Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JuliaS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS1 is In 2nd grade and I've long suspected he is GT. He attends public school,very small, only one classier grade generally, 200 kids preK-8. We have excellent private schools near us but our salary puts us out of reach of scholarships and the cost of tuition. I'm trying to get a FT job to afford what looks tobe our most likely necessity, changing schools.

Ds's class generally lets him read at his own level. He's currently at about a 5.3-5.5. His teacher just asked him to read easier books in class while they work on character development. She assessed him last fall at a3.1, but I understand most teachers don't have the time or resources to test beyond grade level. My big issue is math. He is bringing home papers for addition tables, yet he understands multiplication and fractions. Math is a group activity at school so little possibility for him to move at his own pace unless we supplement at home. I have concerns about that as well!

I was GT as a kid back in the day when they pulled us out for GT programs. By 3rd grade I had finished the k-6 math program so they got me a book from the middle school. Back then the schools cared about GT kids. Now it's all about teaching to the lowest common denominator. We have a great school but they are clipping his wings.

My brother (also GT with two GT sons) is a fifth grade teacher in CO and recommends we pay to have DS privately assessed. I have a list of names from a CT GT advocacy group but I don't know where to start to find a good assessor.

Anyone know of a good assessor? Should I try to work with UConn or Yale instead of a psyD? I could also take him to Ny, Boston or D.C. but that would be harder.

Advice please?

A
    A
    Aimee Yermish , who is active here on the forum and highly recommended, is in Stow, Mass. Others may have recommendations closer to home.

J
    J
    I have a friend who has used Susan Barry in Glastonbury and loved her.

I am having the same issues you are having with my first grade gifted daughter. The public schools just arent differentiating, especially in math. We have applied to a couple of private schools in CT but I am not even sure they will meet her needs. Good luck!

J
    JuliaS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for the tip - I'm thinking about Barry and also about Yale. I checked with UConn and they are research only, no assessments. Also was recommended Johns Hopkins, which I could do (we have family in the area) but it seems a little excessive.

As for private schools, not sure where you are, Jellesjo, but have you looked at Talcott Mtn Academy? I grew up nearby and attended some of their weekends as a kid, and now have friends with kids there. If we could swing $34k/year for our two boys, we'd do it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent