Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi All,
    Once again I'm here seeking recommendations. smile

My 8 (almost 9) year old really wants to learn chemistry. I'd like something a bit "more" than simple experiments I can find online.

J
    J
    We bought chem1000 from Edmund Scientifics and have been very happy with it. It is not simple experiments. They have more advanced ones too. We supplement it by reading about the periodic table.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks jack'smom I will check that out. smile

If you can find a copy, I've heard that Elementeo Chemistry Card Game is very fun to play.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    http://www.hometrainingtools.com/chemistry-equipment-kit/p/CE-KIT01/

http://www.mrdisposable.com/product/LC5

This might make any kits you buy more fun. Santa brought them for Christmas. We're going to use Supercharged Science, just taking a financial hiatus. Just for now they're making fun pretend play. Sadly the splash goggles I bought from Amazon tend to fog. I still make him wear them for the same reason I make him wear protective bike gear- I want it to be a habit when he gets older and starts doing tricks. Sk8 or Die !

Ps. The one fizzy KIT we've bought so far I hid the box and bagged & labeled the ingredients so it looked more like science and less commercialized and magicky.

A
    A
    My son loved this chemistry course when he was that age.

Aculady -- how old would you go with the Principals of Alchemy? DD12 would like to start using her chemistry set, but seems to need a little direction.

Last edited by herenow; 03/14/12 08:01 PM.
    A
    A
    It should be great for a 12 year old. The text is written at about a 7th to 8th grade level.

This is from the syllabus:

This is a general foundation course, teaching the basics of Chemistry. Principles of Alchemy covers more than half the material taught in a full year university-level Freshman Chemistry BUT it is taught in such a way that an average 13 year old could learn from it and enjoy it. That's because it is specifically designed as a "low-math" course to teach as much Chemistry as possible without resorting to logarithms, algebra or complex equations. No advanced math skills are expected, so it's suitable for everyone. Principles of Alchemy was developed to meet the needs and curiosity of those who do not want (and perhaps are frightened by) advanced math. However, this is NOT a watered down version of Science. Indeed, some topics are from second year (Sophomore level) university Chemistry!

If we were anywhere but on a gifted board, I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting it for an 8-9 year old...but that's the age when my son fell in love with it.

J
    J
    I did The Young Scientists Club with my older boy when he was 7 and 8 years old. They were simple experiments they would mail you once a month- we made a paper mache volcano that blew up; we made crystals with suger; magnets. Then we did some of these Edmund Scientifics chemistry experiments.
    He did just now an online Germ Course through Northwestern GLL, which was fun, but I think we are just too busy for online courses. We'll get back to chemistry now!
    However, one thing I've noticed is that he is really, really excited about science. He knows ALOT about science, and he is obsessed if we go to a science museum. He tells people he wants to be a doctor (like me!), and I've gotten compliments from parents at his school how much science he knows.
    So I figure at least THAT has been successful, at stimulating his interest in science.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    We get the Magic School Bus kits once a month but my daughter goes through those experiments in a matter of minutes!

I will check out those other options. The Elementeo game is on our wish list for sure!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. smile

ETA: Those disposable lab coats are adorable. Dd would LOVE one of those.

Last edited by Terrilth; 03/24/12 05:16 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM