Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 365 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    bzylzy #122679 02/10/12 08:42 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    When my DD was that age she started doing the jigsaw puzzles "upside down" after she did them a few times with the picture and could do it quickly...she seemed to think doing it by shape only and no picture was really entertaining.

That reminds me that in my grandfather's house, all the jigsaw puzzles were numbered on the back.

HappyChef #122682 02/10/12 09:04 AM
    B
    B
    Sounds like someone in your grandfather's house was clever/funny/on-the-ball!

HappyChef #122683 02/10/12 09:04 AM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    So do your kids just go through toys fast? Learn what they can from them and move on? Since my DD has such a crazy long attention span, I guess I sort of expected her to enjoy a toy for weeks or months rather than a day or so. She has a few things she has played with for a month or longer, but maybe she no longer finds them beneficial to her and moves on. Lol. She's not happy unless she's absorbing knowledge. Maybe I just need to change my expectations of her enjoying toys long enough to get our money's worth. Ha!

Mary
    HappyChef #122685 02/10/12 09:23 AM
    B
    B
    The things I mentioned were the things I remember keeping her attention over the longest period of time and not used and tossed aside, there were plenty of those.

bzylzy #122686 02/10/12 09:33 AM
    H
    H
    When my DD was that age she started doing the jigsaw puzzles "upside down" after she did them a few times with the picture and could do it quickly...she seemed to think doing it by shape only and no picture was really entertaining. That gets a bit more life expectancy out of puzzles.

DS did that the other day, and I thought that was beyond "normal."

HappyChef #122699 02/10/12 11:10 AM
    B
    B
    LOL I prefer the word "typical". How old is your DS? He probably just has really good visual processing (or whatever) skills, maybe a visual-spacial person. It's nice that he's inventive!

HappyChef #122719 02/10/12 12:33 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by HappyChef
    So do your kids just go through toys fast? Learn what they can from them and move on? Since my DD has such a crazy long attention span, I guess I sort of expected her to enjoy a toy for weeks or months rather than a day or so. She has a few things she has played with for a month or longer, but maybe she no longer finds them beneficial to her and moves on. Lol. She's not happy unless she's absorbing knowledge. Maybe I just need to change my expectations of her enjoying toys long enough to get our money's worth. Ha!

DS enjoyed playing with everything but toys (with the exception of Lego!) He was so careful we let him play with all sorts of things (supervised of course). Much cheaper when they enjoy common household items smile

bzylzy #122729 02/10/12 02:09 PM
    H
    H
    LOL I prefer the word "typical". How old is your DS? He probably just has really good visual processing (or whatever) skills, maybe a visual-spacial person. It's nice that he's inventive!

I like your word choice.

DS is 3. He likes to think outside the box. I know it's good in the long run, but it's a challenge to parent him.

HappyChef #122732 02/10/12 03:05 PM
    B
    B
    To HelloBaby,
    It is really hard to parent outside the box kids. Wait until he goes to school...

Just think of him as cool even if other people look at him funny sometimes. This can be more easily said than done, I know what I'm talking about. But your relationship with your child is more important than anything else. Like today, I'm so glad it's Friday (no school for two days!) and my DD and I could hang out in the LR with our pets this afternoon and watch silly Disney shows (from Netflix) and look forward to sleeping in tomorrow. She still has her activities and playmates and all of her "brain stuff" but this is important too.

Have a great weekend!

HappyChef #122784 02/11/12 10:35 AM
    S
    S
    My daughter went through toys really fast at that age too. The trick I figured out is that she would come back around to many of them in a few weeks or months if they disappeared for a while (all except for puzzles -- once she'd mastered a puzzle it lost all interest for her). So I would rotate certain toys in and out of her room as her interest in them waxed and waned. She would play with them differently each new rotation and get new things out of them because she had advanced developmentally since the last time. I should clarify too that we favor classic, open-ended-play kinds of toys here, like LEGO, dolls, blocks, costumes, animals, pretend-play props, etc. Those are the kinds that have longer shelf life, even if it's iterative rather than continuous. That was a tiring age! But it was also a fun age because my daughter was changing so quickly into an interesting little person.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM