Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    What are UK parents using or recommending for online courses - especially Science & Maths (KS3 and up)

C
    C
    Nothing British! Currently Alcumus and the eIMACS AP calculus prep course; earlier ALEKS. Ours is just for extras; are you looking for a main syllabus for homeschooling? I don't know anything online that ends up at any of the British exams, I'm afraid.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi again ColinsMum

Looking for general stuff really, to give some structure to the curriculum for him. Maybe we will just have to work through the GSP books and supplement with what we can find (KhanAcademy on Youtube for example).

Any idea where you can get hold of worksheets suitable for years 7 - 11?

C
    C
    GSP? Don't recognise that, sorry.

I don't know a good source of worksheets but I think I wouldn't expect to at that level - seems to me that maths at that level has a higher explanation-to-routine-exercise ratio than earlier, and therefore you're more in the zone where textbooks are appropriate. I can mildly recommend the Collins Cambridge IGCSE book, and then all the Bostock and Chandler ones for A level stuff.

Ah, come to think of it, you might like to look at Manga High. It totally annoyed me by taking away the nice interface for topic choosing from people with the kind of registration I had, but I think you could register as a "school" and get access to it. The "Prodigi" quizzes on particular topics are quite nice provided you have a way to pick topics that are really appropriate for your child, and there are a lot of them.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    A
    Not worksheets, exactly, but the BBC Schools site has games, exercises, and exam review for many different age/grade levels.

(I can only pass on what I know about math resources.) Someone at a homeschooling website recommended the Mathematics Enhancement Programme. I checked it out and it seems good for enrichment/practice. For actual worksheets and problems, you might like the Singapore Math workbooks and Challenging Word Problems / Intensive Practice. The workbooks aren't as dreadful as they may sound-- they actually seem to shake it up quite a bit with different sorts of games and puzzles (I didn't realize this until just recently when someone recommended them, as I'd never cracked them open since DS seems not to do as well with a lot of drill).

IXL and ALEKS might suit your son well too, for online resources; IXL is just for skills practice but is quite well suited to a kid who likes to skip around and doesn't need practice in everything. And, of course, EPGY might be an option; I'm not aware of any restriction on UK people if you sign up through the open enrollment option.

ETA: yvonnemommy wrote today in another thread, "DD has been using math pro on beestar. It offers online math worksheets. You can have your kid try the Gifted Talented Math."

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM