Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 413 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I'm not sure I have any great supports beyond what you've written, but I do think that the best evidence is the one line you added "other suburban districs allow this."
    In our district, freshmen can take one of four choices: World Geography, Honors World History, AP World History or AP Human Geography.When my older children were in HS, the AP choices weren't allowed. However, I am 100% certain that at least my one dd could have easily handled an AP history in 9th grade (the other doesn't really enjoy history). The one who does went on to get 5s in APUSH, AP Euro, AP Comp. Pol and AP Gov. I am thrilled that my younger kids can take AP in 9th. Your dd will be competing with kids all over the country who CAN take these AP courses starting freshman year. Now, I probably sound like some kind of tiger mom, and I'm not - really. However, so much of what is done around different school districts seems to be simply to make it easier for them; it's not backed up by any proof (let me tell you how crazy I think it is that some schools won't let kids take Calc BC without a year of AB for prep - so glad that is not the case here). And as far as geography being important, I completely agree, but I don't necessarily think that you must take geography in 9th grade to achieve a good understanding of it. My dds' gifted program in middle school covered geography extensively, and through the other AP history courses, they covered much more. Personally, I think that the generalizations about US citizens not valuing geography (or math, or science) often don't apply to gifted kids.

I do agree that your letter is long (haha, this is definitely the pot calling the kettle black, since I'm totally guilty of this!), but I understand your frustration. I've often found that going higher up will help me find someone who sees the bigger picture. The gifted coordinator, Director of Curriculum, etc.. at the district, will often agree with me, and then the principal at the school is kind of stuck implementing it. To whom did you send this letter? Did they give you reasons in denying it or just say no?

Good luck smile

J
    JLC01 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Momtofour-
    “To whom did you send this letter? Did they give you reasons in denying it or just say no?”
    - I sent the letter to the Asst. Superintendent. I had extensively long conversation with the Asst Principle in which he refuted every point I made (although I believe not very effectively or logically). That is why my letter is so long- I needed to present my arguments and counter-arguments in a logical manner. I think I did make my points because they offered a simply refusal and did not attempt to counter any of my arguments. Their refusal is based on “we do what we believe is best for all children”.

J
    JLC01 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    jacksmom-

My dd is in 8the grade and freshman schedules will be finalized at the end of April.

J
    JLC01 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    jacksmom- I agree. I am concerned about work load later and I am trying to get some balance. I think taking one AP class as a freshman would be a good intro to the work load and also result in a lighter load later.

And yes, I agree that pushing too much can backfire if they target her. However, I think that most teachers like her so I think that she can overcome any initial resentment....

J
    JLC01 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    momtofour- thanks for the advice on what stands out the most to you. I will concentrate on reviewing what other schools offer because I think our kids are getting short-changed. We live in an area that was previously rural- but is now more suburban. My dd's class is the first to have a considerable number of gifted kids. It seems that the high school has not yet caught up with the demographics and is not serving this population of the school very well.
    Of note is that I had to advocate for changes to the math program because other districts offered Algebra in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade to more highly gifted students. I started advocating for this when she was in 2nd grade and we got it just in time for her to take advantage of it. She is now taking geometry in 8th grade and has absolutely no difficulty mastering the subject matter at this age. When I first requested the district offer this, I was told that they did not offer it because basically the kids in our district were not as capable in math/ science as those in other districts. This idea was proved false once they offered the courses and the now have 3 geometry classes offered to 8th graders out of a graduating class of approx. 850 kids.

J
    JLC01 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yeah- I do not think the school district is very motivated towards excellence... they could care less if they retain gifted students. I have the option of sending her to another school- but transportation might be difficult.

We live in the midwest and I am not that familiar with Davidson GIfted Program. Could you please explain what "DYS' is?

Thx

C
    C
    Originally Posted by JLC01
    We live in the midwest and I am not that familiar with Davidson GIfted Program. Could you please explain what "DYS' is?

Thx
    DYS is Davidson Young Scholars. You can find info on the program here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/ and qualification criteria here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM