Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, things have been going sooo well lately. We finally seem to have found the right med combo for DS8 and he hasn't had a tantrum in class, or run out of the room in a month! It took some time after that to convince him to start doing his ("booooring") worksheets, but we've made progress there as well.

We initiated the IEP process a while back, and from what I can get out of DS, he met with the school psychologist, but just chatted. We've got our appointment with the neuropsych in just a couple of weeks (HOORAAAY), and sometime before the end of the school year we should have a big old pow-wow with his school about next year. I am going to try to advocate for at least differentiation in the classroom, if not going up to the next grade for language arts (the school has tested him at >6th grade level, and at home his books are around 1000-1200 lexile).

The hubby and I are also working hard on fixing up our house so we can get it on the market next spring and move to an area with a better (for DS) school district.

Just wanted to share the good news, you guys were so supportive and helpful when I was freaking out!

~amy
    U
    U
    That's great! Can I ask, just out of curiosity, what the med combo is?

That's great, glad to hear its going well.

We also did the sell the house for better options for DS. It felt crazy, people thought we were crazy because we lived in a "great" district but wrong for DS. We are SOOOO much happier, it really made a difference!

Good luck - and key to sale is pricing it right, even of its less than you want, if priced right they move quickly even in this market!

DeHe

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    YAY! Good luck with the skip or differentiation, if that doesn't go a long way, then good luck with the house.

G
    G
    Great news! Here's to more positive updates in the future.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    That's great! Can I ask, just out of curiosity, what the med combo is?

He's currently on approx 0.375mg of Risperidone (.25mg pills, 1 and a half of them) and 1mg of Tenex in the morning, and then .25mg of Risperidone in the evening.

~amy
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, apparently the testing is fully underway! Found out after school that DS met with who I assume is the diagnostician for the school district. After some prodding, it appears she did the first bit of one of the tests they use (I cannot remember the names, and the paper isn't in front of me) - DS mentioned he was asked to remember things, and it was like a game (apparently he earned a dollar at the end? lol) He liked the lady and enjoyed his time with her, I told him he might be meeting with her again (it sounded like he only spend 30mins or so with her, so if she is doing the testing, I'm assuming it'll take 3-4 of these sessions.) I'm glad he seemed like he had a good time with it!

ETA: The tests they listed on the IEP paper were: K-ABC, S-B, WJIII, and K-TEA. I'd love it if they were doing the S-B, but the K-ABC is more likely!

Last edited by epoh; 04/13/12 06:38 PM.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs