Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    S
    S
    When my then dd5 read junie b jones I just told her that it was okay to read someone else saying the words but it was not okay for her to say them. Her kindergarten teacher told me she was reading them so much over and over that she was starting to take on junie's personality. Lol!
    I personally like them to know the words so they are not over sensitive to others who use them. I just like them to know that it is not classy to use those words and I tell my kids that if other parents hear them say bad words they may not let their children play with us. They know I am serious because I don't let my kids play with kids with bad mouthes. Anyway, I think that if you teach him well, he shouldn't say the word. Dd5/6 also read and re-read diary of a wimpy kid and I was sooo not okay with that. I quickly learned she won't enact it.

U
    U
    If there's any way to avoid Diary of a Wimpy Kid for these little guys, I'd do so. DD 8 read them all recently (her whole class is obsessed) and though they are funny, I'm glad she didn't read them in K.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Stephi1307
    For example my son still thinks "stupid" is a "bad word" because he is not allowed to say it in prek so even some topics in Ramona or diary of a wimpy kid seem a little old to me. Do you just read with them and talk about it or should I wait 6 months or a year and then a little older books will be fine? Maybe I shouldn't worry about it being too old?

My younger DS reads whatever is available in the house, which includes DOWK thanks to his brother. He says he skips over the rude words... and if he is reading aloud he leaves a gap, and truly won't say them. I think he'll be okay.

DeeDee

T
    T
    Right now she likes the Wolves of the Beyond series. Last year she liked the Magic Treehouse. She has liked Fairy Realm, Animal Ark, and many others. She is an avid reader and also reads non fiction in her interest areas.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I started this thread when dd was in first grade lol.. now my ds is in first! He LOVES George Brown Class Clown! He will also read any non fiction book you put in front of him. He is about a fll grade level ahead of where dd was at this point in his reading.

E
    E
    I'm so glad someone responded to this post today and bumped it up! I'm just loving these book posts! I've now got so many new titles to explore!

Z
    Z
    Fun, seeing how the school book fair opened today.

DS~7's current reading list:
    Another Whole Nother Story (active)
    Perfectly Perilous Math (active)
    Club Penguin - The Inventor's Apprentice (in queue)
    Vordak the Incomprehensible: How to Grow Up and Rule the World (in queue)
    NERDS 2 (in queue)
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (partway through, set aside)
    Melvin Beederman Superhero (partway through, set aside)
    Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (partway, set aside)
    Magic Tree House #14 (recently finished)
    The 39 Clues, Book Two (partway, set aside)
    The 39 Clues, Book One (recently finished)

S
    S
    My dd6's first grade teacher is fabulous at picking titles.

She recently read: My Father's Dragon, Helen Keller, Pee Wee's Tale, House at Pooh Corner

She just finished: "The Trumpet of the Swan"
    and now she's reading: "The Five Children and It"

When first grade started, I knew my dd could read at a high level, but she just really didn't want to. But her teacher is picking such wonderful books that she comes home every day and tells me what happened in the chapters she's read!

Last edited by syoblrig; 12/06/12 08:17 PM.
    Originally Posted by Stephi1307
    For example my son still thinks "stupid" is a "bad word" because he is not allowed to say it in prek

This made me laugh..when my oldest DD was 6 she tattled on another student because the other student had said the "s-word" at recess. To DD "stupid" was the "s-word" because we didn't like our daughters using that word. When she heard that word being used she felt compelled to tell the teacher. If I remember correctly the other student had to sit out at recess or something and when DD got home and told me what happened I had to call the teacher to explain.

Right now DD7 (1st grade)is reading some Junie B, some Goosebumps, and some Puppy Place. She hasn't really found her reading niche just yet, but only wants chapter books now, nothing else.

C
    C
    Mine started out the year with Ivy and Bean and Dumb Kitty, progressed onto Magic Tree House, and finished her 1st grade year reading Wimpy Kid books. Now that she's in 2nd grade, she's really into the Dork Diary books.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM