I have relatively young kids (11 & 7) that are being homeschooled at the moment. We live in a somewhat large metro area with a rich secular homeschooling community. I know many kids that have successfuly gone to competitive colleges and universities after high school, or have gone early. Most kids do some college at high school age. And some kids chose to go back into a brick and mortar school at some point. To me, it seems like most of the secular homeschooling community I'm in contact with has kids that would need GT and/or 2E/LD programming in a regular classroom.

My kids are extroverted and they don't stand out. Most other kids they meet up with activities do not know they're homeschooled. Most of the homeschooled kids my kids relate well too are more on the too verbal and social for their own good end of the spectrum. crazy

That said, some parents do chose to homeschool because they have a quirky child that would have a hard time in a regular classroom. OR they choose it because of extreme religious and/or political views and they make a point of isolating their kids from the larger society. Either way, if these kids were dropped in a PS classroom they wouldn't magically be social and outgoing. They'd be socially awkward kids in a regular classroom. I know they exist because my son had a couple kids in his classes the 2 years he attended school that barely would speak or make eye contact (I volunteered weekly).

Anyway, getting a child to that point through homeschooling takes some serious planning and organization, but it is certainly can be a good, flexible option for HG/PG kids. I am in complete stall mode with my 5th grader because he has no interest in early graduation. I have him doing theater and music and circus arts classes and whatever else I can keep him busy with like writing a novel.