Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I am curious what books your kids are reading. Frannie really into Judy Moody. She has completed a book every few days. I am thinking her summer reading will include the little house series and maybe Nancy Drew.

Well, my DS7 is in 2nd, but since he's 7 I thought I'd chime in. Right now he is determined to read the entire original Hardy Boys mysteries (120+ books?) and is on the second book, after having read the new-fangled Hardy Boys series. Prior to that he read the entire How to Train Your Dragon Series, the entire Time Warp Trio series, and the entire Dragon Slayer's Academy series. OCD that he is, he loves series! He used to only read books that came in a series and had exactly ten chapters, but we've thankfully moved on from that! smile

She thought she could, so she did.
    A
    A
    Geronimo Stilton, Thea Stilton and any graphic novel that she can get her hands on. She always chooses books way way way under her reading level. I think that it's the content that appeals to her rather than complexity of language. Thanks goodness she's over the Fairy Books!!!!!!

A.

Last edited by annaliisa; 04/29/11 05:12 PM.
    C
    C
    My 1st grader is into anything sciencey at the moment so he is rereading all the Magic School Bus books. Beyond that rereading Captain Underpants, Frankie Pickle, Magic Pickle, Secrets of Droon seem to top the list.

My Kindergartener is into a bit more variety and loves series - She has read all the Ivy and Bean books, I believe all Judy Moody, most Dear Dumb Diary, and most Disney Fairies. She is currently reading the Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew books but has asked about the bigger Nancy Drew books.

I think I'm going to see if she wants to read the Bobbsey Twins books as we have a ton of them before we get into Nancy Drew. She is enjoying the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books as well. There are a few easier series she reads (a few books a night if she has them) Arthur, Horrible Harry, Rainbow Magic.

Oh I forgot - she read and loved the Ramona Quimby books so I'd recommend trying those smile

Last edited by CourtneyB; 04/30/11 12:04 AM.
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Frannie is reading horrible harry n her guided reading group.... she absolutely HATES them. Yesterday she was in tears when it was homework time frown

J
    J
    My then first grader liked Magic Treehouse. It gave him alot of confidence since the writing style was repetitious. He moved now to the Spider Kane Mysteries, FYI.
    As a child, I used to read a magazine called Cricket, which is still around. It had nice stories and interesting articles.
    It seems like there are lots and lots of series books around. Just go to Borders and snoop around.

K
    K
    American Girl books, Spiderwick Chronicles, and plenty of comics, graphic novels. She's been quoting Calvin and Hobbes. The other day I asked her to come practice violin and she told me it was against her religious principals. crazy

She started Harry Potter with her dad and now she's sneaking ahead in that.

Originally Posted by kimck
    The other day I asked her to come practice violin and she told me it was against her religious principals. crazy

LOL!! Love it. smile

DS7 just read A Wrinkle in Time, and now he's on to the next book in the series, A Wind in the Door.

W
    W
    DD will read a new Magic Tree house. She reads some Baily Kids and A-Z mysteries. Though she like non-fiction and gets these books about math, but they are descriptive, not workbooks. They discuss math concepts. And non-fiction about all kinds of other things. Had Judy Blume book that got left in Egypt. I had to pay the library for that. But it seemed to be well liked.

Hadn't started but were looking into Ronald Dahl.

Ren

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Hadn't started but were looking into Ronald Dahl.

DD6 loved "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Roald Dahl. I haven't seen her gobble up a book like that in awhile (she woke up at 5am to finish it). We followed that up with "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" which was also well received.

She raced through all 5 books in the Wimpy Kid series right around spring break. She loves a good series. It's the collector in her.

She also really liked "The Familiars" by Adam Jay Epstein (a recommendation I got from someone on this site).

I find if I let dd choose books herself, she will always select down from her reading levels (Ivy and Bean, Thea Stilton, graphic novels about various Super Heroes). While I don't mind some of that in terms of reading for pleasure, I do sometimes nudge her to try books I've selected (especially ones I've read about on this site). It's a fine line - because I want her to have some independence to choose what she reads - but I also want her to keep herself challenged.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM