Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    K
    I have relatively young kids (11 & 7) that are being homeschooled at the moment. We live in a somewhat large metro area with a rich secular homeschooling community. I know many kids that have successfuly gone to competitive colleges and universities after high school, or have gone early. Most kids do some college at high school age. And some kids chose to go back into a brick and mortar school at some point. To me, it seems like most of the secular homeschooling community I'm in contact with has kids that would need GT and/or 2E/LD programming in a regular classroom.

My kids are extroverted and they don't stand out. Most other kids they meet up with activities do not know they're homeschooled. Most of the homeschooled kids my kids relate well too are more on the too verbal and social for their own good end of the spectrum. crazy

That said, some parents do chose to homeschool because they have a quirky child that would have a hard time in a regular classroom. OR they choose it because of extreme religious and/or political views and they make a point of isolating their kids from the larger society. Either way, if these kids were dropped in a PS classroom they wouldn't magically be social and outgoing. They'd be socially awkward kids in a regular classroom. I know they exist because my son had a couple kids in his classes the 2 years he attended school that barely would speak or make eye contact (I volunteered weekly).

Anyway, getting a child to that point through homeschooling takes some serious planning and organization, but it is certainly can be a good, flexible option for HG/PG kids. I am in complete stall mode with my 5th grader because he has no interest in early graduation. I have him doing theater and music and circus arts classes and whatever else I can keep him busy with like writing a novel.

L
    L
    Thank you very much.

L
    L
    My son has to wear the brace full time but he hasn't been able to fall asleep in it. I have looked on SPD message boards and scoliosis boards and never found any posters who had both sensory issues and scoliosis. I would love for someone to tell me how my son can get used to pain so that it doesn't distract him and he can actually fall asleep in it. His first orthotist told him that most people can get used to the pain. He is still trying. He is not giving up.

Is there a minimum age before they'll do the surgery? I didn't thing they did the brace for an extended time anymore.

~amy
    P
    P
    There are A LOT of people who are affected by chronic pain of one sort or another. Maybe broaden your search to look at techniques for coping with chronic pain such as meditation, biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc. What sorts of treatments has he had for chronic pain?

I don't know that you'll net that much under sensory and a problem that affects primarily teenagers because typically sensory concerns lessen over time as the nervous system matures. So, for most kids into the teenage years it isn't really a stand alone diagnosis but would be more often seen with something like autism.

Even if the chronic pain management techniques aren't perfect DOING something, anything about pain can be a helpful thing. And getting some help with the emotional aspects of having his teen years be so disrupted would probably be helpful.

passthepotatoes reminded me - does your son see a chiropractor? I know there are a lot of quack ones out there, but there are also some fabulous ones as well. The one I see used to be a primary care physician but decided to scale back and do something different - as such she doesn't promise to cure anything, only to help relieve tension and pain. She also teaches various stretches and exercises, and allows the patients to use the decompression table. I personally can't use the table due to my vertebra being fused to my pelvis, but a lot of folks with scoliosis LOVE it.

You might also try a DO, as opposed to an MD. They are typically more open to using manipulation and homeopathic remedies in addition to the traditional medical answers.

~amy
    I have an acute joint issue that is now going away. I have a very high pain threshold. But it still kept me from sleeping well. I don't think you get used to pain. You just learn to cope.

I just wanted to add that two friends in the Army were severely injured a few years ago. One went on meds for the pain and the other refused. Both still could not sleep well. It took several years for the pain to go away.

Last edited by Austin; 01/23/12 07:47 AM.
    Back to the OP, in my state, a child can only earn a diploma by going to high school and taking the requisite courses. If the child is homeschooled, they can earn a GED. Yes, they can only acquire the graduation certificate of juvenile delinquents.

The child can avoid the social stigma of having a GED in these ways:

1) Earn an advanced degree. Then nobody cares about the GED, because the degree trumps high school. Of course, not everyone goes on to earn a degree.
    2) Earn the GED at a young age, and say so in the resume. Because when an employer sees a GED, they assume "graduated at 25," not 15.
    3) Homeschool until the child is ready for high school, then enroll and get a diploma. This is typically the point at which public schools have something to offer gifted kids, because AP.

Just something to think about. For my DD, homeschooling is something we've done before and is still very much an option, but if we go back to it, we're thinking of option 3.

P
    P
    It wasn't a fit for our child, but for my chronic pain I've found chiropractic somewhat helpful. Even more helpful for me has been working on the mind connection with biofeedback and therapy and lifestyle stuff like sleep hygiene. None of it is a "cure" that makes pain go away, but all of it can make pain a less central focus of life. Even if none of it improves the level of pain, I think it is worthwhile because living with chronic pain has big implications for life. What will work for an individual will vary, but the key is doing something. There are lots of people with chronic pain and lots of potential avenues for help.

I'm also thinking that some help might come from connecting with other people with scoliosis. If you look at the research compliance rates on using braces are quite low. Clearly, a lot of teenagers have trouble with it.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Back to the OP, in my state, a child can only earn a diploma by going to high school and taking the requisite courses. If the child is homeschooled, they can earn a GED. Yes, they can only acquire the graduation certificate of juvenile delinquents.

What state are you talking about? Typically homeschools are allowed to grant diplomas. And, in higher regulation states there is also the option to work with an online or umbrella school to get an accredited transcript. There are many, many homeschoolers who have been graduated high school by their parents and have entered highly selective colleges on parent issued diplomas.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM