is at?

The number is just a number. Sure, he may qualify for more resources with a higher score, but the number doesn't mean *anything*. Someone will assign a general score to your child, but it changes nothing about him.

Just "follow the child" and pay attention to ensure that he is being challenged, yet not feeling stressed or pressured by the work. He is showing you what he is ready for. Give it to him. And that is all. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM