Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 377 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    J
    Wow. Its too bad some parents are like this. I think I would have handled it the same way with a 7 yr old. However, my daughter dances competitively and experienced something similar at a dance convention when she was 9. She learned choreography and performed a jazz dance combination with over 100 other dancers in her age group and won 1st prize and a $300.00 scholarship. A parent of a friend later grabbed her arm in class while she was stretching out, told her that she knew she did not attend every class that weekend and would tell the judges in an attempt to get her disqualified. However, it was not required to attend every class to audition and win the scholarship... So she did not get anywhere with that.

Can you believe a parent actually got physical with my daughter over this??? I did explain in detail to my dd that the other parent's actions were wrong, why they were wrong, and what I felt an appropriate response and way of handling a situation such as this would be. I did not confront the other parent- but I did report her actions to the competition and studio owner. It seems I did not have to do this because others who were watching were shocked and had already reported the incident.

It is amazing how low some parents can sink regarding kid's activities....

I always remind my dd now in dance that she should not be intimidated by this type of stuff. Just as there is always someone better than you- you are always going to be better than someone else. The only way to eliminate unreasonable jealousy from these type of individuals is by purposely doing worse. However the problem would still exists... because you would still be better than someone out there... so keep doing your best because you can't change how people act.

Moral of story- do your best, be kind to others, and let the chips fall where they may..

W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Wow... That's amazing and not in a good way at all.

I think if Wolf were nine I would have been more forthcoming with him. He didn't witness any of it other than that woman's comments. He still has that innocence, the safe sincere belief that adults' have got it together. With how smart he is I know it won't last long.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM