Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    I
    She's in 1st but has been doing subject acceleration in reading and math with 2nd grade. My DD's RIT and percentile went down from winter to spring while her math went up significantly. Her teacher and I think the reading score wasn't a valid reflection of what's going on with her reading based on other measures.

Have you seen growth in your DD's reading from winter to spring based on other measures or do they support the MAP results? Congrats on the subject acceleration without having to ask!!

F
    F
    inky.. the RIT also went down winter to spring. Her level of reading hasn't changed. One advantage(I think) is she is in a multi-grade 1/2 classroom. She is reading on a mid third grade level. The girls in leveled reading group are all in second grade. Around mid march or so she kept saying she didn't like the books they were reading. The older girls only wanted to read one chapter a night so the pace was very slow for dd. The math acceleration started after spring break when they moved dd into the second grade math class (math is the only subject they teach by grade separately). My thought on that was finally no more domino dot counting lol.
    My son will be math accelerated starting in kinder. He will be in first grade math ... I see that he will probably end up in grade 2 math by spring break as well....ughh MORE domino dot counting lol

F
    F
    ok report card came today and here is what her teacher said...

"Frannie continues to read above grade level with fluency and comprehension. She is able to figure out new words and their meanings. During the last trimester, I am worried that Fran is reading very fast and thinking less about hat she is reading. Reading is never a race, and isnt about reading harder books at higher levels. Reading is about developing thinking, learning & understanding new information..... "

So, we have had the "talk" about being the first one done.. this goes for eating, test taking, homework etc..

Any thoughts?

I
    I
    The teacher's comments are all well and good but she seems to discount the need to "feed the beast." One chapter a night sounds painfully slow for my daughters who want to inhale their books. This is why I like the gifted reader's Bill of Rights which mentions the right to read at a pace and level appropriate to readiness without regard to grade placement. That seems like an important part of fostering a love of reading.
    http://www.bertiekingore.com/readers_bill_of_rights.pdf

R
    R
    I am a parent of a 99 percentile reader. These Map scores do flucuate a lot and I have read that one of the problems with these tests is that children sometimes learn in chunks and in no particular pattern. These tests arbitrarily assign difficulty to their questions. I have never been given enough information from the school about these tests and my child tells me that that at the top of the test, she receives the same questions year after year. Does any one know what the top score is. My child received a 265 this year after staying at the 235 to 240 level for 2 years. I was never sucessful at getting proper reading instruction through the school. I buy lots of books and visit the library regularly.

Hi, readers. MAP percentile scores are based on the subject's grade and time of year that the test is given. That is, there is a raw score (the 265, 235, 240 etc., called a "RIT score"), which is turned into a percentile score based on grade level/time of test. This makes sense, because reading at a top 2nd grade level doesn't say much for a 5th grader.

Here's a very abbreviated score chart to show you what I mean:
    http://www.bismarck.k12.nd.us/uploads/resources/1475/2008-hiloav.pdf

Here's the full set of charts:
    http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...File/MAP/Norms2008.pdf?sessionid=0f88735

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    R
    R
    Hello lucouhu
    I am aware of the raw rit scores and percentiles for the different grades. My child has always tested at 99+ percentile. The Rit score does fluctuate a great deal especially for gifted children. I was trying to get across that my experience is that these tests are not always that accurate and one child can go up or down by 10-15 points every 3 months or so. The company NWEA admits that they are not sure of the accuracy after the 245 RIT and does not say what the ceiling RIT score is for this test. I would not be too concerced if my 1st grader did poorly on 1 or 2 of these tests as long as they are progressing year after year. Lastly parents need to provide appropriate reading material for their gifted children because I have found that schools will not.

W
    WWW Offline
    W
    Hi, I know you posted this ages ago, but we are having the same problem. Our son did nursery, Reception and Year 1 in the UK, and we put him into first grade when we moved back here last summer (because age-wise that's where he fit in). His MAPS scores were fine at in the fall, but went way down this spring. I'm shocked. I know he's bored in class and the work is not at all challenging, but I didn't see this coming.

S
    S
    My daughter is in 6th grade and her reading Map score is 245. According to the report I got from school this score is in the 98%. But I just saw a chart for 2008 and even at the end of the year that score should be in the 99%. Could someone please tell me which % this score actually belong to. Until now her reading score has been in the 99%. But in 6th grade for the first test she had a 242 and that too was in the 98%.
    Thanks.

The norms have changed; there is an updated 2011 chart you should use. See link below, approx. p. 57. The 98th percentile appears to be the correct one.
    2011 NWEA norms

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader