Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #119271 01/04/12 11:10 AM
    herenow Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was thinking about something a teacher did for dd recently. Sort of a little thing, but very thoughtful. And I wondered if we've ever had a teacher appreciation thread. I didn't find one on the search bar, so I thought I might start one.

Have any of your child's teachers done something noteworthy with respect to your dc? Maybe something that shows that they "get" this gifted thing? (or maybe that they just "get" kids in general)

For example: dd recently had an in-class reading. She found the material very upsetting (although she seemed to be the only one affected by the story). The next day the teacher quietly took her aside and asked if she would rather not participate in the class that day, as they were going to watch some of the movie of the story. DD chose to leave the room and go to the library. It was all done so that she felt accepted and appreciated for her sensitivities.

U
    U
    What a lovely story.

I recently asked DD's teachers to talk to her about perfectionism WRT her writing assignments, and I get the impression she did a great job. She is the first teacher who has seemed to "get" DD since preschool, when she had several who appreciated her. It's probably not a coincidence that this is a teacher at a gifted school.

S
    S
    I am grateful to the preschool teacher who gently reminded me that although Nick is very bright, he is still 3 yo and it is normal for 3 yo boys to hit/tackle/be boisterous! Sometimes he acts so grown up it is hard to remember he's still soooo little! smile
    Now that he's 4 he's outgrown those behaviors, just as she assured me things WOULD get better! smile

D
    D
    My own dear teacher in grades 4-5 who taught me to diagram sentences, gave me logic problems and interesting maps, and let me conceal a book under my desk to read when I was bored or finished with other things.

That I remember her still says something. It's been a while.

DeeDee

S
    S
    Great idea� Can�t thank enough to my son�s teachers for the great work they are doing �.

The kindergarden teacher:
    -Proactively pursued to get DS skipped in first grade
    -Made sure DS is challenged and not bored in her class.

The first grade teacher
    - Sends DS to the library where the librarian helps him do more research on some of the topics taught in the class.
    - Few times a month does one-on-one science projects during recess.
    - Sends books her 3rd grade son enjoys reading.

G
    G
    What a great thread smile We haven't had much luck at preschool/school, but my daughter has a wonderful instructor at one of her extra curricular sports activities who very much gets dd's physical anxieties. She calmly and gently encourages and pushes dd past her fears and has helped dd become much, much more confident re her strength and physical capabilities (and she has been instrumental to showing dd that it's ok to try, even if it doesn't work the first time).

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    I was usually a model student, but in 2nd grade my patience reached its end with morning math. The tediousness of doing simple addition and subtraction with 4+ digits and 3+ values every single morning made me snap, and I developed a habit of wadding up my paper and shoving it into my (already chaotic) desk. My teacher would notice my paper missing from the stack when they were all turned in, ask me where it was, and I'd respond by folding my arms and declaring, "I didn't do it." Rather than rise to the bait, she'd ask the girl next to me to check my desk (who was all too happy to find it), then she'd smooth it out, lay it back on my desk, and ask me to finish.

The next year, I won the school spelling bee, so I was going on to the district. My family was very poor, and it showed in my wardrobe. My third grade teacher and this same second grade teacher together took me out of school in the middle of the school day to go shopping, and they bought me a couple of outfits and some new shoes, so I'd have something nice to wear for the district competition.

I'm not even sure that second part would be legal today.

DD9's teachers, last year and this year, have gone above and beyond to establish a trusting relationship with DD. Her teacher from last year actually lobbied to have the importance of this relationship put into her IEP. She found that everything turned around with DD when she realized that her teacher was trying to understand her and wanted her to succeed. This year, her teacher has taken that idea to heart and it took only a month and a half for DD to decide that she loves her. Last years' teacher keeps in touch with DD via email and often checks in with me to see how she is making out. They get payed for teaching, not for caring. You can't put a price on that extra little thing, because it means more than anything else to DD.

Sadly, her current teacher will be going on maternity leave soon. DD is very anxious about this (and so is Mama!!).

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    When DD was in preschool her teacher allowed her to read the stories to the class at circle time and to have some extra "alone" time when she was having a tough time dealing with others who didn't get her.

DD's art teacher 2 years ago had her after school for private lessons during which DD would be given choices of art projects to do and the supplies to go at it.

This year, it is another art teacher who welcomed her into her art room, loans her supplies and who is putting on an art show (next week) with DD's work as 1/2 the show.

She also has an English teacher who meets her at the library on Friday mornings this year for class because the school won't let DD in her 6th grade gifted English class. This teacher has gotten DD to accept suggestions on her work and raised her writing to amazing levels, all while allowing her to be a silly little 8 year old.

O
    O
    My DD8 is such a sweetie and model student that most teachers seem to appreciate and do a little extra for her. He K teacher gave her an amazing narrator part in a play, that I thought would be too hard. 1st grade teacher would ask her about her reading and encourage her with her writing. In 3rd the teacher looks for ways to challenge her.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent