Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #127142 04/09/12 02:56 PM
    M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My daughter's school district uses the NWEA MAP tests 3x/year. My daughter is in 6th grade currently and her latest score was 232. Respectable enough for 6th grade, but the very first time she took the test in 2nd grade she scored 228. There's been scatter in the interim years between 219-239.

I've been following the pattern of her scores over the years and suspected ever so slight progress, but now that I look back at all the scores, there's really not been any considerable progress at all.

I'm not sure what to do, if I should talk to her teacher about it or what. The school district does not have a GT program and actually, my daughter is considered 2E. I would have expected much more growth than that for sure.

What is eating at me right now is that we have worked so hard over the years to get her some help in the areas that she has clearly had difficulty in (mostly to do with executive function, attention, but she also has a documented expressive language disorder but not by the school). I feel like we've neglected the other part of her and have failed her in doing so. frown What do we do now? I wish someone could just tell me what we need to do because I'm so tired of trying to figure it all out myself and reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by Mombot; 04/09/12 03:04 PM.
    Mombot #127145 04/09/12 03:29 PM
    Hi Mombot,
    Does the teacher send any information with the MAP scores? For example, what the expected progress should be, etc.? If I were you, I would first meet with the teacher and ask her to discuss her thoughts on why your daughter doesn't appear to be making any progress, and hasn't since 2nd grade. I cannot address the 2E issues, because I'm not familiar with 2E issues, but has your DD had any issues with taking tests before? Do you see this as a possible 2E issue? Without the 2E, I would see this as a failure on the school's part to introduce your DD to new material. There is a link here, showing what you can expect your child to know at different levels of MAP: http://www.powayusd.com/projects/edtechcentral/lladder/Default.asp

There is an expected progression with MAPs each year, and if your DD's teacher doesn't know what that is, I suggest you contact the school's principal or the district curriculum coordinator.

ETA: The norms are here, appendix C, but still ask the school to explain their thoughts on why your DD isn't meeting these and what can be done: http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA_2011_RIT_Scale_Norms.pdf

Edited again to say that Appendix B has the achievement tables. Was the score in Reading or Math?

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/09/12 03:33 PM.
    Mombot #127146 04/09/12 03:53 PM
    Originally Posted by Mombot
    What is eating at me right now is that we have worked so hard over the years to get her some help in the areas that she has clearly had difficulty in (mostly to do with executive function, attention, but she also has a documented expressive language disorder but not by the school). I feel like we've neglected the other part of her and have failed her in doing so.
    This is always going to be an issue - there are only so many hours in a day. There is only so much time and money for any family to invest in any one family member. What is fair? What is reasonable?

St pauli girl's suggest to start with the teacher is a good one! It's possible that your daughter has learned quite a bit, but can't show what she knows due to the 2 E issues.

Has the school done IQ and achievement testing? What actual other diagnosises have been found? Do they seem 'right' to you? Keep posting here and we'll do the best we can, but the most efficient way to proceed is to hire a psychologist that specializes in psychoeducational evaluation. Look for one who
    a) is familiar with Gifted Kids
    b) is familiar with 2E kids
    c) is willing to guide you how to best develop your DD's strengths, including talking to the school if necessary.

Good Luck! Remember that the hard work you have done must have worked pretty well for you to have enough slack to be worried about what you haven't done, right? Those gains are real and important. Now it's time to take the next step!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mombot #127147 04/09/12 03:55 PM
    M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Oh I'm sorry, it was in reading. They haven't done math yet. She does need extra time to complete tests - that could be part of it as she finished it along with the other kids when she usually takes much longer, now that I think about it. But, the overall pattern has been one of very little growth from 2nd to 6th grade if you look at the lowest score of 219 and compare it to the highest score of 239.

I do think I need to talk to the teacher, but I've brought so many concerns to them over the years about what she needs that now I feel like I am just badgering them! Need to get my nerve up.

Thank you for the links - I'll look at them after this.

Mombot #127148 04/09/12 04:08 PM
    M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you, Grinity!

She has been evaluated, but not by anyone who specializes or is very familiar with 2E profiles and in the last eval that is glaringly obvious, but when you put all the reports together from the various professionals, you can see what she's like overall. Her full scale IQ puts her in the moderately gifted range, but this last cognitive eval does not indicate what the GAI is/could be. The school has only done testing on writing which showed high scores on paper (but if you take the fact that it took her nearly 9 hours over several sessions to complete one test, that should have been a red flag right there).

I'll have to gather my thoughts more so I can sound relatively coherent when I talk to the teacher.

Mombot #127149 04/09/12 04:17 PM
    A
    A
    232 in Reading is at the 68th percentile for spring testing for the 11th grade. I suspect she is not making progress because she is not getting instuction at a senior high level or above.

aculady #127150 04/09/12 04:27 PM
    Originally Posted by aculady
    232 in Reading is at the 68th percentile for spring testing for the 11th grade. I suspect she is not making progress because she is not getting instuction at a senior high level or above.

But it's 86th percentile for 6th grade, and I would hope schools have some plans for teaching kids at that level. The school should still give some response for what sort of progress they expect for students.

Mombot #127151 04/09/12 04:37 PM
    Originally Posted by Mombot
    She has been evaluated, but not by anyone who specializes or is very familiar with 2E profiles and in the last eval that is glaringly obvious, but when you put all the reports together from the various professionals, you can see what she's like overall. Her full scale IQ puts her in the moderately gifted range, but this last cognitive eval does not indicate what the GAI is/could be. The school has only done testing on writing which showed high scores on paper (but if you take the fact that it took her nearly 9 hours over several sessions to complete one test, that should have been a red flag right there).

It could very well be that your DD it's a problem with the tests, if she usually needs more time. But it's definitely worth investigating. Besides the test results that are remaining stagnant, do you feel that your DD is learning new material each year? How has she been doing in school and how does she like it?

Mombot #127152 04/09/12 05:25 PM
    P
    P
    I think MAP "typical" growth is around 6 or 7 points a year - it should say on her NWEA progress report that the school should send home. If not, they can easily print it out and give it to you if you ask. I think even with just typical growth, she should be further along unless she is not taught anything at her level. I would be concerned if she was not making steady growth in each year. If she does not test well, that may explain it too, but MAPs are not timed so she should be allowed all the time she needs. You might also want to see how she did in the subtests of the reading portion to see if you can pinpoint any issues.

Mombot #127184 04/10/12 07:03 AM
    M
    M
    My DS 3rd grade is taking NWEAs this week. He has been taking them 3 times a year too. I think 3 times a year is a lot of testing. He has had nice steady increases each test especially in math. He did have a 3 pt drop in Language on the winter test. I am not worried at all but it is the first time he was out of the 99% bracket. This was also reflected on the EXPLORE test. We are talking with him on keeping a journal. He kind of thinks its fun, he use to write in one pretty regularly. Not sure what else to do.

I have come to the conclusion, to keep up with him it is going to have to be done at home after school and weekends. I would expect a slow down unless you are really working on it. But what do I know...

I do understand your feelings of facing it all by yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM