Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    montana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello everyone -

I'm looking for a therapist who really 'gets' gifted kids and their issues. I think my son's getting increasingly stressed out by his social situation - the whole difference thing as he approaches junior high - and also has some trouble generalizing, personalizing, and catastrophizing what he sees around him. He can get in cycles of stress that seem to take those two problems and make them a vicious circle. I'd like to find someone who can help him feel like a perfectly normal human being, give him support in being who he is, and gently help him think of ways his own thinking might be making his experience worse. It's really hard to ask around for therapists in the parent community when the gifted 'thing' is a big part of the situation, and googling isn't getting me anywhere. We don't need a tester/assessor at the moment... just a good shrink of some sort.

thanks for any help or recommendations you can give! (and, in hopes of being useful too, here's a helpful blog post by Aimee Yermish on how to pick a therapist for a gifted person : http://davincilearning.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/clues-on-finding-a-therapist-for-a-gifted-client/ )

S
    S
    I don't have any suggestions, but I too am in the new haven area. Just wanted to say hi. I have two girls nine and six.

L
    lmp Offline
    L
    Hey! CT! Well, sorry that I've nothing to add either, but wave from CT.

Last edited by lmp; 02/02/12 12:02 PM.
    B
    B
    I wonder if the folks at NAEG in Storrs could recommend somebody.

M
    montana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thanks for the thoughts! I'm really coming up with nothing here...it's quite frustrating to interview people who just dodge every angle I can come up with to assess their attitudes toward giftedness and the problems that come along with it. I really do want a knowledgeable, trustable person, and I don't understand why that's so hard to find here, of all places. So I'll have to start calling places and begging for help, I guess. I didn't know of the academic skills clinic, kcab, so thank you! Hi, sydness - nice to 'meet' you! I've got a six-year-old, too - and a three, but boys.

P
    P
    Our school district has agreed to pay for a neuropsych eval as well as a consult with a child psych to determine the best way to address DD7's anxiety. I am looking for input on the following people:

Neuropsychs:
    Mary Prevey
    Gary Eisenberg
    Armon Theis
    Mary Best

Child Psychs:
    Michael Lustick
    Ellen Fischbein
    Nancy Moss

Any input would be appreciated as well as any other names.

Thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM